Wenger wants Kanu till January 18

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet
Wenger wants Kanu till January 18

Post by muzines »

Arsenal face fight to keep Kanu

soccernet.com

Arsenal are facing a potential battle with Nigeria over Nwankwo Kanu's release date for the African Nations' Cup finals.

Arsene Wenger had been hoping Kanu would be allowed to join up with his international team-mates on January 18 after his side's Premiership fixture at Aston Villa.

After all, with Sylvain Wiltord and Dennis Bergkamp ruled out of action for at least another 10 days, they are set to miss Arsenal's next three games - against Everton, Middlesbrough and Villa.

However, FIFA's rules on the release of players for international tournaments clearly state that they must be allowed to join up with their countries 14 days before the start of the competition.

With the African Nations' Cup kicking off on January 25, that means Kanu can play against Everton tomorrow and Boro on Saturday, but could be suspended from playing against Villa even if he did not join up with Nigeria.

Arsenal could request a delay from the Nigerian FA, with compatriot Jay-Jay Okocha expected to be allowed to join up on January 16 after Bolton's FA Cup third round replay against Tranmere.

Wenger, who believed Kanu's release date would be January 18 - as if it was a qualifying tie - said: 'We respect that he has to play for his country as we knew when we bought him that he would go away to play in the African Nations' Cup.

'But equally we want to use the players as long as we can. We need his presence and quality and we would otherwise be a bit short up front.

'It's easy to understand that the player doesn't need a pre-tournament camp as his country will benefit more from him turning up to play completely fit.

'I had a chat with Okocha and Kanu when we played at Bolton. Okocha told me 'let him go and I will stay'! But Nigeria expect Okocha and Kanu as they're the experienced players and they rely a lot on them to have a successful tournament.

'That's why maybe they expect them to turn up a little bit earlier to be at the centre of the team. I can understand that but I need Kanu as well.'

Samuel Kaalu, press officer for the Nigerian Football Federation, nevertheless insisted there was already 'an understanding with the clubs for players to report to our training camp by January 11'.

He added: 'We will expect them to respect the gentleman's agreement we have reached with them. They know what FIFA's rules say about matters like this.

'Otherwise, the situation will be brought to our attention. We will look at it critically and make the appropriate decision. I cannot tell you at the moment what will happen but I assure you that we will do what we can to ensure the release of the players.

'The African Nations Cup is as important as the European Championships. We expect clubs in Europe to respect this important tournament for the African continent.'

Nigeria's position has not been helped by the withdrawal of Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins, presumably due to club commitments.

Indeed, the pressure on his place at club level was exactly the reason that Lauren retired from international football with Cameroon.

Wenger therefore feels sympathy with Tottenham for the way that Freddie Kanoute is set to take advantage of a FIFA loophole which could allow him to play for Mali despite having previously represented the French Under-21s.

'I do sympathise with them, because of course they didn't expect it. It is a bit of a blow for them but the rules are the rules and they have now changed,' observed the Arsenal boss.

'I understand the African countries as, in France, it always used to be the other way around - with players like Patrick Vieira, Claude Makelele and Marcel Desailly - from the former colonies.

'But I believe it is a handicap for the African players to organise all these competitions as clubs hesitate in signing them because of that.'
Tolu

Post by Tolu »

Wenger should just suck his d#$%!!! he's such stupid angel*. What's his reason for delaying his release? Now he knows he's important to him. He shouldn't get me started.
nasoo
Egg
Egg

Post by nasoo »

Wenger !, Wenger !!, Wenger !!!, how many times did i call you ? ehn !!!!. ok.
IN GOD I TRUST, WITHOUT HIM I AM NOTHING
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

Tolu wrote:Wenger should just suck his d#$%!!! he's such stupid angel*. What's his reason for delaying his release? Now he knows he's important to him. He shouldn't get me started.
nasoo wrote:Wenger !, Wenger !!, Wenger !!!, how many times did i call you ? ehn !!!!. ok.
You guys just dey make my stomach wan burst with laughter!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Wenger is trying to hold on to Kanu as much as possible for arsenal's interest BUT what good is it for Kanu to arrive in camp a week early?
Isn't it in the country's interest that he plays as many competitive matches close to the ANC? Isn't it in the country's interest that he has another 2 weeks to play into form?

What do Eagles do in camp? Play 5-aside? Start bigmanism and oppress the less priviledged players? Do you think that Eagles learn anything in camp or training regarding tactics?

4 weeks and 4 days is same for eagles....na individual soccer we go play for 1st few games....if you like bite off Wenger's head, Kanu will report to camp tomorrow and might not even train for the next 2 weeks...and no one will say jack.

Q
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

If he would want to show off his talents to other clubs to take him once his contract with Assenil runs out,he has to make a decision-if he is going to be in the first-team for #$%,then he should stay for the first 2 games,but not for the 3rd one,if not,1999 history will repeat itself again.And for what I said->Vice Versa-->If he is going to play second fiddle to Aliadiere and Titi,then get the hell out and play for Naija instead! :mrgreen:
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

what would double suck is if he is not used in any of the games. That must frustrate kanu
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Africana
Egg
Egg

Post by Africana »

Is this French goat also a cannibal? What would he do with Kanu if he keeps Kanu till kingdom come? He NEVER shows any respect for Nigeria. I despise him completely.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

The Ball is in Kanu Corner--14 DAYS TO THE KICKOFF--FIFA RULES SAYS.
Thought
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

And this is how Kanu likes being treated? He comes behind wiltord and bergkamp throughout the season but when they are out and he has other priorities, he is being asked to sacrifice for the club.

Abeg Kanu should join the SE. He has a team that acknowledges his worth.
Real Madrid - The Greatest Club on Earth!
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Why is Kanu being wanted by Wenger only when the ANC is on? :mrgreen:
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

Tolu wrote:Wenger should just suck his d#$%!!! he's such stupid angel*. What's his reason for delaying his release? Now he knows he's important to him. He shouldn't get me started.
:lol: :wink: :roll: :lol: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :D :D :) :o :lol:

u tell him suck your french d#$% *kindperson* cha bande...
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Wenger said: "Kanu is fit and doesn't need a pre-tournament camp."

You can't argue with that! BTW I support Arsenal and we need him!!! :D

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

The only reason Kanu is partially in Wenger's plans is because other first team players are either injured or not performing. When they were drawing the plan of this season they didn't take kanu into consideration. Immediately they get Henry's partner kanu will be dumped. Wenger said kanu is in good form yet they're still not giving him a contract nor do they use him for important matches. All this should be clear to kanu by now but if he says he still want to fight for a shirt, good luck to him.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

And I want a million dollars!
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

And Kanu is not helping matters with his current form.Good though.
who no know go know.
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Kanu should get his arse out of Highbury right now,they are just making use of him now...I need not say more,most of you have already mentioned it :x
marloski
Egg
Egg

Post by marloski »

This Wenger has serious problems.First he chins our boy for 2 years,Now he doesn't want to release him again.The man should be in the KGB,for these tactics.
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

quickie wrote:Wenger is trying to hold on to Kanu as much as possible for arsenal's interest BUT what good is it for Kanu to arrive in camp a week early?
Isn't it in the country's interest that he plays as many competitive matches close to the ANC? Isn't it in the country's interest that he has another 2 weeks to play into form?

What do Eagles do in camp? Play 5-aside? Start bigmanism and oppress the less priviledged players? Do you think that Eagles learn anything in camp or training regarding tactics?

4 weeks and 4 days is same for eagles....na individual soccer we go play for 1st few games....if you like bite off Wenger's head, Kanu will report to camp tomorrow and might not even train for the next 2 weeks...and no one will say jack.

Q
B'cos we want the players to GEL.... (Some people sef...)
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

This Wenger game is very old and boring. He doesn't play Kanu and then suddenly come ANC time, he acts if Kanu is the most indispenasble player on his squad.

Somebody ask Wenger :if Kanu is so precious to him, then why is the antiquatde relic Dennis Bergkamp still on the squd, let alone being an undisputed starting striker?

I like Wenger, but sometimes (eg Kanu/ANC or "I didn't see the incident"), he's reveals that underneath the Frenct accent he's can be just's foolish as anyone else.
Last edited by Ziontrain on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Igbanibo
Egg
Egg

Post by Igbanibo »

As you have said, Wenger does need to shut up. If he had been playing Kanu a lot more then we will take what he had to say more seriously. Instead, Kanu is a bench warmer, and all of a sudden, when ANC is getting ready to start, he starts creating a fuss about Kanu leaving.