GOALKEEPERS CRISIS IN FARO!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Vindave,

Yes their coaches name is Badou Zaki one of the best goalkeepers in Africa during his time. As their coach and a former goalkeeper i see him bring some added value from his coaching pedigree by grooming and getting his keepers ready for the ANC.... The more the merrier...

VINDAVE wrote:
Cyber Saint wrote:
Bell wrote:QUESTION

Are the 'keepers playing these "practices" at match intensity?

As for the visas, I'd be surprised if they were cut that close.
Bell
Good question, Bell.
I suggest that all these yeye NFA people be barred from the camp, ASAP. They are more distraction to the team. Tell me what those "NFA officials" are doing in the training camp.

As per Ike. We don't need him at all. He's past it and he himself knows it. Let's work with what we've got, goalkeepers rarely win matches.
WITH A VERY GOOD KEEPER, YOUR ENTIRE PLAYERS CAN MOVE FORWARD POSING CONSTANT THREAT... i.e, David Zakky (CORRECT ME ON THE NAME) of Morrocco in those days... check out their match against Germany or so in that World Cup, it was himself v the Machines.
Last edited by MI5 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mi5, Onigbinde should have brought Ejide, Enyeama and Etafia into the World Cup team as OUTSIDERS just for experience, a bit like the way Rabiu Baita and Osaze Odemigwe were taken along. To actually drop experienced goalkeepers for them is crazy.

With Ike retiring, one of them would just have stepped into the breach. In the run-up to the World Cup, maybe another one can be introduced.

It is naive to asume that a rookie goalkeeper in Nigeria with no access to proper coaching can man goal for the Eagles. No matter how talented he is, he will not have the necessary technical know-how to get the job done.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Ayo,

No doubt and infact if we were to see things from the correct order Egbo and Akanji should have at least be taken instead of Ejide and Enyeama. Going back to ANC 2000 i always felt Egbo was the man to take over in case IKE would one day say he doesn't want to keep again. Unfortunately that did not happen. Even the in ANC 2002 when IKE got injured against Ghana Amodu brought on Akanji when i felt Egbo should have gotten the nod. Yes baba Oni has some fault here also but it shows how decayed how situation is right now in the goalkeeper department has become...

I remember stating a while back during the Olympics 2000 when Greg Etafia was messing up in goal JB should have brought in Sam Okoye who was just fresh coming off from Naija'99 where he did well despite the the problem the Flying Eagles were facing, if we had any plans or development in place to groom keepers and send them to clubs in Europe where they will be exposed to the best facilities and training, Sam Okoye would have been the ideal keeper right now to take over the SE shirt.

After all his same mates like Iker Cassilas, Fabian Carini and others are keeping for their countries now why can't we have ours doing the same thing for us? :evil: :evil: because we don't have any development in place. We use to before but not anymore. The house has fallen apart...

Whatever happens now there is nothing much we can do and i am even glad IKE is staying away not because i don't want him to come back he is great guy with an excellent personality and knows his craft very well but if he comes back trust me we will not develop any keepers we have right now. we will keep relying on the old guards to come and bail us out again, again and again. cheii...

It's a lost cause as our soccer development in all areas has fallen apart, i have always stressed that when we can't even qualify for the U-20 anymore which would have been a good avenue to expose all the keepers we have now for the world to see hey things like this are bound to happen. Laws of nature means there is no escape.

Do you know Morocco's current coach Badou Zaki was their keeper in Mexico'86 WC and was one of the best in Africa during his time. With his experience in that department i see him bringing some added value to his keepers... we shall see how they all do...

The goalkeeper position is a crucial part of the team and i mean crucial because he is the man that holds things off when the chips are down. Every country does not play with this or joke around with it because they know that could be the difference in how their teams go far in any competitions or go home very early...

Take Germany for example Oliver Khan and Jan Lemmans are the top two keepers for Germany right now and this two keepers are playing top flight futbol every week plus others coming up through the ranks. This is going to carry to 2006 WC where by the time the WC starts that department will be well covered. Today even though Oliver Khan is the undisputed number 1 for Germany right now, if he is to get injured or something happens, Germany have at least three to four solid keepers on standby ready to go....Do we have that? :?: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry: what a shame...
Last edited by MI5 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Btw for those privy to what's going on inside the camp, who were the sharp shooters sticking the ball in the onion basket with such precision?

