I am Glad Martins is not Going to the ANC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

odi
Egg
Egg

Post by odi »

Africana wrote:It is not quite true.

1. Although we have several striking options, based on current form, Martins starting ahead of many of them would not have been a terrible mistake by any coach. Apart from Aghahowa, who else do you really think can deliver consistently?

2. If he had started and failed to shine, it would just be that--and that is a big IF. Nobody dumps an Inter Milan star, who continues to do business in Europe, merely for not shining like a million stars at the ANC. The Onyeukwu analogy is out of order. Friday was largely raw when he was unleashed on the big stage. Despite his youth, Martins has far more high-level footballing experience than Onyeukwu ever had.

3. People may call him a savior and there is no doubt too much hype about Martins, but you write as if this young man is not, after all special. He is, and that is the reason for the expectation. Given his form, he was more likely going to succeed than fail at the ANC. He may not have produced superhuman play, but he would have added much value to our squad.

I have a feeling you had Bath Ogbeche and the last World Cup in mind when you penned your thread. The difference is that Bath had only played a FEW games in a modest league before making a leap to the highest stage in football! It is different from Martins who has held his own in MANY games for one of the world's finest sides in about the finest league and in European competitions making an impact in the ANC.

In conclusion, I am sad that Martins is not going to the ANC.
Very well put, Africana. I feel ya all the way!
The SUPER EAGLES shall rise again!
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Africana wrote:It is not quite true.

1. Although we have several striking options, based on current form, Martins starting ahead of many of them would not have been a terrible mistake by any coach. Apart from Aghahowa, who else do you really think can deliver consistently?

2. If he had started and failed to shine, it would just be that--and that is a big IF. Nobody dumps an Inter Milan star, who continues to do business in Europe, merely for not shining like a million stars at the ANC. The Onyeukwu analogy is out of order. Friday was largely raw when he was unleashed on the big stage. Despite his youth, Martins has far more high-level footballing experience than Onyeukwu ever had.

3. People may call him a savior and there is no doubt too much hype about Martins, but you write as if this young man is not, after all special. He is, and that is the reason for the expectation. Given his form, he was more likely going to succeed than fail at the ANC. He may not have produced superhuman play, but he would have added much value to our squad.

I have a feeling you had Bath Ogbeche and the last World Cup in mind when you penned your thread. The difference is that Bath had only played a FEW games in a modest league before making a leap to the highest stage in football! It is different from Martins who has held his own in MANY games for one of the world's finest sides in about the finest league and in European competitions making an impact in the ANC.

In conclusion, I am sad that Martins is not going to the ANC.
Great points. Just read elsewhere on this forum about how CCC will have to listen to input from his senior players. What kind of input do you think Okocha, kanu et. al will give him regarding squad selection and starting eleven. I'd really hate to see Martins warm the bench for the likes of Kanu.
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
Bell

Post by Bell »

PRAY, HOW WAS PETER IJEH "USED & DUMPED"?

The man was given an opportunity to make a claim to membership of the SE pool. This was done at a low-profile match and the man, at least in the opinion of the coaches, didn't make the grade. What more could have been done? Continue to invite at the expense of new prospects or more deserving players?

As for Ogbeche, let's stop using him as an excuse to Justify Martins. Assuming Japan/Korea destroyed him psychologically, he's had 18 months to put that behind him. I'll bet he'd go to Japan/Korea again if he had to make that decision today.
Bell
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Anyone who says they are now happy that Martins is not going to the ANC is a liar. Its all because that kid has called your bluff.
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena