this is bunkum balderdash

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg
this is bunkum balderdash

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

A word for Martins

Tai Emeka Obasi

e-mail:[email protected]

The Nigerian Football Association is one entity Tai Obasi will hardly stand to defend. I wonder how their lawyers cope in the face of consistent ineptitude, blatant negligence and mischievous intentions.

There is no FA in the whole football world that treat her players with as much scorn as that glass house in Abuja. I still wonder what Alfred Omoefe, Ejike Izuagha and co. did, in the NFA’s court, to deserve the one-year banishment.

It’s not just the present NFA but also others before it. When our players get injured, the NFA never bother to send a mere get-well card. Yet, they have their addresses for invitation letters.

Players like Uche Okechukwu retired prematurely from the national team. There is really no just scale to place the NFA and our players on a balance. The NFA can be mean, greedy and above all, vindictive. Yes, the NFA can be these and many more – all evil.

However, the recent antics of Obafemi Martins towards national calls leave much to be desired. First, Martins was in the country, called up the same time as Christian Obodo. The Inter Milan express ignored such call to be part of the LG competition.

Next, he was called up for the Olympics qualifiers against Namibia. He was still in the country but ignored the call once more. Other subsequent calls were ignored by the fast-rising star, who is acclaimed to be only 19.

Now, for the past month or thereabout, Martins has kept the NFA chasing shadows. The Secretary General, Taiwo Ogunjobi, was in Italy to see the boy, the summersault expert gave the Ibadan Chief his word, then turned back and chuckled with glee. Today, feelers are rife that the pacy Inter Milan striker will not be in Tunisia 2004.

Before I go further, let me acknowledge the exquisite potentials of this young lad (19 or not). Readers of this column will acknowledge that I believe strongly in a credible Nations Cup performance from the Super Eagles. The major reason for this optimism is because of Obafemi Martins. I never believed that a tree makes a forest and even at that, Martins is far too young and inexperienced to carry the hopes of a team like the Super Eagles but speaking frankly, Martins will be a nightmare to any defence including that of Cameroun in Tunisia.

Watching Martins critically, hardly does any kid at his level play with such professional discipline. At his age, ‘Obagol’ never holds selfishly to the ball.

He has the burst and strength of a young African, yet the professional attitude of a European. He is fearless, daring, a risk taker and above all, pacy, very pacy.

A combination of Martins and Julius Aghahowa would have given defences in African a run for their money.

Martins would have been the only positive thing Nigeria would have taken to Tunisia since Nigeria /Ghana 2000. Without him, it’s the usual old song of only Aghohowa taking all the risks, an inconsistent Yakubu Aiyegbeni putting up average performances, a John Utaka struggling to impress and a suddenly-gone predictable Nwankwo Kanu looking for his first Nations Cup goal.

Many wonder how Martins got nominated for African footballer of the year award. He more than deserves the nomination. If you watch the striker closely, you’d understand he’s a coach’s delight.. He may not get to win the award in a pool comprising Okocha and Eto’o Fills but those that short-listed the young lad in the final list of five certainly did not do him any favour. And FIFA that tipped him for greatness barely 18months ago were not flattering either. If Obagol keeps his head and works assiduously towards actualisating his potentials, then even the great George Weah will have cause to applaud him in few years to come.

You can now understand my feeling of pain and I believe, many Nigerian soccer fans, should this youth prodigy shun Tunisia 2004.

Nevertheless, I believe a certain cabal, who probably do not believe in the national team under coach Christian Chukwu, is seriously misleading the young lad. Martins still has some time to hit the Eagles camp in Faro in his over all interest. But while he is chewing the flow of negative influences that go his way, it may interest him, however young he might be, to note that many had toed his line before.

Preparatory to 1989 Nations Cup, Stephen Keshi led a Belgium – based boycott. Etim Esim and Philip Osondu heeded the advice of the then Big Boss. We all know how Esim ended and for Osondu, he never got to wear the Super Eagles jersey in his life. At present level, Martins rate far lower than these two players at the time in question.

Somewhere in England, a certain Ugo Ehiogu and a gangling Shola Ameobi turned down the overtunes to dorn a green - white - green jersey and opted for the English Devils. At the time in question, Ehiogu had Uche Okechukwu’s gap to fill on a platter. The Abia State-born Aston Villa stopper would have played in Japan / Korea but, probably, he was dreaming of winning the World Cup with England. I’m still waiting for him to do that. For Ameobi, I’m waiting for the day he’ll lead the Red Devils’ attack in any major competition, perhaps in Euro 2004.

There are many others to cite but space will force me to pause here and tell my dear Martins that it has never been easy dumping Nigeria. Ask Francis Obikwelu and Gloria Alozie!