Cheers
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Scholl, Ogwunigwe, TalkIT, Mystic, Vindave, et al.
Those of us that have played this game (apologies to mr Akinfe) know that a good defenseline can make any goalkeeper good, believe it or not.
I've given one practical example from our legendary CKC team. Here's another good example: my reliable sources told me that Best Ogedengbe was the WORST goalkeeper that ever manned the Naija goal post, but he possessed the most feared defenseline in the entire Africa (Chukwu, Boetang, Muda, Adiele, Isimah, Okpala, and later Shofoluwe etc) hence his incompetence is usually covered.

Here are the facts:
A bad defenseline will expose any goalkeeper. A good defenseline can make an average keeper good.
If goalkeepers win matches then USA, Cameroun etc would always be in contention for the WC tournament . The Italian keepers are just a little above average but their stingy defenseline make their keepers look very good. The best keeper from Italy to date remains Dino Zoff.

Opari
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

They say A Great talker is also a Great liar cheii lies, lies and continous lies every nanoseconds cheiiii cheii who told you Okey Isima, Slyvanus Okpala, Muda Lawal, Loutis Boetang were all defenders cheiii God help us all.... Who told you Sofoluwe was part of this era of players kaii cheiii what a pity.... :wink: :oops: :cry:

Cyber Saint wrote:Scholl, Ogwunigwe, TalkIT, Mystic, Vindave, et al.
Those of us that have played this game (apologies to mr Akinfe) know that a good defenseline can make any goalkeeper good, believe it or not.
I've given one practical example from our legendary CKC team. Here's another good example: my reliable sources told me that Best Ogedengbe was the WORST goalkeeper that ever manned the Naija goal post, but he possessed the most feared defenseline in the entire Africa (Chukwu, Boetang, Muda, Adiele, Isimah, Okpala, and later Shofoluwe etc) hence his incompetence is usually covered.

Here are the facts:
A bad defenseline will expose any goalkeeper. A good defenseline can make an average keeper good.
If goalkeepers win matches then USA, Cameroun etc would always be in contention for the WC tournament . The Italian keepers are just a little above average but their stingy defenseline make their keepers look very good. The best keeper from Italy to date remains Dino Zoff.

Opari
Soldier of Fortune...
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

Vindave, na Badou Zaki.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

MI5, I trust my sources more than I do you, ok.
And I'll reply you when i get back from work. And yes, Muda was a defensive/holding midfielder = defense, ok. Just like Sunny Oliseh.
Shofpluwe, i heard, played towards the later part of Best's career.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Your sources will lead you into a well with all the lies they have been feeding you... Are they the same sources that told you Udeze and Cele will be playing right back in this coming ANC?

Cyber Saint wrote:MI5, I trust my sources more than I do you, ok.
And I'll reply you when i get back from work. And yes, Muda was a defensive/holding midfielder = defense, ok. Just like Sunny Oliseh.
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

MI5 wrote:Your sources will lead you into a well with all the lies they have been feeding you... Are they the same sources that told you Udeze and Cele will be playing right back in this coming ANC?

Mi5, please do not bother getting into this needless exchange. I will keep you posted as soon as I hear any news. Cyber Saint lives on his own planet.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Cool Ayo thanks.. I guess the next lie will be Okala and Rufai were strikers before they started manning the post...

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
MI5 wrote:Your sources will lead you into a well with all the lies they have been feeding you... Are they the same sources that told you Udeze and Cele will be playing right back in this coming ANC?

Mi5, please do not bother getting into this needless exchange. I will keep you posted as soon as I hear any news. Cyber Saint lives on his own planet.
Soldier of Fortune...
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Cyber Saint wrote:
Bell wrote:QUESTION

Let's work with what we've got, goalkeepers rarely win matches.[/color]
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! If goalkeepers are not important, then 1982 Brazillian squad at the World Cup would have made it pass Italian boyz and Rossi at the brink of an eye !
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Cyber Saint wrote:
Here's another good example: my reliable sources told me that Best Ogedengbe was the WORST goalkeeper that ever manned the Naija goal post, but he possessed the most feared defenseline in the entire Africa (Chukwu, Boetang, Muda, Adiele, Isimah, Okpala, and later Shofoluwe etc) hence his incompetence is usually covered.

