Aghahowa interview with Naija Sun. If you can believe it.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kbt
Egg
Egg
Aghahowa interview with Naija Sun. If you can believe it.

Post by kbt »

Julius Aghahowa has picked Brazil’s Ronaldo, widely called the phenomenon, as his best footballer in the world. And would, therefore, want to emulate him by leading Nigeria to glory at the 2004 Nokia African Cup of Nations in Tunisia.
Aghahowa said "it is only a great player in the mould of the Brazilian that would have overcome such a mind boggling injury that lasted over two years, only to score the goals that led his country to a record fifth World Cup in the Far East last year.
Incidentally, since the 2002 World Cup finals, Aghahowa has been battling to save his own career, partly on account of injury and contractual disagreement with his Ukraine club, Shaktar Donetsk. But the Super Eagles is back at his goal scoring best, expressing the optimism that he wants to lead the country to glory in Tunisia.
"I like quite a number of players in the world," Aghahowa exclusively told Sunday Sunsport. "But Ronaldo is my favourite because he’s striker of strikers, with excellent technique.
"There is a reason why Ronaldo remains special to my heart. He was injured for almost two years and everybody had written him off. But he staged a dramatic come-back and led Brazil to win the Korea/Japan World Cup in 2002."
Aghahowa believed his own nightmares are over now, after scoring some 13 goals for shaktar before the winter break, and he’s desirous to make Tunisia 2004 "my own Cup of Nations."
This would be the player’s third consecutive appearance in the foremost continental championship and he enthused that it could be his best!
"Naturally, I’m looking forward to the African Cup of Nations in Tunisia," stated the star who hit the headlines at the 2000 edition hosted by Nigeria and Ghana.
"My target is to help Nigeria win the cup. We’ve won the silver, bronze in the last two editions and we have to go for the real thing in Tunisia. I don’t care if I emerge as the highest goal-scorer or not, my happiness and joy would only be complete if the Super Eagles win the cup."
This is vintage Aghahowa as he speaks on his injury, marriage, Bryan Robson, Christian Chukwu and more.
Welcome back to Nigeria. It is amazing that you scored 13 goals, despite coming back from an ankle injury mid way into the season. How did you make it?
Well, it was a bit difficult for me when I returned to the team after the injury because the trainers wanted me to go straight into the first team. I was supposed to be given enough time to come into the team gradually. They just wanted me to start playing immediately but, after one or two matches, I started having pains again. With that, I missed a couple of games, which forced the handler to give me sometime to rest yet, again. From then on, I started playing regularly again, and the pain gradually eased off.
I am happy that my recovery went on well and I felt better than before when the whole pain eventually subsided. It gave me that opportunity, once more, to come back to the team.
Before the injury, you had been drawn in a long battle with the president of Shaktar over your agitations for a possible transfer, what is the situation now?
It’s still the same because I still have a contract with the team, which is binding. The president is not ready to release me because the fans had threatened to deal with him in a ruthless way if I go to another club. He said if he agrees to put me on transfer, the fans would think he is working against the club. They believe that the club should buy more quality players to beef up the team instead of selling key players and so, I really feel for the president because he is indeed in a dilemma on how to please the fans. At a stage, he called me privately and told me that he does not have problems with me but the major difficulty lies with the fans who would not want to hear that I want to dump their club. He advised that I honour my contract with shaktar, because that is only when the fans would allow me to go, since they would not be able to say no again.
Are there no other ways to liberate yourself from the contract you signed with Shaktar Donetsk?
At a stage I was very frustrated and I decided to quit the club. I have tried everything possible; sometimes I leave Ukraine and come to Nigeria to stay for months, but the surprising thing is that when I come back to the club, they would still welcome me whole-heatedly. They would not even penalise me like any other player. Instead, the handler would field me immediately in the match because they know that anytime I am on the pitch, I usually give my very best.
I have tried everything but it did not work; that’s why I decided to relax and see my contract through with Shaktar. If I’d continued with my battle with the club, it would have affected my career and the club would have moved ahead with or without me. I consulted a lot of people, and listened to the wise counselling to move on with my career, inspite of my disagreement with the club. Even before the season ended, the president commended the level of my form and fitness. He also told me he would give me any amount, if only I agree to extend my contract, which expires in 2005.
How do you cope with the fact that you are in far away Ukraine, and your wife is most times in Nigeria?
Well, most of the times she stays with me in Ukraine for up to four months, before coming to Nigeria. During winter in Ukraine, she would come to Nigeria with my daughter because it is pretty difficult to cope with that period. The language difference had also made things difficult for my wife and daughter. You hardly meet English-speaking people in Ukraine. She’s always coming and going. That’s the way I’ve been coping with my family.
Let’s look at the national team. The last time Nigeria won the Nations Cup was nine years ago; do you see the Super Eagles repeating the feat of Tunisia ‘94 in 2004?
