They killed Ogbechi… stay away for now

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Daily Independent Online. * Tuesday, January 6, 2004.

with Godwin-Spiff Sagbamah

e-mail:[email protected]

He can take on defenders without fears, his ball control is beautiful, he has bullets packed in his shots at goal. This is the complete striker Nigeria has been looking for since the exit of Rasheed Yekini… What is it that was not written about Bathlomew Ogbechi, one of Nigeria’s players at France’s PSG.

Ogbechi was hailed to the high heaven, yet when the occasion presented itself, Ogbechi could not live up to it. From the buildup in the friendly matches played, the young/old guy did everything he knew to impress coach Adegboye Onigbinde enroute to the World Cup hosted by Korea/Japan 2002.

How the young man made Onigbinde’s hit, even the most irreprehensive fool knew then that the striker from PSG must make the list as a priority. Why? He showed so much instantaneous soccer dexterity that brought felicity to the Nigeria Football Association (NFA).

In fact, Ogbechi came at a time it was imperative for new players to join the senior national team, the Super Eagles, since most of the players have been sacked for being impertinent and malevolent.

But sincerely speaking, even the administrators or officials then were simply combatant in approach and in a reprisal mission to some of the players. The likes of Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George, Victor Ikpeba, recalled Tijani Babangida, Victor Agali etc. had all been forcefully pushed out of the Eagles. So much resentment flowed from players to players, players to sports ministry and NFA, also vice-versa.

In the process, Shuaibu Adodu and Stephen Keshi, then coaches, were sacked even in the glare of all as a result of a classical case of gross administrative ineptitude. But it is a taboo for our leadership from the lowest to the highest to admit error or failure, or better still, a common mistake. It is either one cumbersome absurdity is offered or an outright alibi is given for such action taken for which in all cases, it is permitted on the good of or for the good of the people. All these brohaha ended on a rather sad note when the then Sports Minister, Mr Mark Aku, died in a plane crash.

These were the times that threw up Nigeria’s PSG player, Bathlomew Ogbechi. This circumstance also threw up more players like Justice Christopher, a one-way traffic player – Femi Opabunmi, to mention but a few.

But Nigeria had qualified for the World Cup same year things fell apart in Bamako, Mali. Could it be that the mastermind of the sacks did not fully appreciate the apparent danger ahead or, as usual, everything was taken for granted? The Super Eagles as currently composed is positioned for annihilation.

Back to Ogbechi, at the World Cup proper, the stage was finally set for Ogbechi to shine. He had since been given the top striker role while Aghahowa was pushed to the flanks. Painfully, Ogbechi’s flashes during preparation and friendly matches could not be reproduced at the big stage. The World Cup.

There was no corollary or consonance of his game. Here, only the top performance is needed but Ogbechi fell short of that level and Nigeria with “Junk players that gave monkey result,” according to Taribo had been disgraced yet again from another World Cup tournament.

In fact, the only goal scored was by Julius Aghahowa against Sweden. Ogbechi, whose praises got sung to the high heaven became an orphan. But was he the only player expected to deliver goals for Nigeria? Why was so much expected of him? Why was he not able to deliver as expected? I would leave this for another day.

In the state of the Higgledy-piggledy that was the aftermath of our World Cup appearance in Korea/Japan, the senior National team has played several matches after then. Has the NFA tought it wise to give Bathlomew Ogbechi and the others another opportunity? Sometime ago, the player was injured in his club, did the NFA bother to find out about his health? Today, Ogbechi and his likes have been used and dumped by the same country that they sacrificed for, leaving club matches where he would earn a fat weekly pay to play for a country that may not even say thank you.

I have picked Ogbechi out because the same thing about to happen to Italy’s Inter Milan player, Obafemi Martins. His continuous call by the NFA to me is preposterous. Just like Ogbechi showed lots of promise in his club then, Martins is fast becoming a regular first eleven at Inter. Only the strong and talented see regular action in Italian Series A, meaning that Obafemi is good.

The young man’s name has kept cropping up in every NFA list, from Under-20, under-this and that, Olympic qualifier, All Africa Games and most recently, the Super Eagles.

