Interview with Ndubisi Chukunyere (Hibernians, Malta)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Calypso
Egg
Egg
Interview with Ndubisi Chukunyere (Hibernians, Malta)

Post by Calypso »

link-http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=143947
Head-to-head

Hibernians vs Sliema Wanderers

Kevin Azzopardi

Chukunyere (left) and Doncic

Sunday's goalless draw between Hibernians and Sliema Wanderers came as a surprise given the abundance of attacking riches in both teams. Kevin Azzopardi discussed the matter with Danilo Doncic, of Sliema, and Hibs' Ndubisi Chukunyere.

1. Sunday's goalless stalemate was the product of solid defensive play or ineffective forward movement?

Danilo Doncic: It's hard to say. Hibs were the better side in the first half and had the better chances but the second half belonged to us. There were opportunities at both ends but no goals were scored. It was one of those games but there was plenty of commitment from both teams.

Ndubisi Chukunyere: It was a combination of both. The defenders did a good job and maybe the players who are expected to create and finish off the chances were not as sharp as they were expected to be... I missed a great chance in the first half.

2. Are you satisfied with the point obtained?

DD: Our aim before the game was to collect the three points to keep the pressure on Birkirkara. A draw was not in our plans but the defeat of Birkirkara in the next game increased the value of that point.

NC: Not really satisfied but it's acceptable. You can't be happy when you don't win but on the other hand a point is better than nothing.

3. Were you surprised by Birkirkara's slip-up to Floriana?

DD: I was surprised with the 2-0 scoreline but not with Floriana's victory. Birkirkara are not playing well lately but they were still getting the points. Against Floriana, it did not happen.

NC: I thought Birkirkara would beat Floriana but the next thing I heard was that they lost 2-0. It was a big surprise.

4. Sliema/Hibs have yet to show the level of performances expected of them this season. Why is that?

DD: I hope we hit top gear when it matters most... in the Championship Pool. We made a flying start in the Champions League and we did enjoy some bright moments against both FC Skonto and FC Copenhagen, two very strong teams. Our performances took a nosedive after that but our form is back on track.

NC: Players lose form and injuries also take their toll on the team. At Hibs, we have had our fair share of setbacks but we're united... that's our forte because our squad is not as big as that of Birkirkara or Sliema.

If I'm injured, it's a problem for the team. If any other important player is out, again it's a problem for the coach to replace him. We need to increase our pool of players but that does not mean we are not going to challenge for the title.

5. Who are your favourites to land the title?

DD: Sliema Wanderers, obviously.

NC: I can't say because of the unpredictable nature of this season's campaign. This is by far the tightest championship since I came here. At first, I thought Birkirkara were the hot favourites but Sliema are also there. It's a hard call.

6. The January transfer sales opened last week. Would you be tempted to change club if you receive an interesting offer?

DD: No. At the moment I'm only concerned with honouring my duties with Sliema. I have five months to go on my contract and after that, I will weigh up any offers that might come.

NC: In Malta no, but if I get a good offer from abroad, I would be very interested.

7. Marsaxlokk have again taken the transfer market by storm with the signing of three players... Bogdanovic, Asechemie and Casha. What do you make of these acquisitions?

DD: I really like it when small clubs invest their money to build a competitive team. The Premier League needs more clubs like Marsaxlokk to enhance the element of competition. Look at this season, virtually all teams are capable of beating anyone on their day. The new signings should improve Marsaxlokk's potential. I have played with Bogdanovic and he has exceptional technical skills.

NC: Marsaxlokk got the players they needed. Asechemie is a very good player. They were already a difficult side to beat. Now, I presume they will be an even harder nut to crack.

8. Which positions in your team need to be strengthened?

DD: Michael Mifsud has bolstered our attacking power. We also have plenty of talented midfielders and our defence is virtually that of the national team. Ian Ciantar and Lee Lombardi are recovering from injuries and there are other interesting youngsters. Our squad does not need reinforcements I suppose.

NC: We need a defender and a hard-working midfielder.

9. Handed the power to draw up your club's shopping list, which Malta-based player would be your no.1 target?

DD: Andrè Schembri of Hibs. That would be a very good investment... he is one for the future.

NC: Jonathan Holland and Ian Azzopardi, both of Floriana.

10. What is your resolution for the New Year?

DD: My wish is to win a second league title with Sliema.

NC: I am gunning for a second championship with Hibs and a move overseas. Those are the only two things on my mind.

11. What do you think of Doncic/Chukunyere?

DD: He's a very good player, a vital cog in Hibs' attacking mechanism. Chukunyere is one of the best foreigners here.

NC: Doncic is not just a good finisher, he creates a lot of chances for others. Two qualities that make him a very useful forward.

12. Players, especially strikers, are subjected to intense criticism when the goals dry up. How do you react to negative comments?

DD: It depends from where the criticism is coming. I have no problem to discuss my performances with professional people directly involved with the club. As for the negative comments from certain people, who pretend to know everything about football, I only have one thing to say: have a look at the statistics and then we can talk. My record with Sliema speaks for itself - 57 goals in 68 matches, never mind the countless assists I provided.

NC: In football, anywhere in the world, there is more pressure on strikers because people expect them to score all the time.

It's obvious that a shortage of goals trigger criticism but as far as I'm concerned, I don't see myself only as a goalscorer. My job is also to supply chances for others and when I do that, I am satisfied.

13. What were the highest and lowest points in your career so far?

DD: I touched the bottom in the early 90s. I was still living in Yugoslavia but the situation at Napredak, the club I was playing for, was in such shambles that I even considered quitting football. It was a very difficult period for everyone back home because war had just broken out. It was the only time in my life when, for three months I had a part-time job to supplement my income from football.

The highest point in my career was the end of season 1996-97 when I won five cups with Valletta. I was in peak form... the team had no rivals here and I also finished as top-scorer.

NC: Scoring the goal that booked our passage to the second qualifying round of the Champions League last year against Shelbourne is still the highlight of my career. The lowest point... this season I was very frustrated by our 1-0 defeat to Balzan Youths.

14. Maltese clubs are often accused of signing low-quality players. What are your views on the level of foreign imports this season?

DD: The standard of foreign players is influenced by the amount of money clubs are prepared to pay.

You cannot expect to eat turkey every day when your financial means only allow you to buy chicken. This is the reality of Maltese football.

Money is in short supply and the training facilities are not very good. Having said that, I think the overall level of foreign players in Malta has improved over the last few years.

Foreign players coming to Malta for the first time are adapting quicker to the different demands of local football.

NC: Maltese clubs want the Ronaldos, Rivaldos and Baggios but they cannot afford them. You get what you pay for... that's the whole picture. People always complain about this and that but they never stop to reflect on the limitations of football here. They should be satisfied with what they are getting, especially this year as the foreign players are doing well for their clubs.

15. Restrictions on foreigners are expected to fall when Malta becomes a full EU member in May. The MFA, however, still want clubs to limit the number of overseas players...

DD: The association and clubs must protect Maltese players. A sudden influx of foreigners will have an adverse effect.

I think we will lose most of our young and talented players if the bulk of first-team opportunities are taken by other foreigners.

On the other hand, good-quality players should pep up the standard but there should be some form of control to safeguard the youngsters and the national teams.

NC: It's good for the MFA to do that. If you have a situation where foreign players are allowed to join clubs without restrictions, young Maltese players will have no space to show their worth.

The national teams will also suffer. But there is also another side to the story. Foreign players improve competition, so the best thing is to try and find a right balance.
[/quote]
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

When did the Maltese start playing football?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Rudeboy:

I don't get it.