Wenger backs new rules ON AFRICAN

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Jmal
Egg
Egg
Wenger backs new rules ON AFRICAN

Post by Jmal »

Wenger backs new rules

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has welcomed FIFA's new rules on player nationality, saying they should stop the plundering of top talent from African countries. Wenger has backed the amendment which now allows players to play for one country at junior level, but represent another in senior competition.

Kanouté will play for Mali
AJAX: Pienaar - 'Scoring in San Siro was a dream!'

Arsenal's London neighbours Tottenham have recently complained about the new rules after striker Frederic Kanoute expressed his intention to switch nationalities from France to Mali and play in the forthcoming African Nations Cup.

But Wenger says the change in statutes will protect African countries from losing their best players to European national sides.

"I agree with the new rules," Wenger told reporters at Arsenal's training ground on Tuesday. "In fairness to the African countries, in the past it has always been the other way around.

"They have lost many good players, like (Senegalese-born French international) Patrick Vieira and (Congolese-born French international) Claude Makelele, because of the old rules.

"For example, France have many former colonies and if there was a good player in one of them he would get called up for the French under-18 or under-21 team in order to make sure he could never go back to play for the colony.

"Young players are never going to turn down the chance to play at that level for France, but if they do not progress they can now change countries which they never could under the old rules.

"I think it is right they have now changed the rules because players will now be allowed to change their mind on decisions they made when they were only young."

SPURS SYMPATHY

Wenger had some sympathy for Tottenham with regards to the Kanoute case.

Spurs argue the rules were changed after they signed Kanoute from West Ham and FIFA's status committee will rule on Wednesday whether he can play for Mali at the Nations Cup, which starts on January 24 in Tunisia.

"It is unfortunate for Tottenham because they didn't expect this situation, but the rules are the rules," Wenger said.

"However, I think the African Nations Cup is starting to be a handicap to African players because (European) clubs have reservations about signing them and then losing them for a month in the middle of the season.

"But if the (English) premiership bring in a winter break in January then it might fit in quite well."

http://217.204.41.132/cgi/NGoto/2/47038209?1206
abakwa
Egg
Egg

Post by abakwa »

Young players are never going to turn down the chance to play at that level for France, but if they do not progress they can now change countries which they never could under the old rules
Check this out, so filter out the good apples and send the second grade to Africa right??? You gotta be kidding me with this crap.
Signature Line 1 per Robby
Signature Line 2 per Robby
Signature Line 3 per Robby
Signature Line 4 per Robby
bigapple
Egg
Egg

Post by bigapple »

Does that mean Shola Ameobi can now play for Nigeria?
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

Abakwa

Wenger, in his attempt to be sympathetic opens his a$$ets to some prevailing thunderstorm
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

Can people please stop calling for Amoebi to play for Naija. He has said he wants to play for England plus I doubt if his style of play will blend with ours. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Ameobi's style is very African unlike Fash's! I see no reason why he shouldn't be considered for Nigeria! He is talented, hard working, plays regularly, would add value to the team and most of all is Nigerian. So why not?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

It's no surpsrise that Black players like to play for Wenger. He understands them better than the other Oyinbo coaches out there. I like the new FIFA rules because the Western countries can no longer take the African players they have capped at the junior level for granted at the senior level because the player now has other options.

As for Amoebi, he cannot make the Nigerian team even he wants to play for Nigeria. At best, he will warm the bench.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

Naija fan wrote:It's no surpsrise that Black players like to play for Wenger. He understands them better than the other Oyinbo coaches out there. As for Amoebi, he cannot make the Nigerian team even he wants to play for Nigeria. Who is he going to bench?
Any of the Hey Yous and wastepipes Chukwu has capped over the last year and a half.
Change your sentence to "Who is he going to bench, when we have a decent coach?" and i'd agree 100% :mrgreen:.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

With this new rule, we should be able to aquire the the likes of Onyebuchi who played for the US u17 and other Naija players that have played for other countries youth teams.
Bell

Post by Bell »

ABAKWA, WAY TO ANALYZE

With only the "bad apples" coming to Africa I don't understand why people think this is good for Africa. Or even S. American countries.

Someone may say S. American players are more likely to remain loyal to their country than Africans. This may be so. But the inducement for them may be bigger as well.

BRET HART
What good is it to Nigeria if Onyebuchi opts for Nigeria only after he fails to make the US team. How far can Nigeria go if only failed aspirants return to it?
Bell
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

Dont forget; a player can only switch if they're under 21. But this only rule comes into play in October, hence why Kanoute is allowed to switch even though he's over 21.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Bell, I do not see anything wrong. mind u some of these africans cannot make the team not because they were not good enough for their adopted nations but because of other factors such as strengt in depth of their adopted teams. that is having other quality players aside from them. Take us for instance. right now, we do not have a goalkeeper that brings confidence. compare that to the americans that can boast of about six quality goalies. assuming one of them just happens to be Nigerian american who played for the US at say the u20 but for some reason finds it difficult to make the senior team, it will be higly benefifial on our part to have him on board while at the same time rekindle his international carrear.