Forgive me, Shorunmu begs Nigerians

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

By Patrick Omorodion
Tuesday, January 06, 2004

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/sports

•bitter with Onigbinde
Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Ike Shorunmu asked Nigerians to forgive him for failing to respond to the invitation extended to him by the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to be part of the squad for the Africa Nations Cup holding in Tunisia from January 24 to February 14.
Speaking on a Star FM radio programme Allenbury’s Glucose D Sports X-ray in Lagos, the former Besiktas of Turkey goalkeeper said that coach Christian Chukwu spoke with him on the need to join the camp in Portugal but he told the Eagles coach that it was a personal decision which he could not rescind.
“I told Chukwu that it was my decision to quit the national team. I asked him to tell Nigerians to please forgive me. Today is not like yesterday and every day one is growing”, Shorunmu said, adding that after the 2002 World Cup in Korea/Japan he told the NFA that he was quitting the national team.
He said that part of his grouse for calling it quits was the way the NFA abandoned him when he was sacked by Besiktas for honouring a call to play for the national team and Chief Festus Ongbinde’s refusal to field him in the last group match against England at the 2002 World Cup.
“If they had called me last year I would have considered it but after one year it will be difficult for me to say I want to come back. They played series of matches and they did not call me, why is it now they want me”, Shorunmu queried .
On Ongbinde, the goalkeeper was short of calling him a wicked man. He said the former Eagles coach betrayed him by not fielding him in the last match against England at the last World Cup after he confided in him that some officials of an English club were around to watch him and sign him. He said that he might be wrong to do so if he was not the first choice keeper and saw Onigbinde's decision to exclude him from the team as an act of wickedness.
He said he was more bitter about Onigbinde’s attitude because the coach kept them in the dark about his list for that match until they got to the dressing room while he had assured the club officials too. He added that as at then he had no club and needed that match to get one and start playing again. While praying for the Super Eagles to do well in Tunisia, Shorunmu said that Nigeria was not worth dying for and that he was pleading with Nigerians to forgive him as he wants to concentrate on his club and family.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

You see this useless NFA...After some of you guys wonder why Martins is looking out for himself and family first
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Well said and pls do not come back at all as it is not worth it. Based on what he said that is very bad and i look at it from many ways. It gave rise to a new SE keepers in Enyeama and Ejide who will be future SE keepers to come only if they go through some rigourous goalkeeping development which will make them better in the future. Also there is the other side of vindictiveness here based on Ike's story in which baba Oni decided to do a 360 degree u-turn on him at the last minute. Don't know what was really going on in our camp but as usual the same problems that always affect us when we play in this tournaments.

Ike gave one of the best memorable goalkeeping career performances against Argentina in Ibaraki that day except for the lapse that led to their goal he was a perfect 10 that day. I have never and i mean never seen not even Rufai or other keepers gave a fantastic performance in a match like that where it was a joy to watch and kept making saves after saves that day to keep us in the match which we should have won had we attacked more but hey baba Oni's tactics as usual. Also did very well against Sweden except the lapses that led to their goal and breakdown of our defence which is normal this days.. :cry:

I fully respect his decision and don't blame him one bit playing for naija this days is not worth it with the way players and past players have been treated by those crooks in the NFA. He has been around and it's time for us to start grooming the likes of Ejide, Enyeama, Okoye, Rotimi, Aiyenugba, Akpan and others coming up through the ranks. If we don't do this come WC'06 that is if we qualify we will be asking for Ike to come back again... time to start growing new ones...

I wish him continued success in his professional career and all the best to him... He has served us well...
Last edited by MI5 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

anikulapo wrote:You see this useless NFA...After some of you guys wonder why Martins is looking out for himself and family first
Abi o anikulapo...NFA welfare committee really sucks, I don't really know what they all do at that glass house in abuja!
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

omonaija wrote:
anikulapo wrote:You see this useless NFA...After some of you guys wonder why Martins is looking out for himself and family first
Abi o anikulapo...NFA welfare committee really sucks, I don't really know what they all do at that glass house in abuja!
...what else, just sitting for end of month salary plus egunje...
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

so basically he is mad because the former coach did not play him in the last match?? he intended to use this match as a personal advertisement to get a contract-that is why Nigeria never do well in competitions because every player is only out for what they can get-can someone remind him that football is a team effort and not an individual game-he is way past it anyway for anyone who cares :lol:
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

To me Shoronmu is sounding a bit 2 selfish, so because he had scouts 2 watch him against England then the young careers of our young goalies should be jeopardised eh!!!1 If not 4 dat match enyeama won't have come into limelight, Ike had notjing else to proove, he had good games against arg. and sweeden, what else doe he wanna proove?? I wish CCC could have Oni's balls, can't believe cos of selfish interest, he wanted 2 call the game play.
Peter Obi For President 2023
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

uzoma007 Da CE Virus wrote:To me Shoronmu is sounding a bit 2 selfish, so because he had scouts 2 watch him against England then the young careers of our young goalies should be jeopardised eh!!!1 If not 4 dat match enyeama won't have come into limelight, Ike had notjing else to proove, he had good games against arg. and sweeden, what else doe he wanna proove?? I wish CCC could have Oni's balls, can't believe cos of selfish interest, he wanted 2 call the game play.
He should have given the tapes of the first two matches he kept to the scouts...
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

marko wrote:so basically he is mad because the former coach did not play him in the last match?? he intended to use this match as a personal advertisement to get a contract-that is why Nigeria never do well in competitions because every player is only out for what they can get-can someone remind him that football is a team effort and not an individual game-he is way past it anyway for anyone who cares :lol:
WELL SAID--MARKO
The same SUPER-EAGLES tolerated him at ANC-2002 when he was clubless for almost a yr. Please this broda should move on. Thanks for your services to the Nation.
Some People sometimes ruined their greatness by what comes out of their MOUTH.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

I like IKE Shorunmu and saying not keeping in the last match was uncalled for. If there was anyone who should be mad it should be Austin Ejide who was the second keeper and should have gotten the nod before Enyeama, but that was Baba Oni's decision we all have to stand by it.

Baba Oni's trademark is throwing new players into the mix for the first time whether they are ready or not, he wants to see how well they cope when they are thrown into the wolves and that was how players like Humphrey Edobor, Yisa Sofoluwe, Paul Ekoku, Chibuzor Ehilegbu and others were thrown into the national team after they came back from Mexico'83. It's so unfortunate we don't have that kind of development anymore because our soccer structure has fallen apart for good.

Playing Ejide in the friendlies was the best thing he could have done and thrown Enyeama in there against England is a way of saying time to start grooming other keepers for future development. Just that we didn't do it after the WC. NFA and our so called sports development ministry didn't take it from there to groom this guys to become ready as they are the future keepers of tomorrow.

We see keepers like Iker Cassilas of Spain, Fabian Carini of Uruguay, and others who kept in Naija'99 and are now the number 1 keepers in their respective countries the same tournament Sam Okoye kept in also? Where is Okoye and how come he hasn't even broken into the national team yet? Is now battling it out with other keepers just to be on the team to Tunis...

We will never learn and hope one day sha all this mid-evil times our soccer is going through changes for the better...
Last edited by MI5 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

uzoma007 Da CE Virus wrote:To me Shoronmu is sounding a bit 2 selfish, so because he had scouts 2 watch him against England then the young careers of our young goalies should be jeopardised eh!!!1 If not 4 dat match enyeama won't have come into limelight, Ike had notjing else to proove, he had good games against arg. and sweeden, what else doe he wanna proove?? I wish CCC could have Oni's balls, can't believe cos of selfish interest, he wanted 2 call the game play.
There might be more to the story and if he is being truthful, why tell him there are scouts in the crowd watching him and then not play him?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

i will always rate onigbinde anyway amongst the nigerian coaches-he is the only coach who has the balls to try new talent-he may not be tactically aware like his european counterparts but i still insist that the world cup squad 2002 was the best Nigerian squad of 1998-if only they kept these players together-they only conceeded 3 goals as compared to 9 in 1998
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

marko wrote:so basically he is mad because the former coach did not play him in the last match?? he intended to use this match as a personal advertisement to get a contract-that is why Nigeria never do well in competitions because every player is only out for what they can get-can someone remind him that football is a team effort and not an individual game-he is way past it anyway for anyone who cares :lol:

Thank you so much for putting things in perspectives, Marko.
I blame those clamouring for Ike inclusion. To me, Ike has quit the national team and should be allowed to rest. Let's work with what we've got. Afterall, it's the eccentric Ike we're talking about here.
Nonsense
odi
Egg
Egg

Post by odi »

Stuff Shorumnu!
Who needs him anyway? :( :( :(
The SUPER EAGLES shall rise again!
peron33uk
Egg
Egg

Post by peron33uk »

Anyway he is old and should move on, we shouldnt be like england keeping a very old keeper in the team. i think its his time to leave and let the younger guys to take over.
When someone tells me "God bless you", I ask the question, which God?

God - is just a title as there are many (All false).
I do not want to receive blessings from any other but from YHVH. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob(Israel), He is my God.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Ike Shourunmu? Who is he?
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Now you understand how these players reason, it's all about me, me ,me and me now Martins has taken a que from him it's a big shame. I respect Onigbinde he appears to be a just man.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

What kind stu pid mentality is Shorunmu displaying here? onigbinde has done nothing wrong. He played what he thought was our best team against England!

Also the NFA is not a charity!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Pa Oni is not Nigeria and Nigeria is not Pa Oni. So which one come concern

Agbero with overload.
who no know go know.
segebaba
Egg
Egg

Post by segebaba »

i totally respect ike shorumu's decision, he has served nigeria well and now deserves a chance to provide for his family, he has been in the super eagles since 92, was sacked from his turkish club, cos of national call ups, so its time for us to look for a new numero uno. etafia, rotimi or ejide should be okay, but pls no enyeama. As fro obafemi martins, every dog has its day. One day him go need us and we wont be there for him
those who fail to plan, plan to fail........

"Valdez comes out & spits the verbiage like Mussolini at the balcony", lol...
"Puyol almost got caught w his knickers down" Lmao!
"Messi could follow u into a revovling door and still come out first"
"It's the maestro himself, the puppeteer who turns into the daggerman..", lol...
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

Shorunmu's only beef should be with the NFA when they didnt back him up against his club ; the other reason he gave about oni is just talk.
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

marko he said
“If they had called me last year I would have considered it but after one year it will be difficult for me to say I want to come back. They played series of matches and they did not call me, why is it now they want me”, Shorunmu queried .

uzoma007 Da CE Virus

How can you call him selfish, didn't he sacrifice his career with Besiktas for Nigeria
He said that part of his grouse for calling it quits was the way the NFA abandoned him when he was sacked by Besiktas
Unisol
Egg
Egg

Post by Unisol »

Abeg make them all go sidon. If Martins be somalian bobo and naija come offer am citizenship make he come play for us, una think say the bobo no go accept in spite of wetin he don hear about NFA :roll:
Go Super Eagles - We taught the world to play Soccer.