Senegal! Senegal!! Senegal!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

VINDAVE
Senegal! Senegal!! Senegal!!!

Post by VINDAVE »

Senegal Hopes to Continue Korea/Japan 2002 Fairy Tale
Focus on Seeded Team (Group B)
By Femi Atoyebi

http://www.thisdayonline.com/sport/20040107spo02.html

Senegal was seeded in Group B in recognition of the nation's performance in the last edition of the competition held in Mali. The Teranga Lions were revelation of the tournament, knocking out one of the favourites Nigeria, and playing holders Cameroon to a stand still. They, however, lost the trophy via penalty kicks.

Aside the 2002 achievements at the Nations Cup, Senegal would go on to represent Africa at the Korea/Japan World Cup and excell. The team's knack for rising up to big occasions saw them defeating the defending champions, France in the opening match and reaching the quarter finals before losing to Turkey by a lone goal. They were the only team from Africa to reach that stage at Korea/Japan 2002 and second African nation to reach that stage ever after Cameroon.

That strength and the zeal to be among the best in the world is enough to earn them the one of the group qualification tickets, especially with the prospects of their players around the globe. El Hadj Diouf, Kalilou Fadiga, Henri Camara, Lamine Diatta are some of the strengths of the Teranga Lions. They won three of their four matches en-route Tunisia 2004 and qualified as Group Eight leaders.

The strength of the team will be put to big test in Tunisia, considering the composition of Group B where they will compete. Clearly, the other three teams in the group viz Burkina Faso, Kenya and Mali have all proved to be strong contenders when it comes to the African Nations Cup.

Stiff opposition is expected to come from Mali which despite the fact that the nation is yet to win the Nations Cup has recorded good outings. Mali is not a regular team in the competition, in fact after its first participation in 1972 when Cameroon hosted, the nation had to wait for 22 years before appearing in Tunisia 94 where they lost to Zambia in the semi-finals.

As host in the last edition, Cameroon were the stumbling block in the semi-finals and Nigeria had to fight tooth and nail to subdue them in the third place match. What this implies is that Mali may give out another good account of them selves again as it is their tradition to register great impact whenever they participate in the tournament.

The way Mali qualified for the Nations Cup speaks a lot about the team, expected to be the greatest opposition to Senegal's ride in the group. In six matches, the team won four, drew one, scored eight goals and conceded only one goal. This tells of a compact defence that is not likely to give way and a strike force that will not give in to miserly defences.

This is not forgetting Burkina Faso, a team that shot its way to the limelight in 1998 when it hosted the competition. The nation had a great time out reaching the semi-finals. They are likely to pose a surprise to Senegal's success in the group although the latter may scale through with its collection of stars and experience at the world meet.
Last edited by VINDAVE on Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okpoama-boy
Egg
Egg

Post by Okpoama-boy »

I have my hearts 4 dem though. But Cameroon is the team to beat!!!!
On the Green turf we shall pick our preys!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Another bullock post from cyber crook aka vind419
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Another bullock post from cyber crook aka vind419
You nor see where you deh locate, EARTH-WARM?
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Another bullock post from cyber crook aka vind419
But wait a minute, this COMPOUND FOOL or angel*, haven't I warned you to stop reading my posts...? You will never learn GOAT HEAD.
Okpoama-boy
Egg
Egg

Post by Okpoama-boy »

was that worm or global warming warri/sapele/ughelli boy!!!!
On the Green turf we shall pick our preys!!!
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

VINDAVE,

I am surprised he has not used yarnch to insult you yet, he appears to be improving. but wait what did you call him ISIE-EWU i doubt he can't be that sweet you must look for another name.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga