WHY I HATE THE TERM - SUB SAHARAN AFRICA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet
WHY I HATE THE TERM - SUB SAHARAN AFRICA

Post by ROSSIKE »

How many people have actually stopped to think of this awful term used to describe the Black nations of Africa.

Sub-Saharan Africa.

Who coined this term? That person, in my humble opinion, is an evil monster that deserves the gallows.

This insulting name to Africans constitutes a form of verbal warfare, a form of verbal terrorism.

It's effects are subtle, but certain. And all negative.

By extension, another insulting term is The Third World.

Who on earth coined that term? It must have been one person.

That person deserves nothing good from this existence, and from future existences to come.

May he relive in every way all the pain, all the hurt, the death and the suffering, he's inflicted on untold billions by his singular, diabolical coinage of that term.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHY I HATE THE TERM - SUB SAHARAN AFRICA

Post by Jimi »

[
what is wrong with the term Rossike?...Interpreted directly, it means Sub(Under) the Sahara..which encompasses every region in Africa below the Sahara Desert. Or am I missing something?
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

I just don't see a European or American continent ever being referred to in such terms under identical circumstances. Sub-Saharan America? You gotta be kidding.

They have a lot of deserts in North America. See

http://www.desertusa.com/glossary.html

But the only sub I hear from there is the Subway (The train subway and the Subway sandwich)

There were many more respectful ways they could have described Africa 'south' of the sahara.

You'll note I have the word 'south' in quote above.

This is because, the countries of the earth are only NORTH or SOUTH depending on what position you're observing them from.

So viewed from another position in outer space, the SOUTH s actually the north. While Europe is to the SOUTH of Africa. (Sub Saharan Europe).

Those who purport to tell us how to think are in for a tough time, as more people escape their vapid indoctrinations.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

The Balkans is a term used to describe a geographical region in Europe, the polar regions is another term used in North America. Besides, North America has only three countries (or 4 if you count Greenland, although it belongs to Denmark). Anyways, the bottomline is that when you want to describe Black African countries, would you prefer they said Black Africa (which someone like you might interprete as racist) or Sub-Saharan Africa which has no "politically incorrect" intonations.

Or perhaps you might profer another name for referring to the rest of Africa ignoring the North African, Arab countries.
Bell

Post by Bell »

ROSSIKE, CUTTING THRU IT ALL...

...I think the reason you resent the term is because it brings together a contiguous region best known for its dominance of undesirable human incidents and conditions. By itself, the name is harmless.

Some might also react negatively to the term "Far East", thinking it is suggestive of an area far removed from the main regions of the world.
Bell
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Bell I agree. When Sub-Saharan countries become great it will be an honour to be classed as such!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
ama1
Egg
Egg

Post by ama1 »

The term “Sub-Sahara” is intellectually better than your famous word “BLACK” as qualifying phrases. At least, “Sub-Sahara” brings real geographical connotation to the humanity while “BLACK” brings denigration to the person being qualified as such and a sign of lacking intellectual strait on the person using hue to describe or qualify a human being. Besides, Sahara is a natural phenomenon that exists in Africa.
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

Sub-Sahara-Africa can also be interpreted as sub-human from Africa, Rossike has a point.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

realtrouble wrote:Sub-Sahara-Africa can also be interpreted as sub-human from Africa, Rossike has a point.
Besides, it was coined by the illuminati :)
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

ROSSIKE don come again ooh
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

Oba From Montreal and RealTrouble make some sense as usual. You see, gentlemen, the thing is, the beef is with the terming of us as 'sub' anything. 'Sub' denotes inferiority, lacking completeness, lesser than the 'non-sub' whole..

I reject the term in its entirety.

And I can't help but wish all the world's ills upon the spineless moron that invented it.
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

Said Oba from Montreal
Or perhaps you might profer another name for referring to the rest of Africa ignoring the North African, Arab countries.
Sure. Why not South Saharan Africa??

It sure sounds more respectable than SUB-saharan Africa, a name whose very introduction seems to butress already widely held, and infinitely false notions of African inadequacy.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

C'mon RossIke, South Saharan means South Sahara... Is Nigeria part of the Sahara?

Maybe you mean South of Sahara Africa and doesn't that sound so verbose? Look, as a respectable person pointed out earlier, if we made Sub-Saharan Africa great, it would be something to be envious about if someone said he was from Sub-Saharan Africa.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Real Trouble please tell me how the term Sub-saharan can be interpreted as Sub-Human? Such a suggestion is laughable. I suppose you can interprete Igbo to mean French too!
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

RudeBoy wrote:Real Trouble please tell me how the term Sub-saharan can be interpreted as Sub-Human? Such a suggestion is laughable. I suppose you can interprete Igbo to mean French too!
Rudeboy

Just as the European coined Africa the "Dark Continent" at the turn of the century, when there are larger rain forests in Soiuth America and Asia.

What is wrong with "Africa South of the Sahara" , why sub-sahara africa or would rather prefer the term sub-sahara Africa or backward.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

The "Dark" continent wasn't coined because of the colour of the people but because the continent was unknown to the people who called it that! "Sub" means below! Therefore used with human it is an insult but to use it with a building or a place it is not.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

There is nothing wrong with the term at all.

What would you prefer it to be called Rossike?
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Just as the European coined Africa the "Dark Continent" at the turn of the century, when there are larger rain forests in Soiuth America and Asia.
realtrouble, dark? rain forests? I see no connection.
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

The site below gives a definition of the word 'sub'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sub-
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

THE FULL DICTIONARY DEFINITION

SUB:

1. A prefix signifying under, below, beneath, and hence often, in an inferior position or degree, in an imperfect or partial state, as in subscribe, substruct, subserve, subject, subordinate, subacid, subastringent, subgranular, suborn [and sub-saharan Africa].

2. (Chem.) A prefix denoting that the ingredient (of a compound) signified by the term to which it is prefixed, is present in only a small proportion, or less than the normal amount; as, subsulphide, suboxide, [sub-saharan Africa] etc. Prefixed to the name of a salt it is equivalent to basic; as, subacetate or basic acetate.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

ROSSIKE..honestly there really is nothing derogatory about the term..and trying to spin it to sound as such is pretty much akin to taking sand to the beach..not necessary.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

The only problem with that title is that it identifies most of the poorest countries in the world and also the most corrupt ones!

Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

RudeBoy wrote:The only problem with that title is that it identifies most of the poorest countries in the world and also the most corrupt ones!
Even if they called it "Africa" it would still point to most of the poorest countries in the world.