And which school has the greatest sports legacy?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re:

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

original skeepolah wrote:FGC Ikot Tekpene was great in soccer.The were probably trhe best Fgc. Guys went from there to green eagles..... :lol:

which guys? list them.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re:

Post by Enugu II »

Ikranky wrote:Nike Boys Grammer School.

Produced Jay Jay Okocha, Emma Okocha, and I believe, the two Okala brothers, in addition to many other Rangers players.
None of the Okalas went to Nike if I remember correctly. The senior went to a hardly known school in Akwa and I believe the younger one went to a school in Onitsha. Bye neither went to Nike. Nike however had the Okocha as well as several other players.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: And which school has the greatest sports legacy?

Post by txj »

Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:Hussey College?
St Finbarr's College? (though mainly football)

daMunK
Demunk,

How did yu know about Hussey College?

Hussey is the greatest sports school in Nigeria both in football and Atlethics.

These guys are product of hussey.

Didiare
Morton Owolo
Donbraye
Usiyen
Franlin Howard
Omugheli
Mike Obiku
Temile
Zion Ogunfehimi
You and Damunk should shatap there one time!!!

Horsey ko!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I’ll admit that I don’t know what the current status of Secondary School football is but during my 4-year sojourn at Edo College, we were nicknamed the Midwest Sports College. We were ranked either #1 or #2 in every secondary school sport although the only ones that really mattered were football and athletics, now commonly known as track and field. In track and field, we had the likes of Charlton “Omoscular” Ehizuelen, Sunday Izevbighie, Peter and Pius Ofili, Charlie Umuze, Aig Imokhuede, Rowland Gbenga Edeki and other great athletes. I believe everyone knows who Omoscular and Izevbighie are. I have said previously on this forum that the full story of Sunday Izevbighie hasn’t yet been told. At one point, the Edo College relay team held the National 4 x 100 Relay record.

In football, we were blessed with the presence of players like Thomas Chike Okogie aka Tee-Cee, Clement “Pikolo” Okwufuleze, Sunday Izevbighie, Damian Ogunsuyi, Tony Amayo to name just a few. We lost to secondary schools only twice during my entire stay at Edo College. The first was a 1 - 0 upset loss to Eghosa Grammar School in the Edo Osagie Cup and the second loss was a fantastic and unbelievable 4 - 0 upset loss to NDC Ozoro in an Edo Osagie Cup semi-final the following year. Hussey College won the cup that year but we reclaimed it the following year. No other secondary beat us during that entire period and we played the likes of Hussey College, St. Finbarrs, Kings College, St. Greg’s and Loyola Ibadan to name a few. Edo College’s reputation was further enhanced by victories over league teams like the Vipers, Warri Wolves and Ethiope of Sapele❗️

Cheers.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:I’ll admit that I don’t know what the current status of Secondary School football is but during my 4-year sojourn at Edo College, we were nicknamed the Midwest Sports College. We were ranked either #1 or #2 in every secondary school sport although the only ones that really mattered were football and athletics, now commonly known as track and field. In track and field, we had the likes of Charlton “Omoscular” Ehizuelen, Sunday Izevbighie, Peter and Pius Ofili, Charlie Umuze, Aig Imokhuede, Rowland Gbenga Edeki and other great athletes. I believe everyone knows who Omoscular and Izevbighie are. I have said previously on this forum that the full story of Sunday Izevbighie hasn’t yet been told. At one point, the Edo College relay team held the National 4 x 100 Relay record.

In football, we were blessed with the presence of players like Thomas Chike Okogie aka Tee-Cee, Clement “Pikolo” Okwufuleze, Sunday Izevbighie, Damian Ogunsuyi, Tony Amayo to name just a few. We lost to secondary schools only twice during my entire stay at Edo College. The first was a 1 - 0 upset loss to Eghosa Grammar School in the Edo Osagie Cup and the second loss was a fantastic and unbelievable 4 - 0 upset loss to NDC Ozoro in an Edo Osagie Cup semi-final the following year. Hussey College won the cup that year but we reclaimed it the following year. No other secondary beat us during that entire period and we played the likes of Hussey College, St. Finbarrs, Kings College, St. Greg’s and Loyola Ibadan to name a few. Edo College’s reputation was further enhanced by victories over league teams like the Vipers, Warri Wolves and Ethiope of Sapele❗️

Cheers.
There is no doubt that Hussey college and Edo college were the best in Football and Athletics in the old midwest/Bendel State, but Edo College was second-best, even the great Charlton Ehizualem said it in an interview. Edo college never won the Grier Cup competition, but Hussey won it at least four times.

Talking about the Thermogen Cup(old western Region principals cup competition) Hussey college won it at least 3 times.
Omawumi Urhoro was still at Hussey College when she represented Nigeria in the 100 and 200meters at the Scotland commonwealth games.

Edo college won the Giwa Osagie cup in 1972 but did not reclaim the principal's cup after Hussey won it in 1971.

Olu Gbenga Edeki whom you mentioned above passed on 4 years ago, he was a great footballer and played for the state academicals. He played alongside some of the great Edo college players like Sunday Izemwingie, Charles Umuze, Paddy Whiskey, and Damien Ogunsuyi.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sir V, would you post the interview in which Charlton Ehizuelen said that Edo College was second best to Hussey College in sports?

Hussey College had a lot of success in football but I don’t think they ever managed to beat Edo College. Besides, Edo College was vastly superior in Track and Field, Hockey, Cricket and Basketball. Only St. John’s, Fuga could compete with Edo College in basketball❗️

Cheers.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Sir V, would you post the interview in which Charlton Ehizuelen said that Edo College was second best to Hussey College in sports?

Hussey College had a lot of success in football but I don’t think they ever managed to beat Edo College. Besides, Edo College was vastly superior in Track and Field, Hockey, Cricket, and Basketball. Only St. John’s, Fuga could compete with Edo College in basketball❗️

Cheers.
I will post the interview when I find it. My bro, Hussey was far ahead of Edo college in Track and field. Hussey produced top track and field Athletes that represented Nigeria.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sir V wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Sir V, would you post the interview in which Charlton Ehizuelen said that Edo College was second best to Hussey College in sports?

Hussey College had a lot of success in football but I don’t think they ever managed to beat Edo College. Besides, Edo College was vastly superior in Track and Field, Hockey, Cricket, and Basketball. Only St. John’s, Fuga could compete with Edo College in basketball❗️

Cheers.
I will post the interview when I find it. My bro, Hussey was far ahead of Edo college in Track and field. Hussey produced top track and field Athletes that represented Nigeria.
Name names❗️

Cheers.