I love the south african coach

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet
I love the south african coach

Post by skillful »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 376931.stm
Mashaba suspended

"Shakes" Mashaba has been suspended by Safa for seven days
South Africa's build-up to the African Cup of Nations has been thrown into chaos following the suspension of coach Ephraim 'Shakes' Mashaba.

Mashaba was suspended for seven days after a meeting of the South African Football Association (Safa) on Wednesday.

He was heavily criticised over his relationship with key players who have been left out of the squad for Tunisia 2004.

He will be replaced for this weekend's Cosafa Cup match in Mauritius by his assistant Styles Phumo.

Officials added that Mashaba could lose his job before the Nations Cup finals unless he recalls the likes of Quinton Fortune and other players he has fallen out with in recent months.

As first reported by BBC Sport, Mashaba had a heated meeting with football chiefs on Tuesday as the controversy over his selection policy rumbled on.

Mark Fish's request for a late arrival was turned down

Mashaba was taken to task for failing to accommodate requests by Benni McCarthy and Mark Fish that they be allowed to stay with their European clubs until just before the finals on 24 January.

Mashaba insisted that all players be available from 10 January, the start of the two-week period before a major continental championship allowed by Fifa for player call-ups.

As a result of Mashaba's hard-line stance, both McCarthy and Fish pulled out of the Bafana Bafana line-up altogether.

Safa officials have told the coach to recall the likes Fortune and the giant Dutch-based goalkeeper Hans Vonk or face the sack - a fate that could well still befall him.

It is not the first time Mashaba has fallen out with Safa officials.

He was temporarily replaced as coach in May last year for the friendly against England, after questioning the commitment of Lucas Radebe and others to the national side.

He insisted on picking a home-based squad for the game, and Safa drafted in Jomo Sono to take charge instead.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Yeah. Shakes is a very stubborn coach. But I think i know what he has in mind. He wants to prove to the Europeans that they aint S@%T. He wants local players to deliver the goods.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Baxter Jomo Sono to the rescue. :mrgreen:
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

I love this man as well he is incharge thats how a manager should be not to be dictated to.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
temitope
Egg
Egg

Post by temitope »

This issue goes beyond the ANC.. Unlike Nigeria these guys did not show up fro the qualifiers and now want to come to the ANC but only show up at the last minute...
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Tell me do we have any IC in Nigeria that can stand up to the FA this way?
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Bell

Post by Bell »

SHAKES MAY TAKE ALL THE ARROWS, BUT...

...future SA IC's will benefit from his principled (right or wrong) stand. Here's hoping that Nigerian IC's are taking careful notes.
Bell
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

There are time when a coach has to be flexible and times when he has to be tough.

I think "Shakes" Mashaba has over reacted to some of the problems and he is ending up losing key players.
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

he believes every player is dispensable. i think that is a positive attitude..
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

The fear of Nigeria is the beginning of wisdom.
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:There are time when a coach has to be flexible and times when he has to be tough.

I think "Shakes" Mashaba has over reacted to some of the problems and he is ending up losing key players.
True dat! sometimes you have understand these players and where they are coming from. I guess he could have been tough and flexible...however, this SA players are very, very, indiscipline most especially Benny McCarthy! But why do I care......
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:There are time when a coach has to be flexible and times when he has to be tough.

Was the coach not following Fifa rules?
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

furiously frank wrote:Tell me do we have any IC in Nigeria that can stand up to the FA this way?

Amodu could be like that, and there's Godwin UWua too.
Then off course KAdiri Ikhana is even worse