Gotti's Lawyer: The Sopranos Needs More Murder

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet
Gotti's Lawyer: The Sopranos Needs More Murder

Post by furiously frank »

Slate.com
Mob Experts on The Sopranos, Week 8

Jerry Capeci is author of The Complete angel*'s Guide to the Mafia and Jerry Capeci's Gang Land: Fifteen Years of Covering the Mafia. His weekly column about organized crime, "Gang Land," appears in the New York Sun and at www.ganglandnews.com. Jeffrey Goldberg is a staff writer for The New Yorker. He covered organized crime for New York magazine and the New York Times Magazine. He is at work on a book about the Middle East. Gerald Shargel has represented many high-profile clients, including John Gotti. He is a practitioner in residence at Brooklyn Law School, where he also teaches.

Last year, each new episode of The Sopranos was analyzed by a group of shrinks; this year, each week two mob experts will discuss the lives and squabbles of America's favorite gangsters. Today our experts are joined by Gerald Shargel, an attorney who has represented many high-profile clients, including John Gotti.

Jerry, thanks again for taking time out from your busy schedule as an attorney and law professor to take part in our discussion about this week's episode of The Sopranos; we're glad to have your perspective as a lawyer who often represents organized crime figures.

I thought last night's episode was excellent, but it seemed everyone was out of control. (Perhaps that's the reason it played so well to me.) The various plots and subplots thickened throughout the show, but the main one, in my view, was the complete evolution of Tony "Tony B." Blundetto—Tony Soprano's long-lost cousin whose past gangsterism, we learned, helped Soprano earn the money to build his palatial home—from a rehabilitated (haha) hoodlum back to his criminal roots. When I stopped laughing after watching Blundetto hop away from the double murder that ended last night's episode, there was no getting away from the main theme of Week 8—that is, the lack of order and control. We also learned last night what we suspected a few weeks ago: For all the help Tony B. was to Tony Soprano before he was nailed for hijacking, he's not a made guy.