chei...make we no chopulate snails again?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
chei...make we no chopulate snails again?

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 1504262342

By JULIET WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer

MILWAUKEE - Federal health officials have seized several dangerous pests called Giant African Land Snails from Wisconsin classrooms and have started a national search for the creatures.

Many of the snails, which are illegal to have in the United States, were used in classrooms where school officials didn't know they were dangerous, said Willie Harris, eastern regional director of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites)'s Safeguarding, Intervention and Trade Compliance Program.

"Based on some information we got, the schools were a common place that these snails may be found," Harris said Monday.

In the last month, the USDA seized fewer than 10 of the animals from Wisconsin cities including Big Bend, Menasha and Milwaukee. Officials have not found any others in the country but are combing pet shops and animal swap meets for the creatures.

They are concerned the snails, which also can be found in India, China, the Philippines and other countries in the region, could be transported to states with warmer climates, where they can rapidly reproduce and destroy plants. The snails are known to consume as many as 500 different plants and their mucous can transmit meningitis.
The increased surveillance began after about 150 of the Giant African Land Snails were seized in November from pet shops, schools and animal swap meets in Wisconsin.

"Some people have them as pets and may not realize that there are concerns with human health as well as with the pests themselves to agricultural production," said Nolen Lemon, a USDA spokesman.

Five of the snails were taken from Nicolet Elementary School in Menasha after teachers learned they were illegal to have, principal Linda Joosten said Monday.

A parent was given the snails and donated them to the school, where they were kept in classroom aquariums, she said.

"They were very cool creatures. But they were not to be possessed by us," Joosten said. "The bottom line is while there's a risk of health, the biggest risk is to the environment."

In 1966, a Miami boy smuggled three Giant African Land Snails into the country. His grandmother eventually released them into the garden, and in seven years there were more than 18,000 of them. The eradication program took 10 years and cost $1 million, according to the USDA.

The giant snails can hang on to cargo shipped in from other parts of the world but sometimes are smuggled in illegally for use as pets or as an exotic culinary delicacy. A single snail breeding session can produce 100 to 400 eggs.

"There's some groups that actually eat these snails. There's definite human health risks associated with that," Harris said.

Punishments for importing the snails vary depending on the seriousness of the violation, but smugglers can face fines of up to $1,000 per charge.

Harris said people who have the snails without knowing they are illegal will not face punishment if they notify authorities.

"Often people get these exotic pets and when they tire of them they'll release them into the environment. This is a significant exotic pest that can cause a lot of damage in the environment," Harris said.

Joe Donovan, a spokesman for the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, said the agency told school officials of the threat through its e-mail newsletter.

"We were informed by the USDA that there may be a problem with these snails in classrooms," Donovan said. "The DPI will do everything it can to ensure that Wisconsin students are safe."

People who find the snails are asked to call the anti-smuggling hot line at 800-877-3835.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

I also saw this...we have been eating snails for years, and i guess we know how to deal with eat..I never once heard of someone who got sick from eating snails, except they were rotten.........Oyimbo neva unda stand am, and them go condemn am......If it is well prepared, i go wack am, no be dis felele news i go believe.Yeah it is true wht they say, but obviously they do not understand them beyond that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

That one na their wahala jare. I love snail. Oh, you make my mouth water. Kai..... where can I get some correct Naija food in Montreal? :roll: :( :( :cry:
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

not in canada ooohhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....

Post by Guest »

Na folks wey no wash their snail well-well with alom dey get wahala. If you use alom scrub am well well and cook am proper, nothing go shele. In 2001, I just dey mad as I see UK people dey bury malu in their thousand. What a waste of correct meat. Dem for just transfer am to naija and see how we do justice to am. Nobody go get CJD and foot and mouth.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Baba no regret... that one is a million steps far from near. I see no difference between mad cow and mad men. Have you seen what CJD does to people? I won't even offer my worst enemy possibly-infected CJD meat.
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

baba no regrets wrote:Na folks wey no wash their snail well-well with alom dey get wahala. If you use alom scrub am well well and cook am proper, nothing go shele. In 2001, I just dey mad as I see UK people dey bury malu in their thousand. What a waste of correct meat. Dem for just transfer am to naija and see how we do justice to am. Nobody go get CJD and foot and mouth.
haba Baba no regrets.... na people like u dey import fake and expired good + toxic waste into naija in d name of business.... so na naijas deserve to go mad and die, abi? :evil: :x :evil: :x
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

I be dey think say black man dey immune to mad cow. By the time Nigerian man chopulate the meat with all vigour the madness go disappear from the meat. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1. Always a fan of good football

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

If you lisin to Oyinbo, u no go choplate anytin except cucumber and lettuce...really this is a nonsensical report.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

airwolex wrote:If you lisin to Oyinbo, u no go choplate anytin except cucumber and lettuce...really this is a nonsensical report.
:P :P :P
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

I guess we are immune to Snailgitis.
Honestly, if the ship all those cows with mad cow disease to Nigeria, will people eat the meat? Kai...I know say meat scarce for Naija no be small.
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Peeps will MASSACRE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A sure promise............ :mrgreen:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....