Ogunsoto wants Nigeria chance

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

By Oluwashina Okeleji,
BBC Sport, Lagos

Ogunsoto believes he deserves a call-up to the national squad

Striker Patrick Babatunde Ogunsoto believes his scoring form in Belgium should have earned him an international call-up for his native Nigeria.

Ogunsoto is the hottest Nigerian striker in Europe this season with 21-goals in all competitions.

Despite this he was left out of the country's provisional squad for the African Cup of Nations qualifier against Uganda scheduled for 24 March.

But the 24-year-old, who joined unfashionable Westerlo from the Greek second division at the start of the season, told BBC Sport he deserves a place in the Nigerian team.

"At the moment I am extremely disappointed in the entire Nigerian set up as I wonder what more I have to do to be included," he told BBC Sport on Saturday.

"When I scored freely in Greece I was not noticed, however, I thought it was just a matter of the league I was playing in.

I believe I deserve a chance to play in front of the fans back home on merit

Patrick Babatunde Ogunsoto

"I thought I would have a better chance of being seen now that I'm playing well in Belgium and scoring goals on a regular basis."

Westerlo are well positioned in seventh place, while Ogunsoto remains the top scorer in the league with 17 goals.

Ogunsoto says he is disappointed that some injured players were considered ahead of him in the latest Super Eagles squad call up.

"I'm sad that some of the invited players are not even playing football at the moment.

"I am not out to make false accusations but I believe people should be treated with some level of respect.

"I do not have anything to prove to anyone but I believe I deserve a chance to play in front of the fans back home on merit."

Competing with other in-form European-based strikers like Obafemi Martins, Osaze Odemwingie and Yakubu Aiyegbeni, the Westerlo player said he is up to the challenge.

"Each player has his strength but I know my worth and hope to prove myself as being worthy of the Nigerian team if invited.

"I believe that my time has come."

The omission of Ogunsoto and Spain based Ikechukwu Uche in the Nigerian squad has been severely criticised by local media and fans in the West African country.

BBC
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

He will get his chance if he continue what he is doing .....

I feel sorry 4 Ogunsoto becouse evan Amotaxi use to play in Belgium he scored only 14goal....

Dont feel sorry Ogunsuto u will get your chance...
G

Post by G »

He should tell us his real age first-nonsense!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

G wrote:He should tell us his real age first-nonsense!
Who the hell are you?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

Ayoakinfe said this guy is not Eagles material ~ attitudes like that are a huge part of the problem ...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

General Trousers wrote:Ayoakinfe said this guy is not Eagles material ~ attitudes like that are a huge part of the problem ...
In 2007, no serious player is still plying his trade in Belgium's Mickey Mouse Juliper League. If you are good, you will not play for more of a season there.

Look at this boy's record and tell me if this looks impressive to you:

Patrick Ogunsoto (born 19 April 1983 in Nigeria) is a Greek-Nigerian football player.

He started his European career at APOEL FC at the age of 16. One year later he was transferred to Ergotelis FC, who played in the third division at the time. In his first season at Ergotelis, Ogunsoto scored 30 goals in 32 games and the team was promoted to the Beta Ethniki. Following another promotion, Ogunsoto scored 11 goals in 29 games during their first season in the Alpha Ethniki, but the team was relegated. Ogunsoto subsequently moved to the Belgian side K.V.C. Westerlo, where he currently is topscorer with 16 goals in 21 games.

This boy has been in Europe for EIGHT years and can only manage to play for Westerloo. Other than Kanu, all our other strikers all came to Europe after him.

How come everyone else is playing in a better league than him despite coming to Europe after him. Our forumers who lived in Belgium like Larry and Prince will tell you that French clubs always recruit from there and also dispose of all their wastepipes to Belgium.

Osaze spent one season at La Louivre in Belgium and was immediately napped up by Lille. Yobo, Enakarhire, Afolabi, Babayaro, etc all began their careers in Belgium. If Ogunsoto was any good, he would have been snapped up from Greece to a better league.
ekene
Egg
Egg

Post by ekene »

How about ishiaku getting a shot.Hes beat ogunsoto today.
Ishiaku vs Ogunsoto
FT Club Brugge [2 - 0] Westerlo

14' [1 - 0] M. Ishiaku

62' [2 - 0] M. Ishiaku

Copyright © 1998-2007 LiveScore.com
Last edited by ekene on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Patrick should get invited and be given an opportunity. Unfortunately for him, I dont think he is good enough. There is a long line ahead of him.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

In 1994, Alloy Agwu, Sunday Oliseh, Daniel Amokachi, Chidi Nwanu, etc were playing in Belgium because nobody knew Nigeria's worth. Today, our players are well respected and get snapped up by French, English, Italian, German and Spanish clubs if they are any good.

