Mark Fish: Time for Kanoute to be given respect

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

temitope
Egg
Egg
Mark Fish: Time for Kanoute to be given respect

Post by temitope »

Fish: Time for Kanoute to be given respect
By Matt Hughes, Evening Standard 6 January 2004

If David Pleat wants to be educated as to the value of African football, as well as getting a little help sorting his samosas from his bhajis, then he should go out to dinner with Mark Fish.

The South African defender would probably even throw in a geography lesson if the Tottenham caretaker manager picked up the tab.

Unlike Frederic Kanoute, Fish will not be representing his country at this month's African Nations Cup, having chosen to stay and fight for a European place with Charlton.

The 29-year-old agonised over the decision but, with Alan Curbishley short of centre-backs and his own contract set to expire at the end of the season, he put his and his club's needs before those of his country.

Fish would have gone to the tournament if South Africa coach Ephraim Mashaba had allowed him to join up with the squad a week late and is desperately disappointed to be missing out.

Although Curbishley was not thrilled with the prospect of losing an experienced campaigner, the decision was left to the player - unlike the unseemly shenanigans at Spurs. Fish is glad to have avoided such a ruckus and is adamant that Kanoute should be allowed to go to Tunisia.

He said: "The manager wouldn't have stopped me going, as seems to be the case at Tottenham. Freddie has taken the decision to play for Mali and his club have to accept it. Mali is his country of origin and if he wants to play for them no one has the right to stop him.

"There's no greater honour in football than playing for your country, whether it's in the African Nations Cup, European Championship or World Cup. It's just as important for Freddie to play for Mali as it is for David Beckham to play for England or Ronaldo to play for Brazil.

"You can't disrespect his wishes just because it's Mali. It has suffered a lot of strife and there's no bigger joy than seeing someone who has left go back to represent their country."

Although reluctantly missing out on South Africa's attempt to regain a title they last lifted in 1996, Fish is a big supporter of the African Nations Cup. After beginning his career as an imposing defender with black-dominated clubs such as Jomo Cosmos and Orlando Pirates. Fish became one of the faces of the new South Africa and believes that the biannual tournament can help improve the fortunes of the entire continent.

He said: "It's become more difficult as more African players have come to Europe, but the African Nations Cup is a very important tournament for football. Everyone knows about the problems in Africa and football can work wonders for the host country. It creates lots of jobs, gives people something to look forward to and brings financial aid to the host country. It's important for Africa and just as important as the European Championship."

With players of the quality of Jay-Jay Okocha, Kanu and Geremi now gracing the Premiership, there's no question that the African Championship benefits the wider footballing world. Fish feels that English clubs want everything their own way, being happy to recruit the best African talent but unwilling to support their most important tournament.

He said: "People in England don't have enough respect for African football, but they shouldn't discredit this tournament as there's so much talent out there. The tournament may not be at the right time of year, but the world needs African footballers because we do add something different.

"It's important for Africa and the whole world. Most of the top teams in the world have at least one African player and that speaks volumes for how far football has come. It's important that the Cup is held every two years as it's a good forum for young players to show their talent in front of European scouts."

Fish is also a firm believer in football-as a force for change. The former-Lazio and Bolton defender devotes considerable time and money to Starfish, a charity to support children orphaned by HIV and AIDS in South Africa, and believes his success can inspire others.

He said: "Football gives young people hopes and dreams and adds structure to their daily lives. There's no more powerful tool than football. Politicians can say they are going to do this or that, but young people will always look up to footballers.

"Football is the world game and gives children dreams. I didn't come from the best of backgrounds but have gone on to achieve a better life. You cannot overestimate what it means to people to meet their heroes."

Which is quite a lot for Pleat to digest over dinner.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

I listened to a telephone interview Mark had on talk sport last night. He said most of the same stuff.

I never knew he played for Lazio.
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

This chap makes sense.I like him.Can somebody pls give mark Fish Obafemi Martins' phone number.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Mark fish is a proper role model not Ike Shorunmu.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Akingbade
Egg
Egg

Post by Akingbade »

I wish we had patriots like this and not overpampered,overfed,overrated and unpatriotic deserters like Martins. :evil:
Don't throw stones if u live in a glass house and kindly use the pre-frontal lobe of your brain more often; scientists call it the seat of good manners...
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

see as pple just dey praise fish now. A few weeks ago, nobody stood up for him when he was receiving missiles left, right and center.

This should teach us that if we don't have a full story we shouldn't rush to judge!
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

I am glad that some european manager has finally made a fool of himself on this club-versus-country issue over ANC. The issue will finally be resolved once and for all, so that other stupid managers will learn how to keep their mouth shut in future. These guys have been getting away with these bullying tactics for too long and I am glad Kanoute's case is a high profile one. I hope Kanoute wins.

Very few English managers have an understanding of African football. They think africans players don't want to be africans anymore because they play in Europe. Rubbish!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."