Nigerian on the Verge of Australian Soccer History

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigerian on the Verge of Australian Soccer History

Post by General Trousers »

Chima's goal is to reach seven heaven
By Matthew Hall
January 4, 2004

Should striker Chimaobi Nwaogazi create Australian soccer history today by scoring in his seventh consecutive game he will dedicate the milestone goal to his mother.

The dedication will be no idle tribute from Nwaogazi, who plays in the national competition for Wollongong Wolves.

Late last year, the striker's father died at home in Nigeria. Just a week later, his brother was killed in an accident. For the 23-year-old, Australia never seemed so far from Africa.

"It was very difficult," Nwaogazi said. "I wanted to go home but I couldn't raise the money. My mother told me not to worry because coming home would not bring my father or brother back to life.

"If I do score, I'll dedicate the goal to my mother and to the keeping of my brother and dad. I was afraid how their deaths would affect my mother but she has been strong through everything. It has been an inspiration for me."

Yet personal tragedy has delivered professional triumph. Nwaogazi's family suffered a double loss but "Chima", as Wollongong fans call the new crowd favourite, has been a winner for his team.

Nwaogazi has scored in every match since the tragedy to set a club record. One more goal at WIN Stadium tonight against Melbourne Knights and the Nigerian will equal the NSL record jointly held by Perth Glory's Damian Mori - set as an Adelaide City player in 1995 - and Marconi assistant coach Andy Harper, during a playing spell at the Sydney club in 1994.

Nwaogazi arrived in Australia last year after a blistering season in Nigeria where he was runner-up in the national league's goal-scoring charts. Offers came from clubs in Sweden, Moldova and Australia.

Sydney Olympic, then called Olympic Sharks, were fastest to lobby for his signature, but a transfer fee dispute scuppered the move. Marconi rejected the striker, who decided to back-burn in the Victorian Premier League before Wollongong made their move at the beginning of this season.

"I saw the football at the 2000 Olympics on TV and thought the Australian crowds and stadiums looked great," Nwaogazi said. "I wanted to play in the big stadiums. That was my motivation. When I arrived here the reality was a bit different.

"Wollongong is beautiful, but I don't go out much. I just train, come back home, go to church, eat. That's all.

"There's a lot of passion for football in Nigeria. You receive a lot of encouragement if you do well."

Like most people involved in local soccer, Nwaogazi is hopeful the relaunched Australian league will provide greater opportunity for his talent. Even if Wollongong do not make the cut, the Nigerian hopes to feature in the new league.

"I love Australia," he said. "I don't want to run away at the end of this season. I want to stay. I'd love to stay."

First, though, there's the back of the Melbourne Knights net tonight. The lessons of the past month, however, have shown plans are best unmade.

"I don't want to think about it too much," Nwaogazi said. "Whatever happens on Sunday, happens."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/ ... 57840.html
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

He was taken in by the glitz and glamour of Olympics. The ASL is barely comparable with the English 3rd Division! The stadiums and crowds are nothing like he saw on TV, like i'm sure he now realises.
Good luck to him.
fatty
Egg
Egg

Post by fatty »

"Nwaogazi arrived in Australia last year after a blistering season in Nigeria where he was runner-up in the national league's goal-scoring charts. Offers came from clubs in Sweden, Moldova and Australia."

Which club did he play for and how many goals did he scored to be a runner-up in the scoring chart.
From green to super, eagles are soaring to Golden.
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

Maybe he played in one of the mock Ajegunle Nations cup.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

Maybe he played in one of the mock Ajegunle Nations cup.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

fatty wrote:"Nwaogazi arrived in Australia last year after a blistering season in Nigeria where he was runner-up in the national league's goal-scoring charts. Offers came from clubs in Sweden, Moldova and Australia."

Which club did he play for and how many goals did he scored to be a runner-up in the scoring chart.

GT, this is one thing you have to check.
A lot of these chaps go abroad and claim to have been Super Eagles top scorer for six consecutive years.
I wonder who the chap is and in which league he was top scorer