So Bergkamp only scored 4 times for all his starts

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

azuka
So Bergkamp only scored 4 times for all his starts

Post by azuka »

Can't believe this when i read this. I can bet my last dough that NK would have scored more if he had these many chances. However, all is well that ends well.

Bergkamp closes on deal

Ajax target Bergkamp
Bergkamp eyes one more year
Arsenal striker Dennis Bergkamp is hopeful that he can agree a new Highbury contract within weeks.
Bergkamp, 34, has agreed a one-year extension in principle for next season, but hopes to finalise it quickly.

He said: "The manager has promised it will be sorted out sooner than last year, when the timing was difficult.

"I told the manager I wanted to carry on and he said 'we're on the same lines' but I'd like it to be done before the end of the season."

Bergkamp only scored four Premiership goals this season but says he is not bothered by people saying he is on his way out at Highbury.

"Ever since 2000, I've read that I'm going to play fewer games. But I'm still playing a lot! So the manager can say it again," he said.

"You have to look at how the season goes with injuries. If I can maintain this level then I hope I'll be useful.

"Football-wise, I haven't surprised myself - but physically you never know if you can keep it up all season. I've hardly missed a training session and just a few games, so I'm quite happy with that."

However he did admit that hanging up his boots at the end of his career would be a difficult experience, because he is so happy to be part of the current Arsenal set-up.

"A lot of players who are coming towards the end of their careers are happy that it's finishing, but it's going to be difficult for me to leave this team," he said.

"When you really enjoy football, and this is football at the highest level, you want to keep doing it if you feel you can. I feel I can still do it, and it would be difficult to say goodbye."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 662053.stm
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

stats have a habit of hiding certain things
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

azuka,

Hmm what i see in Bergkamp's game is he paces himself all the time and doesn't have that energy he onced had where he could run all over the place. Interesting his been around for quite a while and i remember watching him during Euro'92 in Sweden and the qualifiers for WC'94. His come a long way and i think his experience and the way he reads the game is what gives him the edge over Kanu.

I believe Kanu should play more also but we see what loyality can do to a player at times. Interesting this was the same team that was crying and relying on Kanu to hold the fort for them when they had no strikers left and now that everyone is back he is put on the bench again. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but it's time Kanu moves to a better club where he can feature more, play in UEFA or UCL league games and do many things. Hoping and waiting for Wenger to use is not going to happen.
Soldier of Fortune...
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

MI5 wrote:azuka, . I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but it's time Kanu moves to a better club where he can feature more, play in UEFA or UCL league games and do many things. Hoping and waiting for Wenger to use is not going to happen.
Let's all be honest here please....Kanu is NOT on the level of those Arsenal players....and for now he CANNOT get into any team that is on Arsenal's level or better. When we see truth, make we talk.

It takes 10-11 secs max for boys to get across the field and score from their penalty box. Do you think Kanu can play this kinda ball? I'm talking real time NOT slow motion.

Q
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

quickie,

Actually you are wrong those players in Arsenal infact should be shinning Kanu's shoes for him everyday non stop. He is the most successful player on that team and apart from the French players who have won the WC and European championship in which Kanu has also won with the Olympics, silver and bronze medals at the ANC. His success rate in Europe is an accomplishment even his teammates at Arsenal would wish they have on their resume.

It's either you started following futbol yesterdaay or today but before Henry, Viera, Pires, Campbell, Toure, Lauren, and other came on to the scene Kanu was leading his teams to glory and winning medals left and right.

quickie wrote:
MI5 wrote:azuka, . I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but it's time Kanu moves to a better club where he can feature more, play in UEFA or UCL league games and do many things. Hoping and waiting for Wenger to use is not going to happen.
Let's all be honest here please....Kanu is NOT on the level of those Arsenal players....and for now he CANNOT get into any team that is on Arsenal's level or better. When we see truth, make we talk.

It takes 10-11 secs max for boys to get across the field and score from their penalty box. Do you think Kanu can play this kinda ball? I'm talking real time NOT slow motion.

Q
Soldier of Fortune...
naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)

Post by naija4ever »

MI5 wrote:azuka,

Hmm what i see in Bergkamp's game is he paces himself all the time and doesn't have that energy he onced had where he could run all over the place. Interesting his been around for quite a while and i remember watching him during Euro'92 in Sweden and the qualifiers for WC'94. His come a long way and i think his experience and the way he reads the game is what gives him the edge over Kanu.

I believe Kanu should play more also but we see what loyality can do to a player at times. Interesting this was the same team that was crying and relying on Kanu to hold the fort for them when they had no strikers left and now that everyone is back he is put on the bench again. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but it's time Kanu moves to a better club where he can feature more, play in UEFA or UCL league games and do many things. Hoping and waiting for Wenger to use is not going to happen.
M15, nothing is going on behind the scene other than that AW prefers french speaking players to anglo africans. Bergkamp is a european(white) so thats why even though he and freddy dont speak french they still play ahead of KANU.
I only wish KANU will listen to people here and move to another EPL, or any other top european club. If luck will have it, he may have an opportunity to do Arsenal what Morientes did Real maldrid. its high time he left that place, this is now more serious than ever :evil: :wink: :x . AW practices too much nepotism in squad selections, even Wiltord has also been gradually making his way back into the team while Papilo has been more of a spectactor than a player. :oops: :shock: :? . MOVE PAPILO MOVE :!: :oops: :? :(
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

MI5 wrote:quickie,

Actually you are wrong those players in Arsenal infact should be shinning Kanu's shoes for him everyday non stop. He is the most successful player on that team and apart from the French players who have won the WC and European championship in which Kanu has also won with the Olympics, silver and bronze medals at the ANC. His success rate in Europe is an accomplishment even his teammates at Arsenal would wish they have on their resume.

It's either you started following futbol yesterdaay or today but before Henry, Viera, Pires, Campbell, Toure, Lauren, and other came on to the scene Kanu was leading his teams to glory and winning medals left and right.

quickie wrote:

Q

On the contrary, my friend...didn't start watching football yesterday...but a finished man is a finished man. I watch Kanu live when he is played at Highbury...and he's really struggling.

Don't start bringing sentiments of 1994 & 1996. Shall we put Finidi, Amokachi and Bogarde into the Arsenal team because they won medals b4 Vieira and Toure?

Answer me honestly, when was the last time that Kanu had a meaningful contribution into a trophy winning side? Yes, 1996 Olympics in an age group competition. Like or loathe it, those are the facts

Q
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

I stand by what i write and what i say about Kanu and it's there for all to see. His achievements throughout his career for club and country will always be there for all those who like him and hate him to. No one can take that away from him.

All his teammates at Arsenal would wish they have all the medals Kanu has right now. Trying to judge his overall peformance now because he didn't contribute to Arsenal winning side l wonder what contribution you are talking about. When he came into Arsenal and set the league alights with his stellar displays then where were you? now that his performance has gone down everyone is taking jabs at him.

You tell what me since you claim to watch Arsenal live what is Arsenal's record in Europe? When was the last time they won an European trophy let me 1994 or 1995 when they won the cup winners cup. Since then what happened?

Pls tell what is Viera's, Pires, Henry's and other record in Europer apart from their national team success? Dennis the menace who hates to fly tell what what has he done for Arsenal in Europe.. Infact all the players at Arsenal don't even match up to him when you talk about his overall success in Europe as a whole...It's only something they could dream off...

quickie wrote:
MI5 wrote:quickie,

quickie wrote:

Q

On the contrary, my friend...didn't start watching football yesterday...but a finished man is a finished man. I watch Kanu live when he is played at Highbury...and he's really struggling.

Don't start bringing sentiments of 1994 & 1996. Shall we put Finidi, Amokachi and Bogarde into the Arsenal team because they won medals b4 Vieira and Toure?

Answer me honestly, when was the last time that Kanu had a meaningful contribution into a trophy winning side? Yes, 1996 Olympics in an age group competition. Like or loathe it, those are the facts

Q
Soldier of Fortune...
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

MI5,

The fact of the matter is that Kanu played for a world class Ajax team 10 years ago....if you want to talk about contributions, Finidi was one of the mainstays of that Ajax team NOT Kanu.

