Greg Etafia has to leave Faro for important league game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Greg Etafia has to leave Faro for important league game

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Greg Etafia will be leaving the Eagles camp tomorrow to play a league game for Maroko Swallows against Orlando Pirates on Saturday January 10.

Popularly known as "Never My Love" by his adoring South African fans, Etafia has been recalled by his club for the crucial league clash but will return to Faro on January 12. An agreement between the NFA and the South African club was reached before the Faro camp began and the player is honouring his promise to return for the crucial clash.

Gavin Bernstein, Maroko Swallows' operations director, spoke with coach Christian Chukwu earlier this week to make sure that everything was going to plan. Both sides are happy with the arrangement and knowing how disciplined Etafia is, they are quite happy to release him, knowing he is not the kind of player to go missing or Awol.

Willy OKpara, a former Super Eagles goal tender, is the goalkeeping coach of Orlando Pirates. Etafia's return to Faro on January 12, will coincide with the arrival of the French and English-based players, after which serious training and the final phase of the selection process will begin.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

That is a long journey to be travelling back and forth for a game... Hmm we go see sha... Does that mean he is going to Tunisia? :?:
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

MI5 wrote:That is a long journey to be travelling back and forth for a game... Hmm we go see sha... Does that mean he is going to Tunisia? :?:
This is why I get angry when some people criticize our boys unfairly. If they know the suffer wey dis boy dey suffer. Him club don warn am say if him no come na wahala and he knows that if he is not in camp on time, his ANC dream is over.

A lot of the time, our players get caught between a rock and a hard place. To add insult to injury, the NFA does very little to help them.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Wow this is some travelling he has to do especially the distance and location from where he is right now to where he is going. Oh my... Well he is a professional and will just have to adjust and be prepared but why do they need him? Don't they have a backup... plus after the game he has to fly back again. Reminds me of Trevor Sinclair in the last WC'02 who was flying back and fourth from Europe to Asia back to Europe and back to Asia again...

Wow...

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
MI5 wrote:That is a long journey to be travelling back and forth for a game... Hmm we go see sha... Does that mean he is going to Tunisia? :?:
This is why I get angry when some people criticize our boys unfairly. If they know the suffer wey dis boy dey suffer. Him club don warn am say if him no come na wahala and he knows that if he is not in camp on time, his ANC dream is over.

A lot of the time, our players get caught between a rock and a hard place. To add insult to injury, the NFA does very little to help them.
Last edited by MI5 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

MI5 wrote:Wow this is some travelling he has to do especially the distance and location from where he is right now to where he is going. Oh my... Well he is a professional and will just have to adjust and be prepared but why do they need him? Don't they have a backup... plus after the game he has to fly back again. Reminds me of Frank Sinclair in the last WC'02 who was flying back and fourth from Europe to Asia back to Europe and back to Asia again...

Wow...

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

It was Trevor Sinclair. Frank plays for Jamaica!

In the case of Trevor, at least the English FA will not argue with him over refunding ticket expenses!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Thanks for the correction..

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
MI5 wrote:Wow this is some travelling he has to do especially the distance and location from where he is right now to where he is going. Oh my... Well he is a professional and will just have to adjust and be prepared but why do they need him? Don't they have a backup... plus after the game he has to fly back again. Reminds me of Frank Sinclair in the last WC'02 who was flying back and fourth from Europe to Asia back to Europe and back to Asia again...

Wow...

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

It was Trevor Sinclair. Frank plays for Jamaica!

In the case of Trevor, at least the English FA will not argue with him over refunding ticket expenses!
Soldier of Fortune...
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: It was Trevor Sinclair. Frank plays for Jamaica!

AYO:
I realize that this is merely a general crack at the NFA, but why should Nigeria refund his ticket to go and play for his club?!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Gotti wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote: It was Trevor Sinclair. Frank plays for Jamaica!

AYO:
I realize that this is merely a general crack at the NFA, but why should Nigeria refund his ticket to go and play for his club?!
Gotti, I spoke to Greg and his club has agreed to pay the fare for his flight, so I am not worried. However, were it the other way round and it was the duty of the NFA to make the payment, I would be very worried indeed.

Given the current flight delays all over the place at the moment, this is not the time to be messed around. One moment's delay could lead to you being five days off schedule.

Gotti, were the NFA in charge of booking his flight or refunding the cost of his flight, would you not be worried?
kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

Ayo, how come you have not found your friend Etafia a club yet. Come on brotha, earn your money :mrgreen:
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

Ayo Akinfe, thanks for the update.

You've put June instead of January in the last paragraph.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Gotti, were the NFA in charge of booking his flight or refunding the cost of his flight, would you not be worried?
AYO:
If the NFA were in charge of delivering my morning newspapers, I would be worried...but that misses the point.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Eagle Winged wrote:Ayo Akinfe, thanks for the update.

You've put June instead of January in the last paragraph.
Thanks Eagle Winged, correction made. Kbt, you think say to find club for goalkeeper na like say persin dey go pluck mango for bush?

Gotti, I just hope Maroko Swallows' professionalism serves as an example to the NFA. I expect these kind of slick and lofty standards when they are responsible for a players' flight.