"The Nations Cup is Stupid"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet
"The Nations Cup is Stupid"

Post by General Trousers »

Brazilian-born Santos will represent Tunisia in African Nations
Fri Jan 2, 3:00 PM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 0102200027

SOCHAUX, France (AFP) - Brazilian (news - web sites)- born striker Santos confirmed he will take up his place in the Tunisia squad for the African Nations Cup despite the fierce opposition of his French first division club Sochaux.

AFP/File Photo

Santos qualified for Tunisian nationality after playing for the Etoile du Sahel club for four years and was named in the national squad for the first time by coach Roger Lemerre last month.

Sochaux coach Guy Lacombe said: "It's disappointing for the club, for the squad and perhaps also for the player who has not listened to my advice. It's a stupid decision."

The tournament begins on January 24, but Sochaux will not allow Santos to join the Tunisian squad until after their league match against Rennes a week earlier. Sochaux have also refused Santos' suggestion that he returns to France for league matches during the tournament.

The timing of the African Nations Cup has enraged other European sides who are facing losing top stars in the middle of their league season.

English Premiership side Tottenham are asking FIFA to check striker Freddie Kanoute's eligibility to play for Mali, while Bolton are furious at being deprived of influential Nigerian midfielder Jay-Jay Okocha.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

This ANC will be very very interesting.
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

These guys make it seem like the Nations Cup is some second rate tournament.
T-Dot
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

He said the desicion was stupid. Not the competition.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Whoah! How's that for a misleading headline!?!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

this is a 419 thread
Egg

Post by umelo14 »

General Trousers, hello General, how ya doin? hope pretty good? could you please tell tell how add a picture to my posting.
Obino14
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

27 wrote:He said the desicion was stupid. Not the competition.
27:

You totally misunderstood me. If this was a player a going for the Euro cup..............you would not get that type of reaction from any coach.........(It's a stupid decision) I understand the position the player's putting his club in, but hey, it just comes with the territory. Hence my reaction was that in the mind of many the ANC is a second rated tournament.
T-Dot
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

War of words.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

I don't see the difference. The headline is not misleading, the inference for calling his decision stupid in not even a step short of dismissing the tournament ...
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Just because it is African and it takes their players away from them,they are allowed to say anything they want.

The reason why it is held in this busy period is because of Sepp Blatter's decision to focus more viewers on his $#% Confed cup and Euro 2004 to corrupt more $
azuka

Post by azuka »

What are you guys bad belli-ing about. So if that brazilian in the Portuguese national team gets selected for Euro 2004, the European nations cup is also stupid? Or WC 2002 must have been stupid because a Ghanian played for Germany? Grow up guys. The more the merrier.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Azuka, abeg read the comments ... we are lambasting the coach for blaming the player
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Sooner or later, the ANC would have to be rescheduled to the summer at the odd year dates, probably starting with the 2009 edition.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
azuka

Post by azuka »

My bad!!!
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Its a Goal wrote:Sooner or later, the ANC would have to be rescheduled to the summer at the odd year dates, probably starting with the 2009 edition.

IAG:

If I am CAF, there will be no such rescheduling.

CAF has bent over far back to appease these European clubs and yet they keep asking for more. What exactly has European given up to respect FIFA's own calendar? Please answer.

Do you realize that the summer could in most of Africa is part of the rainy season and thus a high chance of disruption in this competition. Do you realize that the ANC used to be played in March, right in the midst of the Euro season. CAF moved the ANC to January to appease Europe and to avoid the beginning of the rainy season. Do you realize that FIFA's calendar had provided for confederations to host their tournaments in January or in Summer? The ANC comes within that specified window. Do you also realize that Europe, example EPL, has steadfastly refused to pare down its top league to 14 teams in order to shorten its season as requested by FIFA.

Man, Europe has a lot of work to do.