Camerounian Samuel Eto’fils never played for any age group category in Cameroun before he joined the senior national team, the Indomitable Lions, that have consistently subdued the Super Eagles. Interestingly, the highest stage, the World Cup at France ’98 was the stage that announced the arrival of Eto and today, he is still Cameroun’s arrow head in the senior national team.

Right now, as the Super Eagles is composed. I foresee Obafemi being used and dumped like waste because there is no way he would shine in Tunisia, not with many of the Eagles players going to use the Nations Cup in Tunisia 2004 as valedictory match(es) as the case may be for many, their exit from the Super Eagles.

My prayer for Obafemi is to avoid injuries, keep your shirt in Inter and the 2006 Nations Cup and World Cup would be a good entry point for you in the Eagles after playing some qualifiers and friendlies with the new squad that will emerge after now.

Play with players who are hungry like you, assiduous, sweating for honour, determined, focused and alive to their responsibilities with prayers too that a level playing ground would be provided.

Obafemi Martins, remember, football is your only job right now. You have no business in Tunisia 2004. Stay in Italy with Inter for now and keep playing week-in-week out. Stay away from their camp in Portugal, stay away from their team in Tunisia.

It is not yet your turn to shine at the National team, they will mess you up. Once again, I warn you, stay away!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Obafemi Martins, remember, football is your only job right now. You have no business in Tunisia 2004. Stay in Italy with Inter for now and keep playing week-in-week out. Stay away from their camp in Portugal, stay away from their team in Tunisia.

It is not yet your turn to shine at the National team, they will mess you up. Once again, I warn you, stay away!
I completely agree with this bit and the Ogbeche comparism. Yes! the piece has its flaws but I agree with his advice for Martins.

Martins if you want to avoid being another Ogbeche given the current mess that is our SE, I say to you, avoid the ANC like the plague. There are enough players there to play in your position so do not go. Our Se was a mess then and it is still a mess now.

Ogbeche was thrown in the deep end when he was not ready, we all know what happened. His confidence was shot to pieces and he looked a shadow of the player I saw at PSG for the whole of last season. He was confined to the reserves and has not recovered his status in the game prior to the WC. That WC call up has cost him a lucrative contract IMHO.

Martins, if you or any of your advisers are reading this, I beg you stay away from the NFA and the current mess that is our football.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Ogbeche came up short in the world cup no be small... but the fact that he's been invited to try for a tunisia ANC shirt makes that article somewhat mute, especially if he makes the team. Hence, in spite of the WC'02 set back, he's still got an opportunity to get back on track. As for Martins, i have no qualms with his decision assuming that he is being sincere.... which is tough for me to believe considering his record of shunning call ups on every level of Nigerian footabll. Only time shall tell. Hopefully, we'll qualify for the olympics when of course we'll know for sure whether he's being sincere or just pulling every ones legs.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

TXJ , this guy na Yoruba man ? :?
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

Martins dis Martins Dat...my only concern here is what his response will be if invited to camp for the u23 and Olympics
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

who is Ogbechi?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Kelechi
Egg
Egg

Post by Kelechi »

So many player that started like Ogbechi should have been killed then-----
What an excuse---what makes M. Owen different? and soooo many young guns that started just like Ogbeci and never allowed themselves to be killed----When you are destined for great------you will not be a victim of excuse-----
Pls let this not be a consolation for our dissappointment for not having Martins.
For a child of God, silence in the face of problem is an act of ignorance
Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Re: They killed Ogbechi… stay away for now

Post by Shownoja »

txj wrote:Daily Independent Online. * Tuesday, January 6, 2004.

Ogbechi was hailed to the high heaven, yet when the occasion presented itself, Ogbechi could not live up to it. From the buildup in the friendly matches played, the young/old guy did everything he knew to impress coach Adegboye Onigbinde enroute to the World Cup hosted by Korea/Japan 2002.
Which one be young/old guy? Abi dem dey doubt im age too? :roll: :roll:
To stop trying is to start dying
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

When writing an article becareful about pointing out obvious contradictions. Here is this writer making a Martins-Ogbeche comparison, while at the same time pointing out how Eto became an overnight success for Cameroun the same way Ogbeche should have. If the writer's intention was to proof that playing for the national team at an early age can be detrimental to a player's career, how come Eto, Aghahowa, Amunike, Rooney, Owen, Pele and a host of other players were able to succeeed then?
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!