ONIKAN STADIUM OR WATER FRONT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

omo-eko
Egg
Egg
ONIKAN STADIUM OR WATER FRONT

Post by omo-eko »

DOES ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS TO SHARE ABOUT ONIKAN STADIUM
Gotti
Re: ONIKAN STADIUM OR WATER FRONT

Post by Gotti »

omo-eko wrote:DOES ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS TO SHARE ABOUT ONIKAN STADIUM
It should be bulldozed and that prime piece of waterfront real estate employed for more useful purposes!
omo-eko
Egg
Egg

Post by omo-eko »

WHY DO YOU SAY SO
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
Re: ONIKAN STADIUM OR WATER FRONT

Post by Toxicarrow »

omo-eko wrote:DOES ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS TO SHARE ABOUT ONIKAN STADIUM
Onikan Stadium is also known as Onikan Waterfront. According to the oral narrration, it is nicknamed Onikan Waterfront because of {1] its location and [2} the centre part of the field is always water-logged or swimming pool when it rains. However, there are several myths about Onikan Stadium or Onikan Waterfront, especially with regards to the Challenge Cup and Principal's Cup Finals.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

omo-eko wrote:WHY DO YOU SAY SO
Because there are "two" other (presently underutilized) stadia in Lagos -- the National Stadium (which should be concessioned, privatized or sold to the state govt) and the moribund Teslimi Balogun Stadium. Sticking a football stadium in what used to be the Wall Street of Nigeria (of course, most of the businesses have since fled central Lagos) is rather absurd.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Gotti: What your signature about? I get the triple B but I'm struggling on the double M

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Gotti: What your signature about? I get the triple B but I'm struggling on the double M
I don't get either of them.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

My High school soccer field was bigger than Onikan stadium.....But my favorite memory of that stadium was of how people used to crowd the expressway overpass to warch the games for free and how the cops got wind of it and started charging people "Gate Fee" to watch the game...Kai Naija is wonderful
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

anikulapo wrote:My High school soccer field was bigger than Onikan stadium.....But my favorite memory of that stadium was of how people used to crowd the expressway overpass to warch the games for free and how the cops got wind of it and started charging people "Gate Fee" to watch the game...Kai Naija is wonderful
My experience on the bridge was totally different.I received a big #$% whooping with kokobo from the cops riding horses
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

Onikan holds great memories for me, it was where we finally lifted the Principal Cup. I-C-Y ROCKETS.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Ahhh.Onikan.The great matches-Principals' Cup,LAFA matches,Challenge Cup,National League.The teams-Super Stores"the Flaming Flamingoes" of the legendary playersand their indomitable fans;NEPA"The Electricians";First Bank of the Fatai Amao era;National Bank of the Olukanmi Brothers era,ACB FC of the Chidi Nwanu,Steve Abarowei,Willie Opara,Alloy Agu era;Julius Berger"the Adewale Bridge Boys" of the Peter Niekentien,Mutiu Adepoju,Jimoh "Tyson"Balogun era;and even the Nigerdock FC "The Snake Islanders" of the Gordon Osusu era.
It was pure joy going to the famous stadium.I used to make sure I got to even the mid-week matches,and as many weekend matches as I could get into(it was war getting tickets into the popular side :!: }.The atmosphere was always like a carnival,and very electric.Great soccer,colourful personalities.Just some awesome memories.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
omo-eko
Egg
Egg

Post by omo-eko »

BIG KUDOS TO YOU GUYS FOR BRINGING BACK THE MEMORIES, TO MY DEAR FRIEND OBONG ITATEX I TRUST YOU I KNOW SAY HE DE BODY THE THING WEY MAN DEY TAKE CHOP NA BODY HE DE THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE, BUT SAY MAKE I TELL THEM YOUR NAME FOR ANC 1994 IN TUNIS
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Omoeko, from one Lagosian to another. Here you have it.