I'm not knocking Kanu but his time with top 10 european teams is over. People like Rivaldo and Djorkaeff have won the most important trophy of all, the World cup but they're hanging around at Bolton because they are not at their prime and cannot get into primetime teams. Simple. That's life. No one can rule forever...there's always a time to step aside for younger ones.

As per Nigeria, Kanu HAS NOT won anything other than age group competitions.
He has never won the ANC....most Camerounians have won 2.

On the club scene, he was a squad member for Ajax...recently relived CL 94 semis have a caption of 'Substitute' whenever they show the great man's name.

Don't for once think people that have won the World Cup and European championships envy a man that won the CL as a bit a part player 10 years ago.

They might as well be going to worship Bogarde in the CFC reserves.

PS - Just to put things in perspective for you, Lauren has won 2 ANCs and an Olympics and has done it more recently.

Q
dagooner
Egg
Egg

Post by dagooner »

How many goals has Knau scored for Naija since after his goals against Brazil in Atlanta '96?

In as much I don't question his abilities as a footballer, He MUST face the fact that if he chooses to stay @ ARSENAL, he will remain a bit-part player.

I mean which coach worth his salt will select Kanu ahead of Henry, Bergkamp, Reyes or even Aliadiere(sp)? Not ARSENE.

M15, why don't you petition Hertzfield on Kanu's behalf if u believe so much in his abilities??
TRUTH is NOT Known by Its Popularity!!!!
nakson
Egg
Egg

Post by nakson »

Some of you guys are confused. The same finished statement was used to describe Okocha after anc 2002. He had been condemned to obscurity yet today he''s the best player Nigeria has. Kanu's problem lies in excess loyalty to Wenger. Wenger gave him the opportunity to restart his career. Have you ever heard kanu threaten to quit arsenal if he didn't get playing time. The Kanu that played in Anc 2004 is far from finished.
If a monkey is amongst dogs, why won't it start barking?

Nobody mourns an unnoticed death.

If a donkey kicks you and you kick back, you are both donkeys.

He who eats well speaks well or it is a question of insanity.

A tiger does not have to proclaim its tigri-tude.

When man pikin dey piss, him dey hold something for hand. Woman wey try-am, go piss for her hand.
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

Dagooner asked:
How many goals has Knau scored for Naija since after his goals against Brazil in Atlanta '96?

Answer: MANY GOALS.

Kanu was among the top scorers in our last WC qualifying games (6 goals I think), and has created several chances that have led to important goals, most recently being at the last ANC where his immense, invaluable assists and contributions helped us to the semis.

AND KANU IS BETTER THAN BERGKAMP.

REFARDLESS OF WHAT WENGER AND THE REST OF THE HIGHBURY PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT MACHINERY DOES OR SAYS.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Kanu was among the top scorers in our last WC qualifying games (6 goals I think),

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

ROSSIKE wrote: AND KANU IS BETTER THAN BERGKAMP.

REFARDLESS OF WHAT WENGER AND THE REST OF THE HIGHBURY PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT MACHINERY DOES OR SAYS.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Only here on CE will you see such ludricous statements.
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Dagooner asked:

Quote:

Answer: MANY GOALS.

Kanu was among the top scorers in our last WC qualifying games (6 goals I think), and has created several chances that have led to important goals, most recently being at the last ANC where his immense, invaluable assists and contributions helped us to the semis.

AND KANU IS BETTER THAN BERGKAMP.

REFARDLESS OF WHAT WENGER AND THE REST OF THE HIGHBURY PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT MACHINERY DOES OR SAYS

Rossi: Stick to burning incense and gazing at the stars because you dont know jack about soccer. Only a mugu would spout such uninformed nonsense. Anyway, no need to trouble your Illuminati-induced brain, here are the stats for our last world cup qualifying run.........I am sure you could deduce that Wenger, the White establishment, or yes, the Illuminati made Kanu's SIX GOALS dissapperar.....kaiii, wonders will never end :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2002 FIFA World Cup™ Preliminaries http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en//t/q/caf-gb.html

