GOALKEEPERS CRISIS IN FARO!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglet
Eaglet
GOALKEEPERS CRISIS IN FARO!

Post by GUEST »

Bell

Post by Bell »

QUESTION

Are the 'keepers playing these "practices" at match intensity?

As for the visas, I'd be surprised if they were cut that close.
Bell
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

The NFA official should get out of that camp.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

I beg put me! I for no let in any of those three Brazil goals! :lol:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Why are they not sending out an SOS to Murphy Akanji, the next most experienced and reliable keeper we have?
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Bell wrote:QUESTION

Bell
Good question, Bell.
I suggest that all these yeye NFA people be barred from the camp, ASAP. They are more distraction to the team. Tell me what those "NFA officials" are doing in the training camp.

As per Ike. We don't need him at all. He's past it and he himself knows it. Let's work with what we've got, goalkeepers rarely win matches.
mystic

Post by mystic »

Goalkeepers rarely win matches?

CS:

What have you been smoking lately? Time and again we have seen that goalkeepers can be a huge difference in a game. They can lift you with crucial saves, or finish you with yeye blunders.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

mystic wrote:Goalkeepers rarely win matches?

CS:

What have you been smoking lately? Time and again we have seen that goalkeepers can be a huge difference in a game. They can lift you with crucial saves, or finish you with yeye blunders.

Mystic, take it from me, goal keepers make little or no difference in most matches. For one, a good defense can make any goal keeper good. Back them, at CKC, we never get good keepers, it was like a cuss, but we did win everything you can think of...bar none.
And moreover, if goalkeepers win matches then Brazil wouldn't get anywhere close to a world championship.

Feel me???
Last edited by Cyber Saint on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

mystic wrote:Goalkeepers rarely win matches?

CS:

Mystic:

I completely agree with you. Goalies are a cruicial part of the game. One of the reasons behind the success of Italy is excellent goalkeeping! And we all remember how Schmeichel stood between Germany and Euro '92 trophy. Compare that to the great Brazilian team of '82 that came with Perez, a poor GK....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
mystic

Post by mystic »

CS:

With a philosophy like that, all I can say is that thank God you are not handling the national team.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]mystic[/color] wrote:CS:

With a philosophy like that, all I can say is that thank God you are not handling the national team.
Kpom.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

LOL
CS, u think Dida is not good? :o
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

CyberSanit, Some countries have awesome goalies that,to be realistic, could be an equally good replacement for another. Take for example the Italians(Buffon, Abiatti and Toldo) which reminds of Toldo vs the Dutch in Euro 2000 and then look at the germans, they have Kahn, Lehmann, Butt and Hildebrand (whom I watched during Nig 99) now where the heck is Sam Okoye? We have a lot of goalies but the difiiculty in making a choice is that they are all horrible. As far as I am concerned, unless you had some pot, you should not have made such a comment .
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Guys why argue with a guy who has never trapped a ball in his life? A person who says Udeze and Cele will play right back when the ANC starts kaiii a mind might be a terrible thing to waste for good.... what a pity.... :cry:
Last edited by MI5 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

I could carry the SOS to Murphy Akanji at a moment's notice. He lives just round the corner from my place. :D :D :D :D

By the way, yesterday he kept another clean sheet in a top of the table clash in the Maltese Premier League.
obong obuma
Egg
Egg

Post by obong obuma »

We will swim or sink with the guys in camp.It is irrelevant to speculate endlessly when Shorunmu has rightly declined keeping.I thought we have a goalkeeper trainer in Coach Adisa.My bigger worry is with our defensive midfield and defence.We have been weak there and the goalkeeper will be an added liability if we do not sew the two departments up.
Winning is not everything....it is the only thing!
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

CS
Na wa for you oh.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
peppersoup
Egg
Egg

Post by peppersoup »

CS:

If Goalkeepers dont win matches they can well LOSE it! Remember Papa Rufai against Denmark and Shorunmu "toros" opening against cameroun in Lagos (2000 ANC finals).

Kessey Keller was awesome against Naija in saudi 89 and it took a MUtiu to win that match. Remember Scotland 89 against Saudi Arabia and that dem winchi Goalkeeper? No matter how good your defense might be, there will always be this one minute lapse and if u dont have a good goalkeper u will be roasted a la Ghana against Germany (5-1) there goals in 3 minutes...hehehehe
"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

We nor fit play monkey post for Tunis? If na monkey post, we get good chance o

Q
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Cheii if na monkey post dem go use gor Tunisia efen na mi go keep dat wan. cheiii... :lol: :lol:

quickie wrote:We nor fit play monkey post for Tunis? If na monkey post, we get good chance o

Q
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Onigbinde set a very dangerous precedent in 2002 by taking two rookies to the World Cup. Nigeria is still suffering from that problem.

Such things fly in thwe face of every proinciple associated with the game. When I mentioned it, I was vilified on this site, now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Nigeria's one, two and three are Akanji, Egbo and Etafia i.e if Shorunmu is ruling himself out. Just as well this matter has been brought to light and the NFA is now ooking to do something about it.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Cyber Saint wrote:
Bell wrote:QUESTION

Bell
Good question, Bell.
I suggest that all these yeye NFA people be barred from the camp, ASAP. They are more distraction to the team. Tell me what those "NFA officials" are doing in the training camp.

As per Ike. We don't need him at all. He's past it and he himself knows it. Let's work with what we've got, goalkeepers rarely win matches.
WITH A VERY GOOD KEEPER, YOUR ENTIRE PLAYERS CAN MOVE FORWARD POSING CONSTANT THREAT... i.e, David Zakky (CORRECT ME ON THE NAME) of Morrocco in those days... check out their match against Germany or so in that World Cup, it was himself v the Machines.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Ayo,

There is nothing bad in the way baba Oni used Enyeama against England and Ejide in the friendlies leading up to the WC because that is how baba Oni throws players into the mix of things and gain experience from there. All this should have been followed up by continuing to upgrade their play and become more bonafide goalkeepers in terms of getting them ready when the ANC starts.

Egbo's and Akanji's experience can not be thrown away like that but when you have a coach who wasted so much precious time with different players in the friendlies we played in things like this will always come back to haunt us in the end.

If we do make it to Athens 2004 we need to add either Ejide or Enyeama as one of the overage keepers to the list for big time tournament experience.

Greg Etafia, I don't know if he has improved from Sydney 2000 with his erratic keeping but will see how things turn out in the end if he is picked... I hope he is getting better each day..
Last edited by MI5 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...