CAF Dishonouring Foe?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

PaJimoh
CAF Dishonouring Foe?

Post by PaJimoh »

We are arguing asbout how Europeans treat Africans but it seems we need to put or house in order first

Culled from the BBC

Caf have turned down a request from the Cameroon Football Federation (Fecafoot) to retire Marc-Vivien Foe's number 17 shirt.
Fecafoot wanted to withdraw the number 17 shirt from all Cameroon national teams as a mark of respect to Foe, who died at the Fifa Confederations Cup in June last year.

However, Suleiman Habuba, Caf's Director of Communications, told this website that the Indomitable Lions will be expected to use the number 17 shirt at this month's Nations Cup finals.

"We held a meeting recently and this request was discussed but not approved, therefore Cameroon will have squad numbers from 1 to 22 like every other country," Habuba explained.

"The main thing that Caf has done to honour Marc-Vivien Foe is to dedicate the African Super Cup in 2004 to him."

The Super Cup is played between the Cup Winners' Cup holders and the Champions League victors, so this year's match will be between the respective winners Tunisia's Etoile Sahel and Enyimba of Nigeria.

The money made from the match, in addition to a donation from the Caf executive committee, will be given to Foe's family.

Foe's family, Fecafoot and a government official will all be invited to attend the match, during which Foe will be posthumously honoured with Caf's highest award - the gold Order of Merit.

Foe died on 26 June in the French city of Lyon after collapsing in the semi-final of the Confederations Cup against Colombia.
abakwa
Egg
Egg

Post by abakwa »

I don't see how this is dishonoring late Marco. It's simply a precedence from FIFA that they are following. This was the same case with Nigeria and late Okwaraji. It's almost impossible to draw a limit because just about every country has warriors they are ready to hang up their numbers.
Signature Line 1 per Robby
Signature Line 2 per Robby
Signature Line 3 per Robby
Signature Line 4 per Robby
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

I agree with Abakwa here, perhaps a fitting compromise would have been to retire it temporarily for the ANC. I wonder how the person who is due to wear No 17 would feel about this. One thing Cameroon can do is to give the No 17 shirt to a squad player or one of the non participating players; ie someone who is not likely to play at all
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

Well said Abakwa.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
abakwa
Egg
Egg

Post by abakwa »

I would go for the captain or one of the established starters like Eto, Song or Mettomo to even wear #17. I think who ever wears the #17 should start and the emotional pressure will be too much for a new kid on the block.
Signature Line 1 per Robby
Signature Line 2 per Robby
Signature Line 3 per Robby
Signature Line 4 per Robby
gunner4life
Egg
Egg

Post by gunner4life »

I absolutely agree with Abakwa. Even Fifa refuse to retire Maradona no 10 jersey.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

So what if Zambia wanted to rest the numbers of all the player who died in the plane crash? Abakwa is right
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

Instead of retiring his shirt number, they ought to add an emblem of respect onto the Cameroon shirt design. A black band on the sleeves perhaps.
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

The only way to do this is to register 21 players,leaving out number 17!
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

Maradona's case is different, he did not die playing for Argentina. I think CAF should allow for the retirement of the shirt.

And since they have refused, thier FA should do something special on the shirt life EW said
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
PC
Egg
Egg

Post by PC »

Sepp Blatter dishonoured the great Marc-Vivien Foe by failing to cancel the worthless Confederations Cup after his death, and cajoling the Cameroonian players into remaining in the competition.
peron33uk
Egg
Egg

Post by peron33uk »

If they want to do that then they should give that number to the reserve goal keeper who is not too likely to play. that would keep the number off the pitch.
When someone tells me "God bless you", I ask the question, which God?

God - is just a title as there are many (All false).
I do not want to receive blessings from any other but from YHVH. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob(Israel), He is my God.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

peron33uk wrote:If they want to do that then they should give that number to the reserve goal keeper who is not too likely to play. that would keep the number off the pitch.

IMO, CAF has done nothing wrong. I do not believe that CAF should be forced to retire the No.17 shirt of Foe. There are other things that CAF can and will probably do to honor Foe in the ANC. That should be adequate. Let us not go overboard.