Onikan was the mecca of Nigerian soccer. Growing up it was the place to be. For us kids 6/7 year olds our stadium chant was buroda e mu mi wole(Brother take me in with you), and for the most part we were obliged. But then there were trees to be climbed. To do that you have to be at the stadium by 10AM, and be ready to fight the bullies, and out manouver the riot police. Another way we watched games is finding our ways thru' the cracks of the Lagos Island club, or bribe, or become fast friends with gatemen. All these were before the bridge was built.

And then, there were rivalries. Ahmadiya with Azeez Ajala, Olu Okundaye(Olu Shanka), Oviawe and Olowo Oshodi. St. Finbars with Petre Egbiri(Pele), who came from Lagos City College. CMS Bariga had Openiyi. Methodist Boys High School had Muyiwa Oshode, and Latee Makanju(Magnet)The football there was simply fantastic. It was the stadium where players like Emilo John, the Senaya brothers, Tunde Martins, Manuwa and others cut their teeth. It was the stadium were Ogbueze and the East Central State academicals thrashed us in front of the Lagos fans. Anyone remember the phrase, Eko for show?

At the senior level, there was Railways with the Olayombo Brothers, ECN, later NEPA had Rigogo, Tunde Abeki, Igwe, Victor Sessi, Lawrence Omokachie(Taylor) boy can he dribble. They also had Amusa Shittu, Petre Anieke. WAAC had Lati Gomez, and Jerry Azinge the national team captain. Peter Fregene and Sebastain Broderick came to Onikan with Warri Vipers for a challenge cup final and never returned home. In 1966 Stationery Stores was formed and a lot of players jumped ship. Who could forget the 1967 Cup final between Store and Ibadan Lions. Ibadan had Abbey Lancaster, Kundi, Biyi the keeper, and their captain Jide Johnson, while Stores had transplants from Ghana. Baba Alli, Mohammed Lawal, Willie Andrews, Sam Opone, Segun Olumodeji, and keepers like Raimi McGyver and Adoqua Laryea. The football then was serious, played and watched simply for passion and not thugerry.

Onikan had other firsts, too. It was the stadium that killed, I believed Sudan's hope, and send Nigeria to her first ever olympics in Mexico in 1968. It was also to the first to host Pele and Santos in 1970. My memory of that stadium sums up my childhood growing up on the Island. Life was football, and football was life. Its such a shame that such an historic place is allowed to disintegrate. Shameful, indeed.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
omo-eko
Egg
Egg

Post by omo-eko »

WONDEFUL THUNDER GOD BLESS YOU THIS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO SHARE THOSE GREAT MEMORIES WITH YOU ARE MY HERO WHERE EVER YOU ARE PEACE OF GOD THAT PASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING WILL BE WITH YOU WHEN YOU SEE LAGOSIAN YOU WILL KNOW (EKO ONI BAJE) THANK YOU LET US DISCUSS ABOUT RACE COURSE(ODAN) AND ONIKAN SWIMMING POOL THANK ARA WA NIO UNA WEY BE JEJESE FOR FOOTBALL SEY UNA SE HAM PERSON WEY SABI FOOTBALL NA IN DEY TALK SO AUTHORITY
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Thunder Baba,thanks for the brief discourse into History.Eko O gba gbere!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

It's because you didn't pay them... :lol: :D

Ekorian wrote:
anikulapo wrote:My High school soccer field was bigger than Onikan stadium.....But my favorite memory of that stadium was of how people used to crowd the expressway overpass to warch the games for free and how the cops got wind of it and started charging people "Gate Fee" to watch the game...Kai Naija is wonderful
My experience on the bridge was totally different.I received a big #$% whooping with kokobo from the cops riding horses
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Nice one and yes Onikan is truly a historical ground...Wow wonderful memories on your part...

Thunder wrote:Omoeko, from one Lagosian to another. Here you have it.

Onikan was the mecca of Nigerian soccer. Growing up it was the place to be. For us kids 6/7 year olds our stadium chant was buroda e mu mi wole(Brother take me in with you), and for the most part we were obliged. But then there were trees to be climbed. To do that you have to be at the stadium by 10AM, and be ready to fight the bullies, and out manouver the riot police. Another way we watched games is finding our ways thru' the cracks of the Lagos Island club, or bribe, or become fast friends with gatemen. All these were before the bridge was built.

