Bundesliga, the nemesis of Super Eagles players?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Bundesliga, the nemesis of Super Eagles players?

Post by Dammy »

I was going through the stats for last week-end's German bundesliga and discovered that none of the 4 Nigerian players plying their trade in the bundesliga were listed for action. While Hansa Rostock's Gabriel Melkam is out with an injury, the trio of Victor Agali, Pascal Ojigwe and Seyi Olajengbesi were fit but not listed by their respective clubs. This is a worrisome trend regarding Nigerian players in the bundesliga and a look-back into the careers of SE players in the bundesliga reveals that the German league appears to end the promising careers of SE players. Read on.

Jonathan Akpoborie: One of the most siuccessful Nigerian imports in German football with stints at Hansa Rostock, Sttutgart and Wolfsburg. His career was derailed when he was sacked by Wolfsburg on unsubstantiated allegations of human trafficking on a ship that is owned by him.
Victor Ikpeba: He moved to B.Dortmund with a big reputation, fell out with the coach, Matthias Sammer, and was sent to the amatuer team before being loaned out to Betis, Qatar and recently back in Belgian football trying to pick up the pieces of his career while still on an existing contract with Dortmund.
Sunday Oliseh: Had similar problems with Sammer at dortmund before being loaned to Bochum. He was sacked after a fight with a teamate by Bochum and Dortmund followed suit. He is currently fighting the termination of his contract by Dortmund in court.
Emeka Ifejiagwa: Joined Wolfsburg in the middle of the 2000/2001 season and was credited with stabilising the Wolfsburg defence by the end of the season. He picked up an injury and fell out with his coach, Wolfgang Wolf, over the best method of rehabilitation. He was then loaned out to a 2nd division side before being sent to the amatuer team of Wolfsburg. His contract was subsequently cancelled by mutual consent. Still trying to pick up the pieces of his career.
Taribo West: Arrived in Kasierlautern with a big reputation and was sacked within 6 months for attending his Church programme in Milan, a practice that he had been carrying out at Derby County in the EPL.
Sanni Adamu: Nigerian international defender with bundesliga experience at St. Pauli. signed on by Schalke 04 and consigned to their amateur team plying it's trade in the German 4th division.
Victor Agali: Big name signing by Schalke 04 from Hansa Rostock. Refused to sign an extension to his contract which ends at the end of the season mand has since been sent to the amatuer team.
Pascal Ojigwe: Nigerian international midfielder with plenty of bundesliga experience at Kaiserlautern, Cologne and Bayer Leverkeusen. Joined B.Monchengladbach at the beginning of the season, picked up an injury and has since been playing for the amateur team in the 4th division.
Even the mercurial Jayjay Okocha was sacked by Eintracht Frankfurt alongside Ghanaian legend, Tony Yeboah, but later reinstated.
Currently, Olajengbesi has been sent to the Freiburg amatuer team after a less than impressive debut a forthnight ago, where he was pulled out after 35 minutes. I hope this is not the beginning of the end of his career as well.
I do not know the reason why but our players seem to have problems in German football.
I am happy
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Bundesliga, the nemesis of Super Eagles players?

Post by YUJAM »

Dammy:
Nice piece.

Some corrections to your stats tho: Melkam was on the bench 1 week ago, leading me to believe that he is in and out of the game day squad. Don't know why!

Olajengbesi to my knowledge has not started a Bundesliga game and as such was never pulled out after 30 sthg minutes. He has come on as a sub in a few games -- an impressive start for someone who was playing in local league a few months ago. He was not on the bench this past weekend tho!
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

olajengbesi indeed started about 2 wks ago and was subbed in the 30th min. or thereabouts after his club had shipped some goals
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

I don't know why our players aren't trying to play in Spain. I think that league is better suited to their talents than say the german or even the EPL
Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

This is some serious allegations.
Although one would like to think that these are isolated incidents but the fact speakes for themslves.
I hope our players are listening, once beaten twice shy!!
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

Olajengbensi is playing in a club that would made him loose his confidence. His advisors should look for options.
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

Dammy,

In general you are definitely right about the Bundesliga.

However, one note: Akpoborie actually did very well in
the German leagues! His final decline may have had as
much to do with the boat debacle as his age ... his
best years were behind him at that point.

I would also say that it is too early to comment definitively
on Agali in the context of the German league. He has
enjoyed much success over the course of a number of
years. However, this has not been a good year and
club for him.
naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)
Re: Bundesliga, the nemesis of Super Eagles players?

Post by naija4ever »

YUJAM wrote:Dammy:
Nice piece.

Some corrections to your stats tho: Melkam was on the bench 1 week ago, leading me to believe that he is in and out of the game day squad. Don't know why!

Olajengbesi to my knowledge has not started a Bundesliga game and as such was never pulled out after 30 sthg minutes. He has come on as a sub in a few games -- an impressive start for someone who was playing in local league a few months ago. He was not on the bench this past weekend tho!
Yujam, according to here he is injured :http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/stories/? ... tins.php.I hope he recovers fast :?
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
khalela

Post by khalela »

Sounds like a graveyard.
Decky
Egg
Egg

Post by Decky »

Pls, ask all the guys playing in the german 4th division, to move to Qatar and pick up some cool cash. :mrgreen:
What's the difference between school & life?
In school, you are taught a lesson and given a test.
In life, you are given a test that teaches you a lesson.

A genius is made of 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Decky wrote:Pls, ask all the guys playing in the german 4th division, to move to Qatar and pick up some cool cash. :mrgreen:
Why Qatar just for money, let them come back home instead and play for the big club ENYIMBA! At least, they can turn EXPARTRATE in Niaja and get some Dollar salaries like the other Ministers... afteral na for the progress of our soccer... and who know, UNDP can afford to foot their bill for Enyimba. :lol: :lol: :lol: