REUTERS: Martins pulls out of Nigeria Nations Cup squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet
REUTERS: Martins pulls out of Nigeria Nations Cup squad

Post by Vincent. »

Inter's Martins pulls out of Nigeria Nations Cup squad

LAGOS, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins has withdrawn from the Nigeria squad for this month's African Nations Cup in Tunisia to enable him concentrate on his club career.

"Going to the Nations Cup will be injurious to my club career, so I won't go to the training camp and will not play in the tournament," Martins told reporters at his Lagos home where he is on holiday.

Martins, 19, was among 41 players Nigeria invited to the Portuguese resort of Faro to prepare for the tournament, starting on January 24.

Nigerian FA (NFA) secretary-general Taiwo Ogunjobi said he was surprised at Martins's decision after the player had earlier agreed to go but said the soccer body respected it.

"We can't force any player to wear the country's colours, so we'll abide by his decision," Ogunjobi said.

The NFA has made several overtures to Martins to play for Nigeria since his career took off.

In October he withdrew at the last minute after agreeing to play in the soccer tournament of the All Africa Games. He also declined invitations to the under-23 soccer squad for the 2004 Olympic Games qualifiers

About 25 of the Nigeria squad are in Faro preparing for the Nations Cup, where the side will face debutants Benin Republic and former winners South Africa and Morocco in the first round group matches.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

well i told u all he wasnt going, nice decision by the young man. I hope he gets called up in the future which is about 6- 8 months from now. (athens04)
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

For some reason, i was expecting to hear this. I would love to see Martins in our national colours........but i guess Martins understands his situation better than we do. Although, the Nations cup would have been a good arena for Martins to stage himself as a world class striker.
T-Dot
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I suppose we have to move on. Options available to Chukwu upfront are not limited, so he will have to judge who he plays alongside Aghahowa.

Personally, I would play Utaka and Aghahowa as my striking partnership.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Well martins is kind of smart he doesnt want to go so jayjay 's vote for APOY will not contested by 2 nigerians.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

A regretable decision. And a more regretable excuse!
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Good luck to him.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

From the BBC

never played for the Super Eagles, has spurned overtures from the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to represent his country.

In October, Martins withdrew at the last minute from playing in the football tournament of the All Africa Games while he has also declined invitations to take part in any of Nigeria's 2004 Olympic Games qualifiers.

"We can't force any player to wear the country's colours, so we'll abide by his decision," said NFA secretary-general Taiwo Ogunjobi.

Martins has been in impressive form for Inter Milan this season, scoring four times in his eleven appearances.

The striker was one of five African players recently shortlisted by the Confederation of African Football for their 2003 Caf Player of the Year award.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Vindave, do you see why it isn't always the best to post all these Naija newspaper's copy and paste on here, unless it's a commentary, that is. Their news articles are usually 2-3 days out of date.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Good luck to the boy. He would have been useful in Tunisia but if he dont wanna play he dont wanna play
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

good decision by martins
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

I guess i should wish him luck too.
All the best.
We need hifor the Olympic team though
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

It's about time we leave this dude alone. Now, he might have found himself between the rock and hard places, the fans' obsession with him can only serve to inflate his ego, for an up and coming lad.

As he's unproven in the national teams, while we wish him success, NOTHING guarantees he'll be successful in the green jersey anyway. Martins' decision, while it's his prerogative and should be respected, may just mean open doors for so many other jewels with his potentials in the streets of Nigeria. For instance next door in Italy, his peer in Turin, Benjy is as hot and is being penned down for the Eagles U-23 squad.

My fear is that the ghost of this decision may haunt Martins for a long time.. It's admirable when people like Yekini, Kanu and Okocha speak of the joy they share with the fans - the hassles in the national teams notwithstanding. People still wonder till today what might have been, had the Usiyens, the Ehilegbus etc.. continued their national team careers. As those were PROVEN commodities, actually delivered and Naija fans cherished them and had come to expect much of them and their talents. Yet when they prematurely made their decisions to exit, Eagles still went on to maintain the green-white-green pride and reputation - even went on to achieve greater heights in later years in the absence of these great ballers.

Life is about choices and I hope history will be kind to Martins. Good luck to him!
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Baggy
Egg
Egg

Post by Baggy »

I wish he does'nt get a call up.
He has messed us up many times now.
What's his excuse. Club story?
Others play for there clubs as well.
Only a player who is not sure of himself would be afraid of getting his club
spot back.

So, i don't buy his excuse, let him go chop s***, and let know one encourage him as well for doing a good thing. :x :x
I now see through the eyes of JESUS CHRIST - An Indian woman HEALED by our LORD JESUS CHRIST @ Ben Hinn Healing Crusade .
What About You?

What we do, does not define who we are, what define's us is how well we rise after we have fallen.

The only consistency of the referees is there Inconsistencies - Wigan FC Manager.
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

Abbey, you are spot on.

Since he has decided to let us down. The people of Nigeria and NFA should never invite that guy as long as the Sun shines.

Club career my arse
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

The guy needs to be taught a lesson! I think Naija should invoke the FIFA penalty!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

I think this dude should be totally ignired. That is my honest opinionn. Atleast for teh next 5 years
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]RudeBoy[/color] wrote:The guy needs to be taught a lesson! I think Naija should invoke the FIFA penalty!
There is no need for that. He has made his decision so we should respect that and move on. At our hour of need he let us down. I pray he never has to find himself in a predicament that will require him needing Nigeria to bail him cos we won't forget this day.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
cidoski
Egg
Egg

Post by cidoski »

hope he does not warm the bench at inter throughout the nations cup
Never argue with an angel*. They'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience........ha ha ha
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

NFA chiar, u said it almost right. I will say 4get him 4ever.
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Good luck to the brother but as the saying goes, there ain't no guarantees in life... so you make decisions and move on... meanwhile, that shirt will not be waiting for him to make up his mind. As far as i'm concerned, martins is just another african playing in europe until he truly embraces his country. As a fellow african brother, i wish him well, but as a Nigerian I could care less about whether or not he gets another chance to wear the green colors cause the eagles is 1 million times bigger than Martins. I hope he's not pulling our legs about deciding to tighten up his starting shirt at inter. I guess only time will tell... My bet is that come Athens 2004.... i.e. if we qualify (w/o him of course), he'll sing us the same song about wanting to solidify his club shirt... the same will happen when WC qualifiers start... and so on and so forth... so let me guess, our best bet is that after comitted brothers like JAG, YAK, & Utaka would have hopefully secured a germany'06 ticket, he'll surface from the woodworks then to demand a green shirt to play in the world cup.... trust me, if that happens, i'll disown my country.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

That brat should never be invited again. if he felt that he was not ready for the S.E why then did he not join the u23 team knowing how crucial their macth was. :x :x :x :x the boy is just taking us for a ride.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

He is grown up and is allowed to make his decisions. If he says he is afriad for club lets respect that.