Ask yourself how Ogunsoto can be playing for a Mickey Mouse club like Westerloo while the likes of Makinwa and Nsofor are playing in Serie A for Lazio and Chievo. It is not even as if anyone wants to buy Ogunsoto ala Ogbuke.

I put it to you that Ogunsoto and Isiaku are playing in Belgium because they are not good enough to play elsewhere. Even Belgium do not want to use players in the Juliper League in their national team, why should we?
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Well I see this discussion differently--All I have read here is we have a lot of strikers. On paper we do but in GWG, Our so many strikers have not really delivered for us--For Club --Yes.

ANC-06, Take a look at all the Strikers we took to the Tourny--From Martins--Nsofor--Agha-Makinwa--Utaka-Osaze,Kanu we struggled in every match played.

ANC-08 Q--Struggle to Beat Benin in lagos and Lesotho in lesotho.

FRIENDLY MATCHES

Super-EagleS gotta engage in friendly matches--Give Nigerian players in form a chance to showcase thier talents to see if they fit in. Failure to do this our reliance on the so many Strikers we have who are not really showing up when invited will continues.

The Ogunsoto--I. Uche--K Uche--Emeghara--Menssah need a friendly match to see what they bring to the table.
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

The guy is not good enough. Period!
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

The funniest part of this report is that the reporter thinks that Osaze is in-form.

The Norwegian league is not better than the Jupiler, infact it s worse.

If Chinedu Ogbuke (on the combined strength of his form in the Norwegian league) should get a call why not Ishiaku and PBO?

They both deserve at least a trial. Who knows one of them may knock of Makinwa and Osaze. Heck Utaka hardly scores, he hardly assists for us. What is he good for? These are at least 3 question marks. And these guys play in "superior leagues". Heck Makinwa should be starting on the strength of his league alone.

Again, a lot of luck/timing/hype is needed to make it as a 3rd world nation player into an elite European club. Gbenga Okunowo can readily testify to that.
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

Olayemi14 wrote:The guy is not good enough. Period!
how do you know

he should be capped for a friendlies let see what he got
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

Why is Makinwa playing for our national team? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Good question. Probably cuz he drops, don't worry though, with Vogts as the new coach hopefully his days are numbered
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

GIN wrote:Why is Makinwa playing for our national team? :oops: :oops: :oops:
WHOSAiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Ayoakinfe Fault--Makinwa 10 Pointer 2 yrs ago. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

GT, thats why we need friendlies, to test this players. In every FIFA window, we need to have a friendly for the under 23 team and the National team. If we can play two games in the one window, then let us to do.

Ogunsoto is a better option than Aghahowa and Makinwa right now.

If Ogunsoto wasn't good enough, why is it that Feyenord want to sign him in the summer.

AYO, there is a difference between a club player and a player that represents his country.

That what you don't understand.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Ogbuke and Markinwa don't derserve a spot ahead of him, it's obvious that these players especially Obguke is dropping serious dough.

Every player that is in-form like Oguntoso deserve a chance to prove what he can offer. He has score lots of goals this season, why is Osaze and Utaka getting prefrencial treatment, these players are not in-form.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:In 1994, Alloy Agwu, Sunday Oliseh, Daniel Amokachi, Chidi Nwanu, etc were playing in Belgium because nobody knew Nigeria's worth. Today, our players are well respected and get snapped up by French, English, Italian, German and Spanish clubs if they are any good.

Ask yourself how Ogunsoto can be playing for a Mickey Mouse club like Westerloo while the likes of Makinwa and Nsofor are playing in Serie A for Lazio and Chievo. It is not even as if anyone wants to buy Ogunsoto ala Ogbuke.

I put it to you that Ogunsoto and Isiaku are playing in Belgium because they are not good enough to play elsewhere. Even Belgium do not want to use players in the Juliper League in their national team, why should we?
Most Egyptian players that won ANC 2006 play for african clubs, but they perform better than most players from europe.

