Wenger backs new FIFA rules on nationality

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

By Neil Martin

LONDON, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has welcomed FIFA's new rules on player nationality, saying they should put an end to the plundering of top talent from African countries.

Wenger has backed the amendment which now allows players with dual nationality to play for one country at junior level, but then represent another in senior competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Arsenal's London neighbours Tottenham have recently complained about the new rules after striker Frederic Kanoute expressed his intention to switch nationalities from France to Mali and play in the forthcoming African Nations Cup.

But Wenger says the change in statutes will protect African countries from losing their best players to European national sides.

"I agree with the new rules," Wenger told reporters at Arsenal's training ground on Tuesday. "In fairness to the African countries, in the past it has always been the other way around.

"They have lost many good players, like (Senegalese-born French international) Patrick Vieira and (Congolese-born French international) Claude Makelele, because of the old rules.

"For example, France have many former colonies and if there was a good player in one of them he would get called up for the French under-18 or under-21 team in order to make sure he could never go back to play for the colony.

"Young players are never going to turn down the chance to play at that level for France, but if they do not progress they can now change countries which they never could under the old rules.

"I think it is right they have now changed the rules because players will now be allowed to change their mind on decisions they made when they were only young."

SPURS SYMPATHY

Wenger had some sympathy for Tottenham with regards to the Kanoute case.

Spurs argue the rules were changed after they signed Kanoute from West Ham and FIFA's status committee will rule on Wednesday whether he can play for Mali at the Nations Cup, which starts on January 24 in Tunisia.

"It is unfortunate for Tottenham because they didn't expect this situation, but the rules are the rules," Wenger said.

"However, I think the African Nations Cup is starting to be a handicap to African players because (European) clubs have reservations about signing them and then losing them for a month in the middle of the season.

"But if the (English) premiership bring in a winter break in January then it might fit in quite well."
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Bell

Post by Bell »

AU CONTRAIRE, MONSIEUR WENGER...

...I can see this rule doing more harm to Africa. Top African players can now gamble on making a European side (a la Ameobi) and only looking for the African country if they fail to make it. Thus Africa gets the crumbs. If enough African players take this route, Africa may never be able to beat such countries as France and England. Perhaps that thought neber crossed Wenger's mind because he probably sees Africa as being permanently behind Europe. Even S. American countries may suffer from this new ruling.
Bell
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Bell wrote:AU CONTRAIRE, MONSIEUR WENGER...

...I can see this rule doing more harm to Africa. Top African players can now gamble on making a European side (a la Ameobi) and only looking for the African country if they fail to make it. Thus Africa gets the crumbs. If enough African players take this route, Africa may never be able to beat such countries as France and England. Perhaps that thought neber crossed Wenger's mind because he probably sees Africa as being permanently behind Europe. Even S. American countries may suffer from this new ruling.
Bell
I don't see how this hurts African players any worse than the current rules. At least now, they have the option of playing for their native country if they don't make the European side. Before this new rule, African players had only one option. Now they have other options, plus the European countries cannot take African players capped at the junior level for granted anymore. They will have to seriously consider then for their senior team because the player now has options he did not have before.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Naija fan wrote:
Bell wrote:I don't see how this hurts African players any worse than the current rules. At least now, they have the option of playing for their native country if they don't make the European side. Before this new rule, African players had only one option. Now they have other options, plus the European countries cannot take African players capped at the junior level for granted anymore. They will have to seriously consider then for their senior team because the player now has options he did not have before.
It was a two way street before and it still is.
Bell

Post by Bell »

HERE'S HOW IT HURTS AFRICA

Now great African talents due to any number of reasons (financial inducement from the foreign country, threats from their overseas clubs, FA shenanigans, etc) may make foreign countries their first choice. Hopefully the vast majority of Africans may still opt for their African countries. But should a large number of African decide to try first for European countries returning to the African country only after they fail. Africa then gets left with players who cannot make European teams. This would place African countries perpetually behind Europe

(Just thinking: Could an African country induce with, for example, a place in the WC squad, say, a French national who was unable to make the French team?)
Bell
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

If u ask me, i think Africa stands to lose and gain at the same time. Gain bcos now, African players stuck in transision in europan teams can change national teams.Yes they may be rejects but these guys are moving on in their international careears and adding depht to their native counties. But we lose because these same europeans will see it as an opportunity to rip africa off her best young talents by wooing our u17s and u20s into their national teams via $$$ and other incentives.