Opari
This same reliable source that told you that it was Friday Ekpo who poisoned Ben Okorogu in Eagles camp in 1983/1984...hmm? For your good, in all you are getting, get understanding !!!
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cyber Saint wrote:Scholl, Ogwunigwe, TalkIT, Mystic, Vindave, et al.

Here are the facts:

Opari
Cybersaint:
1. I dont think anyone considers Ogedegbe a great goalie. He was a poor replacement for the great Okala.

2.While good defences boost 'keepers' confidence, remember the defence is organized and controlled by a great 'keeper. Having played the game, you must have realized that it's great keepers that dish out instructions all game, and not even captains.

3. I am glad you acknowledge that Dino Zoff was a great 'keeper....in fact, you said he was their greatest ever, right? Well, he led them to win the WC in '92.

4. Italians have the most stingy defence, FACT. However, their keepers are no just "slightly above average". They were outsanding, IMHO, because they never missed an opportunity to save their teams when called upon. Maybe they dont possess the flambuoyance of Higuita, Campos, Pfaff or PreudHomme, but Pagliuca, Marchegiani, Bucci and that big former Juventus goalie (I forgot his name) were great goalies.
Anyway, as far as the Eagus are concerned, an above average goalie would make us happy!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

Is Rufai still better than any of the boys we have now? If so abeg call him up. :lol:
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Please ignore Cyber Saint guys. He is distracting us from the real argument. The fact of the matter is that the Eagles technical crew are not happy with the goalkeeping situation and have sent word to the NFA in Abuja.

The source Kick Off quotes is in Abuja not Faro. The matter will be addressed as soon as Ogunjobi gets back from Senegal.
seyiblack
Egg
Egg

Post by seyiblack »

I agree with mostly everyone's comment. Goalkeepers are crucial but they very well don't represent a team. No outstanding team is/was only known for its outstanding goalkeeper. Goalkeepers help alot but that is why soccer is a team sport. A weakness is backed up by a strength. that is, a weak goalkeeping should be backed-up by a strong defence or midfield and vise versa.
Support our boys regardless of coach, ethnicity of players and pure jealousy.
DaNinja
Egg
Egg

Post by DaNinja »

Gentlemen,

I remember when we got into this discussion in depth in the original forum. There are many misconceptions about goalkeeping. The fact is that there are two basic types of goalies.

1. The instinctive and 2. The trained goalie.

When it comes to the great instinctive goalie such as Rufai, Kameni, Tim Howard, Preud Homme (The White Rufai) Juma Pondamali (fore those old enuf to remember the 80 ANC with Clarity) Rinat Dasaev and the likes, age and experience matter very little!

Now when you talk about more the trained goalies like Shilton, Badou Zaki, Zoff and co they get better with age this is the group that really gain a lot from being older.

So I would really appreciate it if we stop bundling all goalies together as iff they are all the same breed . They are not.!

If you look closely you will see that most of the great African Goalies tend to be more reflexive than trained goalies who gained their skills from trainers and not instinct.

P.S Happy New Year Y'all :|
I come in peace....
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Anyone who did not anticipate this problem must have been living under a rock. It was obvious that the absemce of Ike was gonna create a vacuum; It is for this reason that CCC must deploy 3 defensive mid fielders: Ekwueme/Ogungbure, Obodo and Olofi. Otherwise, I see lotta goals!!
...but with God all things are possible...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

We have two good solid keepers in here who have kept for CE in the past. Voodo and MYMIND abeg guys report to Faro at once... :lol:
Soldier of Fortune...
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Why the likes of Egbo and Akanji were not invited is still beyond me. those guys are very experenced. Wiht our defence not up to per, i wonder how we will manage.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

CyberSaint, if you be "Nkata" you be "Nkata" there's nothing worse for a team to have basket for a goalie.... you press pipul finish dem get wan chance dem score... b'cos you get Nkata for post...

Most Naija net minders are good shot stoppers but when it comes to being a Goalie dat wan na anoda tori...

Watching Naija goalies go afuta crosses reminds me of pesin trying to catch "Aku"...gee dem common back pass dem wan show say dem get skill instead of hoofing di ball away...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

we are having this problem this late into the tourney??/Man, God help us......Lets see if we shall prevail

THE TROPHY SHALL BE LIFTED, BUT IT WILL BE ANYBODY BUT NIGERIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....