Football is basically teamwork and from our level of preparations, winning the Tunisia 2004 Nations Cup might be pretty difficult. Countries like Cameroon and Senegal have gone into serious preparations. The NFA are quite aware that the next edition of the Nations Cup comes up in January 2004, but the truth is that they would wait for the last minute to embark on a fire-brigade approach, which has always landed us in mess. Fundamental issues like where the team would camp should not be left to the last minute. By now, we should have known the team that would play in the tournament next January. We should have been able to monitor the players we needed ever since, so that just about two or three players would be added to the team if necessary. That’s the only way forward, towards building a solid national team. Look at Cameroon, they always have a consistent team. And when they want to introduce new players, they do it gradually. This is what is called continuity and it is unfortunate that we lack continuity in our national team. If we play a friendly match today, don’t be surprised to see about nine new players in the national team in the next friendly. That would lead us nowhere. We don’t play together; we have very good players, but we hardly play together. I keep saying it that what we have in the national team are players who are good in their own ways, but that is not the ingredients for a strong national team. Even if you field eleven Maradonas in a match, they would achieve nothing if they don’t understand themselves; and understanding comes from playing together regularly. You must know how your teammates run, how they like to receive balls. All these are done during training sessions. Like Jay Jay Okocha and I have played together a couple of times, and its easy for me to know when he wants to give me a pass. And he knows even when he is looking down, he is aware that I am making a run and he would give me the pass. We have this understanding but if it happens that Jay Jay is playing with a new striker who does not understand him. There would be problems because sometimes he might think Jay Jay wants to control the ball, whereas he wants to make a pass. All these tricks are learnt during training and I believe that it would be practically impossible to achieve these things in a few campings. All the players are coming from different clubs and backgrounds. In our club we have different styles and tactics so, there must be a programme to ensure that we play together for cohesion on a regular basis.
What target have you set for yourself ahead of the next Nations Cup in Tunisia?
My target is that Nigeria should win the cup. I don’t really have a personal target that I’ve set out to achieve. As long as Nigeria wins the cup, I don’t care if I emerge as the highest goals-scorer or not. For me, it does not matter. My greatest happiness would be for us to win, so that I can at least say that during my time in the national team, Nigeria won the Nations Cup.
Most strikers would like to partner a particular player who, in the national team, would you say you are comfortable with in the attack?
I have played with a lot of strikers in the national team and I still believe that I am still going to play with many in future. The problem I face in the national team is that I hardly play with a striker for a long time. I would be playing in the attack with somebody and, before you know it, they have brought another striker to pair me. We don’t get to understand ourselves before another player is introduced. I have not really played with one particular striker for up to a year, that is precisely the problem. So, I cannot determine who my best striking partner is because the times have been too short for me to judge.
When would you describe as your most memorable moments since you broke into the national team?
I would say it was during the Nations Cup 2000, co-hosted by Nigeria and Ghana. It was my first time in the national team and I was like a junior player among the high profile players in the squad then. I never expected that I would be given a chance to play, though I had prepared my mind to put in my best if I get the slightest opportunity. So, when Bonfrere gave me the chance to play my first game against Morocco, I played with a lot of determination and, I thank God that I was able to score a goal in my debut for the national team. After the game against Morocco, I had thought that from there I would become a regular, but to my greatest surprise the coach still kept me on the bench against Senegal. That game against Senegal is still one of the best games I’ve played for the national team because I only had five minutes to do something. From the bottom of my heart, I was moved by the courage of the coach to introduce me in that crucial game against Senegal, and that was why I was ready to give everything I had to the match. Of course, I got the equaliser, which dragged the game into extra time, before I finally scored the winning goal. That game would always remain fresh in my mind.
Nigeria was almost hiring Bryan Robson to lead Eagles to Tunisia, but now Chukwu is in charge. Do you feel the local coach can lead the national team to victory?
Well, coaches don’t play games. I can play under any coach, whether local or foreign, but I think whoever is in charge should be given enough time to prepare his team. The coach should also be given a free hand to select whoever he feels can deliver in the national team.
Local coaches are not bad at all because they know our players. Besides, with the short period left for us to prepare for the Nations Cup, there is nothing a foreign coach can achieve at this moment.
There have been crises everytime, what do you think is the problem with the national team?
There have been a lot of problems starting from the administration down to the players, but I feel both parties should sit down and iron things out. Things have always been difficult in the national team with issues such as ticket refunds, match bonuses and camping. Everything has been a problem. So, I feel every decision reached by players and administrators should be documented for everybody to observe. A lot has to do with the ability to organise, and the NFA fails to solve money problems during major tournaments. Majority of players who feel they don’t gain anything from the national team would continue to shun the country.
Talking about money, there were reports that the NFA had proposed a winning bonus of $3,000 to the Super Eagles for the Tunisia 2004 Nations Cup, do you think this figure is okay?
I cannot speak the mind of all the players; I can only speak for myself. Whatever I share about this issue is my personal opinion. I have never been involved in talking about the monetary aspects of the national team. Mine is to accept whatever amount has been agreed by the players and the football association. What the players get in their various clubs is more than $3,000, but we just play for the national team out of patriotism and the pride involved in doing so. Whatever the NFA has to offer, they should declare but I think the captain and some other senior players should be able to discuss that with the association.
How do you feel going back to Tunisia, a country where you played your first professional football?
I don’t have any memories, apart from the fact that I once played for Esperance. I still have a lot of friends and fans in Tunisia who love me. So, going back there as a national team player is a great achievement for me. It would indeed be a great honour to play in front of the fans who once loved me. I would love to be in Tunisia if eventually I make the 22-man list for the Nations Cup. I play my game anytime, anywhere. So, for me, its business as usual.
:D
pens
Egg
Egg

