If you scored 3 goals and still lost, you are bad!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Elexus
Egg
Egg
If you scored 3 goals and still lost, you are bad!!!

Post by Elexus »

I suggested that we needed Martins to outscore the opposition since our defence is inherently the worst among the contemporary African football powers, but the rejoinders I got were so dismissive of the suggestion and some treated with contempt.
Anyway, Martins has made it clear it is not going to ANC. But on the evidence of today's match with Senegal, do you still find my original idea ridiculous?
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

ELEXUS:
I would not necessarily sat "ridiculous", but....

The problem lay not with the attack (so the Martins thesis goes out the window). They scored THREE AWAY GOALS for goodness sakes!

On the other hand, there is no indication that even if they had scored six goals that the defense would not have conceded eight!
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

I think we should all understand football happens like this.Just look at that Brazillian team at trhe 96 Olympics.They were a very good team but hey they lost 4-3 to Naija but thats old news.This same team can prepare better and beat the same senegalese team by a better margin.Lets move on and look ahead of us instead of dwelling on this defeat when we have many more games to play.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Omey2k wrote
I think we should all understand football happens like this.Just look at that Brazillian team at trhe 96 Olympics.They were a very good team but hey they lost 4-3 to Naija but thats old news.This same team can prepare better and beat the same senegalese team by a better margin.Lets move on and look ahead of us instead of dwelling on this defeat when we have many more games to play.
Looks like Omey2k forgot to smoke weed today. :mrgreen:
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

Gotti wrote:ELEXUS:
I would not necessarily sat "ridiculous", but....
On the other hand, there is no indication that even if they had scored six goals that the defense would not have conceded eight!
Sad as this may sound, this is not unique to us. Agreed we need to solve this problem, but major teams with attack-minded traditions suffer from this. There just aren't enough players with defensive ambition in the armoury of these teams. Examples include not only Nigeria but even almighty Brazil. Real Madrid is also obviously troubled by this, usually using the middle of the pack to contain opponents.

On the other hand, Germany (as an attacking side) with its discipline is an exception, but then they have always been balanced as opposed to being totally offensive. Holland too, though well-stocked with players of predatory instincts is traditionally not particularly gifted with hard tacklers in their backlines. They tend to concede many goals with quality oppositions (many times against Germany, vs. Brazil in WC'94, recently vs. Czech Rep. However they more than make up for their weak rearguards in their "total football" philosophy and also, unlike us, they are blessed with reliable pairs of hand on the post.

All that said, why can't Abdullahi focus on this problem a bit more? He's been constantly losing the plot when something is at stake... even against weaker teams as we saw today.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Our DEFENCE TODAY and THE TEAM AS A WHOLE let the COUNTRY DOWN. Conceding 2 Goals in 5 minutes. Conceding a Penalty in less than a minutes when your Team took the lead and conceeding another goal 5 minutes to full time--Tell the story.
I am still hopeful though.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Guest,
it couldn't have happened any other way, it was Written
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

GUEST wrote:Our DEFENCE TODAY and THE TEAM AS A WHOLE let the COUNTRY DOWN. Conceding 2 Goals in 5 minutes. Conceding a Penalty in less than a minutes when your Team took the lead and conceeding another goal 5 minutes to full time--Tell the story.
I am still hopeful though.
Guest, you sum it up very well. I am waiting for Abdullahi's comments on this match. Last time he claimed the boys just didn't play to instructions. Yes, there is still hope with 3 more matches if we raise our game.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Scourge wrote:
Omey2k wrote
Looks like Omey2k forgot to smoke weed today. :mrgreen:
Yes, He has been very objective of late, and the vulgarism seems to be a thing that went with the past year! :?
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

BigPokey24 has obviously taken over from Omey2k in the vulgarness ranks. I guess Omey2k is realising, he can do more :mrgreen:.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

omey2k4 wrote:I think we should all understand football happens like this.Just look at that Brazillian team at trhe 96 Olympics.They were a very good team but hey they lost 4-3 to Naija but thats old news.This same team can prepare better and beat the same senegalese team by a better margin.Lets move on and look ahead of us instead of dwelling on this defeat when we have many more games to play.
Why are you talking fantastic sense? Is it a new year thing?
ayohoff
Egg
Egg

Post by ayohoff »

Guys, we can't be winners all the time.Lets look at the good side,even without Martins we can score three away goals against senegal and we have the services of Ikhana now regarded for Enyimba's astute defensive play in the champions league.There is great home so long we win our next two home games and at least draw the away game
great goal!
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

27 Wrote
Why are you talking fantastic sense? Is it a new year thing?
it remains for him to start supporting Arsenal to complete the Package :mrgreen:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Eluxus:
I don't think you have this one right.

This is a good Senegalese team which consisted of their very best local players and some more pros like Bocande. Senegal's local side runs the local tourneys in the region. To be honest, even teams like Mali, Guinea and even Ivory Coast have traditionally been dominated by Senegal. Add a few good young pros to the mix and you have a formidable side that can hold their own against some of the better A sides in Africa. So I wouldnt be too harsh on the U-23 side. They lost to a good side.

I don't think Senegal will qualify. Even the commentator said as much. According to him, the most important thing for Senegal is to get a solid base together (ie other than the Lions Teranga). :) It will be diffiuclt for them to get a result in Nigeria.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

I beg to differ. Like Brazil, we should be qualifying for all the FIFA sanctioned tournaments out there! Period!!
ayohoff wrote:Guys, we can't be winners all the time.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

Gadfly,
I love the avatar.

Big ups, Finito!!!!!!!!!!

LEGEND!!!!
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

omey2k4 wrote:I think we should all understand football happens like this.Just look at that Brazillian team at trhe 96 Olympics.They were a very good team but hey they lost 4-3 to Naija but thats old news.This same team can prepare better and beat the same senegalese team by a better margin.Lets move on and look ahead of us instead of dwelling on this defeat when we have many more games to play.
Wondas shall neva cease to end :roll: :?
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Good point Omey2k.
who no know go know.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Eagle Winged wrote:BigPokey24 has obviously taken over from Omey2k in the vulgarness ranks. I guess Omey2k is realising, he can do more :mrgreen:.
i come in peace but u tend to push me over the cliff, well i dont blame u i blame the,,,,,,,,,,, let me stop there
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

I guess that means the Brazillian Olympic team of 1996 were bad to lose to a Nigerian olympic team that can only count 4 stars out of the team, meanwhile you have that same Brazillian team that formed the backbone of the 2002 World Cup winning team...

Listen we lost to Senegal, they did what they had to, we now have to fix our rear end and learn from the mistakes..

Man there are so many fickle fans around :roll:
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

Did anyone actually watch the match or are all
these commentaries from reading articles on
the web?