But wait a minute O… Aha, John Fashanu! When he was John ‘the bash’ Fashanu, playing for England interested him far more than playing for his fatherland. No doubt, Fash had his fun. He didn’t last long in English shirt, though. But one day, a certain match-fixing scandal made the former Winbledon hitman remember home in a hurry. Of course, he managed to avoid the gaols by the scrap of teeth and suddenly his love for fatherland became quite exotic.

Suddenly, Fash developed great and wonderful ideas for Nigerian soccer.

He spent millions of pounds oiling the press and greasing palms along diplomatic channels. And fast grew this obsession to lead Nigerian football as NFA chairman. Even the late Sani Abacha made him Nigeria’s Soccer Ambassador. And in a bizarre manner, Fash found himself in the NFA board and he even spent much more to become the chairman. At this moment, his was almost winning where our own dear Segun ‘Mathematical’ Odegbami failed. But trust God and posterity. Fash became a head all right but that of the pro-league.

But true to type, a leopard held onto its spots. And the issue of John Fashnu came to rest, for the very last time, I hope.

Maybe other Africans in Eusebio, Algeria’s Zindine Zidane, Mali’s Jeon Jigana, Ghana’s Marcel Daisailly, Cote D’Ivoire’s Basile Boli, Mali’s Patrick Vieira made it in other colours outside the African national teams but the only Nigerian that has played in the World Cup for another country has been our own reject, Emmanuel Olisadebe. The ex-Jasper United striker was clearly rejected by the NFA before he adopted Poland.

This, the advisers of Martins must explain to the lad. And more: this game about football, like everything about sports, has a way of being funny. Many players faded as fast as they came to limelight. Great potentials like Christopher Nwosu, Peter Ogaba, Bawa Abdullahi, to mention but a few, disappeared without trace.

Even Jourinbo and Denilson, both of Brazil, are cases of players that failed to fulfil their initial potentials. Without even going to the Nations Cup,

Martins could just fade into oblivion. I have not even cited the almighty injury. God knows this is not my prayer for the young striker.

Players like Austin Eguavoen, Ben Iroha, Taribo West, Aghahowa, and even Kanu had their consistency in the national team to thank for reviving their careers when their clubs assumed they were finished. Martins may just be like these players in not too distant future.

I hope he could rely on the national team when the time calls.

Will his counsels go as far as telling him how his compatriots in Kanu and West left Inter Milan? Both players went to the English Premiership for Arsenal and Derby County respectively. If I’m a player today, I’d go for the Premiership. Gone are the days when the English league is a kick – and - rush mass of rubbish.

Today, they play succulent football. And when you talk about the money and press hype, there’s no better league presently. And from Martins style of play, especially the type of carriage that led him to that stunning goal against Reggina in a recent Calico match, he may not last three more years in Italy.

The Italian defenders are hard and mafia-like. Ask Ronaldo, Rivaldo, etc. Then Martins may just go the way of Kanu and West. Now, has somebody told the somersault wonder boy that one of the criteria, in fact the major one, for passage to the Premiership is having played at least 75% of your national team's last matches? Perhaps, he should call Taribo West for proper education.

Again I heard some say Martins absence is based on lack of confidence in the technical crew as presently led by Chukwu. Come on, Martins can not be better than Okocha, Aghahowa, Utaka, Yobo, Babayaro, etc, who have all seen better coaches and of course played better football. It’s a pity at how some cabal take a swipe at Chukwu at every opportunity. They forgot Taiwo Ogunjobi went to Italy, returned to tell us with certainty that Martins is Tunisia-bound. How is it now Chukwu’s fault? Isn’t it clear that Ogunjobi prefers to visit our player’s clubs probably because Chukwu can’t speak English through the nose?

Finally, may somebody tell Martins that this may be his only chance to play for his country now and that some of us will be watching and waiting when his present advisers start making cases for him in time to come, when he will eventually need Nigeria, for need Nigeria he definitely will.

Before I forget

When I wrote earlier in this column that Martins, like Ike Shorunmu, would be advised to shun Tunisia 2004 because their kinsman is not in charge, many called me names. Well, I’m certain both players would have been in camp if Adogboye Onigbinde was heading the technical crew. Take it or leave it, this is the hard fact about the country we live in.

Yet, some have already started shouting that Chukwu has a hidden agenda by having Chukwudi Nworge in camp.

Haba! What stops the Chairman from taking Sam Okoye and Nworgu to Tunisia if Shorunmu and Obafemi decide not to be Nigerians? One thing is clear – a Nworgu in Tunisia 2004 is far better than a Mutiu Adepoju in Korea/Japan 2002. Make we leave matter. There’s no stranger here. We’ve all been around.

And thank you the NFA and U-23 for fumbling the match in Senegal. Take it or leave it again, if we do not qualify for Athens 2004, we’re certainly going to bungle Germany 2006.