Post by pens »

This guy will go places.
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

I love his attitude but what is he still doing in nigeria?
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
peron33uk
Egg
Egg

Post by peron33uk »

you go JAG. Nah u be the man. I wish him and niaga all the best oh.
When someone tells me "God bless you", I ask the question, which God?

God - is just a title as there are many (All false).
I do not want to receive blessings from any other but from YHVH. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob(Israel), He is my God.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

Having met Julius briefly pre WC 2002, I am almost certain that this is a genuine interview and those were his comments..

Very solid replies IMHO. Aghahowa is a very intelligent player both on and off the pitch folks..he might even teach CCC and co how to use a laptop... :mrgreen:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I wish JAG the best.
Football Manager
Egg
Egg
Re: Aghahowa interview with Naija Sun. If you can believe it

Post by Football Manager »

kbt wrote: I would love to be in Tunisia if eventually I make the 22-man list for the Nations Cup.
Kai, I like how he dey rap politics for the reporter. He want may Nigeria riot before he know say na automatic shirt they wait for am for Tunisia.
:lol: :lol:
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Of course that is what all of una wan hear.He probably said the same thing prior to WC.I no get time for this crap at all,he was also responsible for Nigeria losing to Senegal.If he knew how to control a simple ball he would have scored the winner from a nice pass from Oruma.,
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

omey2k4, stfu, cos ure a liar which pass did he gt from i shoot the ball 2moro Quote oruma
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

This guy has always been patriotic and rational.
Wish him the very best!
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

He definitely is saying the right things.
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

I thought they should have asked him whom he prefered as a striking partner between aiyegbeni and agali. All the best and best of luck!
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

Dont forget he will be the top scorer in this ANC.. I have the feeling he will score mybe 6 or 7 goals...and with Kanu and okocha help he can deliver for Nigeria this man have proved his worth for Supereagles time and time again....Mybe AC MILAN WILL TAKE HIM JUST WATCH OUT FOR THIS TRIO OKOCHA, KANU ,AGHAHOWA
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Omey,

How na abeg no blame am for dat miss he did very well in that situation to control the ball and wanted to score but Tony Sylva was right in front of him who did well to save the ball with his two foot. Kanu our supposedly supporting striker was no where to be found to finish off the rebound...

omey2k4 wrote:Of course that is what all of una wan hear.He probably said the same thing prior to WC.I no get time for this crap at all,he was also responsible for Nigeria losing to Senegal.If he knew how to control a simple ball he would have scored the winner from a nice pass from Oruma.,
Soldier of Fortune...
Akingbade
Egg
Egg

Post by Akingbade »

Great words from one of the few true pros we have. :|
Don't throw stones if u live in a glass house and kindly use the pre-frontal lobe of your brain more often; scientists call it the seat of good manners...
calli65
Egg
Egg

Post by calli65 »

omey2k, you don dey smoke indian hemp, Jag commets is full of respect, All of his accomplishment for nigeria in a relative small amount of time you did not notice, but the senegal match you notice. You should win MI5 award for the most stupid and negative comments on this forumn