And then, there were rivalries. Ahmadiya with Azeez Ajala, Olu Okundaye(Olu Shanka), Oviawe and Olowo Oshodi. St. Finbars with Petre Egbiri(Pele), who came from Lagos City College. CMS Bariga had Openiyi. Methodist Boys High School had Muyiwa Oshode, and Latee Makanju(Magnet)The football there was simply fantastic. It was the stadium where players like Emilo John, the Senaya brothers, Tunde Martins, Manuwa and others cut their teeth. It was the stadium were Ogbueze and the East Central State academicals thrashed us in front of the Lagos fans. Anyone remember the phrase, Eko for show?

At the senior level, there was Railways with the Olayombo Brothers, ECN, later NEPA had Rigogo, Tunde Abeki, Igwe, Victor Sessi, Lawrence Omokachie(Taylor) boy can he dribble. They also had Amusa Shittu, Petre Anieke. WAAC had Lati Gomez, and Jerry Azinge the national team captain. Peter Fregene and Sebastain Broderick came to Onikan with Warri Vipers for a challenge cup final and never returned home. In 1966 Stationery Stores was formed and a lot of players jumped ship. Who could forget the 1967 Cup final between Store and Ibadan Lions. Ibadan had Abbey Lancaster, Kundi, Biyi the keeper, and their captain Jide Johnson, while Stores had transplants from Ghana. Baba Alli, Mohammed Lawal, Willie Andrews, Sam Opone, Segun Olumodeji, and keepers like Raimi McGyver and Adoqua Laryea. The football then was serious, played and watched simply for passion and not thugerry.

Onikan had other firsts, too. It was the stadium that killed, I believed Sudan's hope, and send Nigeria to her first ever olympics in Mexico in 1968. It was also to the first to host Pele and Santos in 1970. My memory of that stadium sums up my childhood growing up on the Island. Life was football, and football was life. Its such a shame that such an historic place is allowed to disintegrate. Shameful, indeed.
Soldier of Fortune...
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Onikan Stadium or (The Association Ground - Onikan, as it was know in the 40's 50's and 60's) was THE national stadium b/4 Liberty or the current National stadium was built. As well as the many Challenge cup classics it also hosted many Historical matches including the first ever Full International match played by Nigeria. Their opponents were the Gold Coast (now Ghana) and the Nigeria won 5-0. with goals from Peter Anieke, Cyril (2) Titus Okere and Friday Okoh. The Nigerian team included many heroes who went on tour to the uk two years previously including Okere, Dan Anyiam and Hope Lawson, while the Ghanaian team included stars like the great CK Gyamfi and Chris Briandt.

Sadly though I think it was also the ground where Amir Angwe died while playing for BCC Lions in a Cup Winners cup game in 1995. I can never forget the scene on TV showing his eyes slowing closing while he was being carried off the field. Sad and Shocking.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Thunder wrote:Omoeko, from one Lagosian to another. Here you have it.

It was Benin Vipers not Warri Vipers. They later changed the name to Bendel Isurance. Sebastin Brodericks, popularly known as Sabara was in the same team as Victor Oduah.That year they won the cup was 1969.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

I was privileged to play at Onikan stadium once during principals cup. It was a bit of a suprise when you are on the pitch to realize how small it is. But the thing that I remember the most was that it was not a "pitch" of grass - it was just a bowl of red dust for the most part!! At least that time when I played. But still the place reeks of tradition - and other stuff......
omo-eko
Egg
Egg

Post by omo-eko »

SIR V, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT THIS ALL I WAS TRYING TO DO TO BRING BACK THOSE MEMORIES ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

heavyd wrote:Sadly though I think it was also the ground where Amir Angwe died while playing for BCC Lions in a Cup Winners cup game in 1995. I can never forget the scene on TV showing his eyes slowing closing while he was being carried off the field. Sad and Shocking.
I believe Amir Angwe died on the pitch playing for Julius Berger in a league match. BCC Lions never played any continental game at Onikan Waterfront.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/