Confederations: AFC CAF CONCACAF CONMEBOL OFC UEFA

Final Round: Group A | Group B | Group C | Group D | Group E
First Round: First Round

Group B
Team P W D L GF:GA Pts
Nigeria 8 5 1 2 15:3 16
Liberia 8 5 0 3 10:8 15
Sudan 8 4 0 4 8:10 12
Ghana 8 3 2 3 10:9 11
Sierra Leone 8 1 1 6 2:15 4

17-JUN-00 Lagos Nigeria : Sierra Leone 2:0 (2:0) LAGOS
18-JUN-00 Omdurman Sudan : Liberia 2:0 (0:0) OMDURMAN
09-JUL-00 Accra Ghana : Sierra Leone 5:0 (1:0) National Sports Council
09-JUL-00 Monrovia Liberia : Nigeria 2:1 (1:1) Samuel Doe Sports Complex
27-JAN-01 Port Harcourt Nigeria : Sudan 3:0 (0:0) Liberation
28-JAN-01 Accra Ghana : Liberia 1:3 (0:1) National Sports Council
25-FEB-01 Omdurman Sudan : Ghana 1:0 (0:0) El Meriekh
25-FEB-01 Paynesville Liberia : Sierra Leone 1:0 (0:0) Samuel K. Doe Sports Stadium
10-MAR-01 Freetown Sierra Leone : Sudan 0:2 (0:2) National Stadium
11-MAR-01 Accra Ghana : Nigeria 0:0 National Sports Council
21-APR-01 Freetown Sierra Leone : Nigeria 1:0 (1:0) National Stadium
22-APR-01 Paynesville Liberia : Sudan 2:0 (1:0) Samuel K. Doe Sports Stadium
05-MAY-01 Freetown Sierra Leone : Ghana 1:1 (0:1) National Stadium
05-MAY-01 Port Harcourt Nigeria : Liberia 2:0 (1:0) Liberation
01-JUL-01 Monrovia Liberia : Ghana 1:2 (1:1) MONROVIA
01-JUL-01 Omdurman Sudan : Nigeria 0:4 (0:1) El Meriekh
14-JUL-01 Freetown Sierra Leone : Liberia 0:1 (0:0) National Stadium
15-JUL-01 Accra Ghana : Sudan 1:0 (1:0) National Sports Council
29-JUL-01 Port Harcourt Nigeria : Ghana 3:0 (3:0) Liberation
29-JUL-01 Omdurman Sudan : Sierra Leone 3:0 (2:0) El Meriekh
Last edited by anikulapo on Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

And oh by the way, he scored twice

MLK.
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

Some ppl and their bias love for a player is so disturbing I actually think they would probably vote Kany worlf FIFA player of the year if they had the chance. How tha hell do we continue to make dumb #$% insinuations that AW prefers French speaking players to Anglo Africans ( a clause probably used instead of " Africans " after realising that Lauren and Toure are regulars in the team ). If a player is not what he use to be let us open our eyes, see and tell the truth. Kanu FOR NOW, has not played well enough to displace the regulars in his team. No excuses. Eeh we need someone to hold the ball ..... , we need some experienced striker ..... , we need this we need that ...... , the've needed all this before now and what tha hell did he do then: naddah ! So please if Kanu leaves all well and good, if he stays he needs to up his game period !
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Globero and Anikulapo,

No mind them.

Please leave them to keep living in cuckoo-land. A striker has been to 3 ANCs and a 2 WCs and hasn't scored a goal, and they're still saying he's the bees knees.

Now, AW prefers Frenchmen and Franco Africans abi? Those guys never address the point...always blaming someone else.

Nobody is handcuffing Kanu to the Arsenal bench, let him go to a team that he'll play regularly and see.....the more he plays, the more exposed he is.

If we continue like this, some guys here would wanna carry him to Germany 2006 if we get there. Hmmmm.

Q
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

I think Kanu must have had some quarrel with Wenger over the Year 2000 ANC call-up saga and also,do you trust his heart to be working well enough to play all the time?

Who cares,as long as he leaves Arsenal next month,I don't care what he does now,even if he runs around North London stark naked. :lol: