Leeds Cheap Goal: Why Backpassing to The Goalie Anyway?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet
Leeds Cheap Goal: Why Backpassing to The Goalie Anyway?

Post by Ziontrain »

Looking at that cheap goal that Arsenal gifted to Leeds, I just don't understand. Since the FIFA rule change that forbids goalies to pick up a back pass, everyone has gone hog-wild and now they even pass to the goalkeeper WHEN NOT NECESSARY.

Now Sol Campbell had the ball. He had an opponent not far away but he was not really closed down. Yet he backpassed to the goalie. But 99.9% of the time, the goalie will do exactly what Sol can do himself: hoof it 60 yards upfield.

So why take the risk of putting the ball in your own penalty - whit the goalie unable to pick it up. Isn't that *exactly* where your opponent would prefer to see the ball go? Its like you are doing the opponents job for them.

Although I didn't want to see Leeds score, I thought it was a deserved goal. Backpassing is an unnecessarily risky tactic that really needs to go and deserves to be punished with a cheap goal. Wenger gives credit to Viduka but I disagree - its what Viduka is supposed to do. If forwards consistently chased down this with 100% genuine effort and manace, teams would stop this risky packpass nonsense.

I don't understand these managers trying to do stupid things in the name of "playing modern football". The ball should not be back passed to the goalie at all by a defender who can hoof it up randomly himself. Old time defenders used to exactly that, so why take the additonal risk of having the ball sent into your onw goal mouth to do the exact same thing - which no better accuracy on that kick upfield?

(From the Telegraph website, Monday 5th Jan 2004)
On nine minutes, Lauren's clearance on the right was charged down and, outside the area, Sol Campbell tapped a harmless back-pass towards his own goalkeeper. Viduka quickened his pace as the German shaped to clear the ball and charged down the strike to score. "I think Jens made a mistake but I would also give credit to Viduka for being quick enough to close down the ball," Wenger said.

The Arsenal manager said it was the kind of mistake that he had grown to accept from goalkeepers, especially when he asked them to distribute from the back. "During a season it can happen once or twice," Wenger said. "But the best way to help him is by making goals."
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

What was the older FIFA rule regarding back passes?
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

27 wrote:What was the older FIFA rule regarding back passes?
How old are you? :D
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Ziontrain wrote:
How old are you? :D
Why do you answer a question with a question?
carbon
Egg
Egg

Post by carbon »

Sometimes, playing the ball backwards is a better option. May be it wasn't the case yesterday.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

27 Keeper used to catch the ball in that situation..is was practiced as alte as 1990
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

FIFA brought in that rule because of Arsenal under George Graham especially.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

My thinking is is that 99% of keepers will kick it upfield as far as possible, so why can't the defender just do that himself - instead sending it to the keeper.

The Viduka goal was actually not the worst case that typically happens - the ball posession on that play actually started on defense with Lauren.

These days it seems that teams will often back pass rather than even try to do anything useful. Sometime you even see teams (Arsenal included) that at 0-0 or even down a goal that will stop an offensive move deep in opponents half merely because of slight risk of posession loss. Often its cuased by these fake wingers we see these days that do not even have the skill to dribble a full back - and they know it. Then they back-pass and the ball is worked backwards all the way to their own goalie.

Are you kidding me - where do you think the opponent wants to see the ball? You just did their job for them! You have just taken a HUGE risk putting the ball in your own danger zone. Now you have the goalie looking at theball in his own six yard box - and cant catch it - and he's facing an onrushing striker.

In the final result if you are lucky, the goalie then randomly boots upfield - percentage wise that boot out by the goalie ends up in a posession loss anyway.

So is that really better than trying to break down the opponent and doing something to score a goal? Is that better than a defender taking on the responsibiity and booting out the ball himself from a safer area ? All that risk and for what? Absolutely nothing.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
Sangalo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sangalo »

Ziontrain

Sometimes defenders are under so much pressure that tapping it back to the keeper is the best option; especially when they have their backs turned to the opponent.
"You do me, I do you, God go vex well well O!"
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Here is the goal:

The way Arsenal now play means we need a keepper who can kick a ball comfortably, Lehman is not just a goalie he is a sweeper in the system. These things happen, Lehman will be more careful in future.
Last edited by Waffiman on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Ajax were the masters of passing the ball back to goalies when they were tearing it up in Europe.LMAO i remembner the 1990 ANC dem nack back pass give Alloy Agu and the guy catch the ball LMAO!I saw that like in 94 when they were showing an old game.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^