Agbahowa, Ogbuke, Makinwa and Utaka are not better than Oguntoso on current form. If you ask me I think he deserve a chance. Agbahowa wasn't playing for a big club when he was delivering the good for SE 7 years ago.
Last edited by mastermind on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
General Trousers wrote:Ayoakinfe said this guy is not Eagles material ~ attitudes like that are a huge part of the problem ...
In 2007, no serious player is still plying his trade in Belgium's Mickey Mouse Juliper League. If you are good, you will not play for more of a season there.

Look at this boy's record and tell me if this looks impressive to you:

Patrick Ogunsoto (born 19 April 1983 in Nigeria) is a Greek-Nigerian football player.

He started his European career at APOEL FC at the age of 16. One year later he was transferred to Ergotelis FC, who played in the third division at the time. In his first season at Ergotelis, Ogunsoto scored 30 goals in 32 games and the team was promoted to the Beta Ethniki. Following another promotion, Ogunsoto scored 11 goals in 29 games during their first season in the Alpha Ethniki, but the team was relegated. Ogunsoto subsequently moved to the Belgian side K.V.C. Westerlo, where he currently is topscorer with 16 goals in 21 games.

This boy has been in Europe for EIGHT years and can only manage to play for Westerloo. Other than Kanu, all our other strikers all came to Europe after him.

How come everyone else is playing in a better league than him despite coming to Europe after him. Our forumers who lived in Belgium like Larry and Prince will tell you that French clubs always recruit from there and also dispose of all their wastepipes to Belgium.

Osaze spent one season at La Louivre in Belgium and was immediately napped up by Lille. Yobo, Enakarhire, Afolabi, Babayaro, etc all began their careers in Belgium. If Ogunsoto was any good, he would have been snapped up from Greece to a better league.
We have a terrible problem of judging everything through European eyes. I think it makes sense to invite the man, see what he does in training and then go from there.
Also keep in mind that some players are late bloomers. They keep getting better every year. A good example of this is the African player of the year Drogba who has been in Europe for 9 years and 5 years ago was playing in the lower leagues in France.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

This is why I said Ayoakinfe is not making sense. He says Ogunsoto and Ishiaku are not Eagles materials ...
Fegwu wrote:The funniest part of this report is that the reporter thinks that Osaze is in-form.

If Chinedu Ogbuke (on the combined strength of his form in the Norwegian league) should get a call why not Ishiaku and PBO?

They both deserve at least a trial. Who knows one of them may knock of Makinwa and Osaze. Heck Utaka hardly scores, he hardly assists for us. What is he good for? These are at least 3 question marks. And these guys play in "superior leagues". Heck Makinwa should be starting on the strength of his league alone.

Again, a lot of luck/timing/hype is needed to make it as a 3rd world nation player into an elite European club. Gbenga Okunowo can readily testify to that.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

General Trousers wrote:This is why I said Ayoakinfe is not making sense. He says Ogunsoto and Ishiaku are not Eagles materials ...
Fegwu wrote:The funniest part of this report is that the reporter thinks that Osaze is in-form.

Ogbuke will be in the Premiership soon, while Ogunsoto will be wasting away in a backwater league. It is not as if Ogunsoto is a new player.

He has been in Europe for longer than Aghahowa, Utaka, Aiyegbeni, Makinwa, Ogbuke, Martins, Osaze, Uche, etc. This old man has blossomed as much as he ever will!
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Super Eagles should be based on merit. You have made derisive comments towards Ishiaku Mannaseh and Patrick Ogunsoto ... what is distressing is that as hard as these guys try, your negative comments are somehow shared by the rest of the Nigerian community who desire to see favorites play ahead of well performing player - this is the sort of activity that must stop. If a player is playing well he should be capped. If a player has great potential he should be invited to camp ...

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
General Trousers wrote:This is why I said Ayoakinfe is not making sense. He says Ogunsoto and Ishiaku are not Eagles materials ...

Ogbuke will be in the Premiership soon, while Ogunsoto will be wasting away in a backwater league. It is not as if Ogunsoto is a new player.

He has been in Europe for longer than Aghahowa, Utaka, Aiyegbeni, Makinwa, Ogbuke, Martins, Osaze, Uche, etc. This old man has blossomed as much as he ever will!