Morocco name preliminary squad for Nations Cup finals

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Morocco name preliminary squad for Nations Cup finals

Post by YUJAM »

Soccer-Morocco name preliminary squad for Nations Cup finals

RABAT, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Former champions Morocco named a preliminary squad of 24 players on Monday for the African Nations Cup finals starting later this month.

Coach Baddou Zaki said he would trim his squad to 22 after a training camp scheduled in Marbella, southern Spain, from January 10-18.

The tournament takes place in Tunisia from January 24 to February 14.

"We're in good shape, both at technical and tactical levels," Zaki told a news conference. "We're confident we'll go far in the competition."

Morocco, recent World Cup finalists, have been handed a tough draw in group D alongside South Africa, Nigeria and Benin.

Seventeen of the 24 players in the Morocco squad are European-based, although only three of them competed in the last continental tournament, in Mali in 2002.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Khalid Fouhami (Academica Coimbra, Portugal), Nadir Lamyaghri (Wydad Casablanca), Tarik Jermouni (Royal Armed Forces)

Defenders: Noureddine Naybet (Deportivo Coruna, Spain), Abdeslam Ouaddou (Rennes, France) Talal El Karkouri (Paris Saint-Germain, France), Walid Regragui (Ajaccio, France), Akram Rommani (Racing Genk, Belgium), Abdelilah Fahmi (Strasbourg, France)

Midfielders: Hassan Alla (MCO Oujda), Jamal Alioui (Perugia, Italy), Mourad Hdiouad (Litex Lovech, Bulgaria), Youssef Safri (Coventry, England), Youssef Hadji (Bastia, France), Houcine Kharja (Ternana, Italy), Abdelkrim Kaissi (Rubin Kazan, Russia), Ali Bouab (Royal Armed Forces), Nabil Mesloub (Raja Casablanca)

Forwards: Mustapha Bidoudane (Raja Casablanca), Nabil Baha (Naval Maio, Portugal), Marouane Chammakh (Bordeaux, France), Jawad Zairi (Sochaux, France), Moha Yaacoubi (Osasuna, Spain), Youssef Mokhtari (Wacker Burghausen, Germany).
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

It looks like Mustapha Hadji's international career is well and truly over. This squad is one of the weakest Moroccan ones I have seen for a while.

There are only about three quality players in it and the ageing Norroudeen Naybet is the only world class footballer in the squad. However, in football, we know that that does not necessarily mean the team will not do well.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Defenders: Noureddine Naybet, Talal El Karkouri and Fahmi Defenders: Noureddine Naybet, Talal El Karkouri and Abdelilah Fahmi are the only players I rate highly in this team.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo:
I think you are right here. But not only are they all pros, this team has been playing together for a while. They will not be easy!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo:
I think you are right here. But not only are they all pros, this team has been playing together for a while. They will not be easy!
They may well top the group Yujam. Morocco is such an unpredictable team.

Now, go and get us the Senegal team list Yujam. We know that of everyone else!!!! Do you not have contacts in the Senegalese FA?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I posted the update here yesterday. Stephan was waiting for the medical tests on Diao and Faye to come back before selecting his final 22. All players expected in Dakar by Jan 12.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

YUJAM wrote:I posted the update here yesterday. Stephan was waiting for the medical tests on Diao and Faye to come back before selecting his final 22. All players expected in Dakar by Jan 12.
I am not satisfied with your explanation. Please give us the names of the other players invited then.

The list must be drawn up and should be somewhere. Were this Naija, you can trust that someone here would have got hold of it.