Arsenal's black beauties winning racism war

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Arsenal's black beauties winning racism war

Post by cic old boy »

From The Times

Arsenal's black beauties winning the racism war

By Martin Samuel

IT WAS a great day for English football on Sunday. Guess who won the Premiership? Niggers. Well, mostly. And not the caricatures Ron Atkinson appalled us with last week. Arsenal’s collective is athletic, creative, intelligent, superior, dashing and beautiful to watch. Hell, they may well be the best band of brothers this country has ever seen.

In the present climate, they have become a very important group, too. The rise of black footballers may not have changed the attitudes of the Bernard Manning generation, but it will be very hard for contemporaries of Sol Campbell, Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry to show disrespect to the races in future.

Arsenal are a white supremacist’s nightmare — their best performances challenge and defeat prejudice at every turn. At football grounds that were once recruiting centres for the National Front, Henry and Vieira pick up a beacon carried through previous decades by Jesse Owens, Tiger Woods and Muhammad Ali. What can a racist make of a team that is majority black and still unbeaten? Ultimately, the success of Arsenal will do more to confront and remove racism than any sterile government initiative or misguided council edict. Not that logic has ever played a great part in bigotry, but it takes a huge leap to consider a human being inferior when he has just put the ball in your net for the third time and is quicker, stronger and brighter, too.

There has been much debate about whether Atkinson is a racist, so let’s clear that one up now. He is. Chris Rock, the comedian, claims that white people know exactly what to say to not appear racist in public and hide the bad stuff until they get home. He cites a familiar protest. “They say, ‘I can’t be racist — I’ve had three black men in my house.’ Listen, if you know the exact number of black people walked through your door, you are a racist.”

Now who does that sound like? Atkinson, a contemporary of Pelé and Eusebio, two men whose presence should have banished racism from football for good, was open-minded enough to play black footballers at West Bromwich Albion and afterwards but not to afford them wider respect beyond his professional life.

Ian Wright, the former Arsenal striker, had the most succinct view of his comments. He likened them to plantation talk, the words of a redneck owner surveying his slaves in the cotton fields. This might give Atkinson’s comments a measured significance that was not intended — he was ranting about Chelsea’s performance generally, after all — but makes the observation no less devastating.

On one hand it is possible to feel sorry for Atkinson, a likeable man in other ways who has not to my knowledge committed a racist act, yet whose life has been altered irrevocably by the use of a racist word. On another, he is unpalatable. His job as a successful manager gave him every opportunity to make a real connection with black society, yet his mind still found room for an expression and a perspective most have rejected.

Black players have been among his defenders this week, including John Barnes. Yet Barnes tolerated the nickname “Digger” while he was at Liverpool, an allegedly playful reference to a character from the TV series, Dallas, that should sit uncomfortably with any sensitive person. Back then, Anfield’s dressing-room was as white as Highbury’s is black and no one gave the epithet a second thought. It is to be hoped football has evolved intellectually.

On some counts, Atkinson had it right. Marcel Desailly’s performance was lazy and unintelligent, but so was Jens Lehmann’s for Arsenal on Sunday, yet the colour of his skin was never an issue. Lehmann is no more the weak link in Arsenal’s title-winning team because he is white or German than Desailly was hopeless in Monaco because he is black or French. While it is a social positive that the best football team in the country contains so many black players, the war against racism can only truly be won when matters such as race and nationality become incidental.

Martin Amis wrote that everybody is to some extent racist or indulges racial prejudice. The aim is to retain less of those instincts than your ancestors. “I am a racist,” he wrote. “I am not as racist as my parents, my children will not be as racist as I am.”

In this way, football will graduate, too. Ron Atkinson was once considered to be an enlightened thinker. Arsène Wenger is the next generation. Could you ever imagine him using the n-word, microphone on or microphone off?
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

An interesting and very relevant article cic old boy.
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Very interesting article....funny how a man that has stood by these black footballers has been called names like bigot, racist etc on this forum just because he refuses to jeopardise his team's success by playing our countryman.

Q
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

the war against racism can only truly be won when matters such as race and nationality become incidental.
Very troodat!!!
Chris Rock, the comedian, claims that white people know exactly what to say to not appear racist in public and hide the bad stuff until they get home. He cites a familiar protest. “They say, ‘I can’t be racist — I’ve had three black men in my house.’ Listen, if you know the exact number of black people walked through your door, you are a racist.
And very high level reasoning here :lol:!
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
xxmanB2003
Egg
Egg

Post by xxmanB2003 »

It is very unforturnate indeeed but call a spade a spade. Lets face it is not the first time he is using racist words. Ian Wright confirmed it, his 1998 book confirmed it and now Desailly. These were the ones in public view. What about the ones that are not in public. With all these as evidence, he is a racist. If not he won't be using racist words when he knows that they are very offensive and derogatory to blacks. So u guys in this forum trying to defend him sgould stop doing so unless u think that racial attack or comment about your colour is not a serious thing. You can not sincerely tell me that all the while u have been living in the white man's land that you have never been a victim of racially motivated comment or attack or even spitting. I cannot believe that at all. :roll: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :lol: 8)
With God everything is possible.
Yettycom
Egg
Egg
Re: Arsenal's black beauties winning racism war

Post by Yettycom »

There has been much debate about whether Atkinson is a racist, so let’s clear that one up now. He is. Chris Rock, the comedian, claims that white people know exactly what to say to not appear racist in public and hide the bad stuff until they get home. He cites a familiar protest. “They say, ‘I can’t be racist — I’ve had three black men in my house.’ Listen, if you know the exact number of black people walked through your door, you are a racist.”
i feel this part......
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Chris Rock, the comedian, claims that white people know exactly what to say to not appear racist in public and hide the bad stuff until they get home. He cites a familiar protest. “They say, ‘I can’t be racist — I’ve had three black men in my house.’ Listen, if you know the exact number of black people walked through your door, you are a racist.”

That was Comedian DL Hughley, NOT Chris Rock. That comment was made on the Kings of Comedy movie, directed by Spike Lee
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

A nice piece my Martim Samuel. Let us face it, Ron has also embarrassed those at ITV and his firends. It shown beyound all reasonable dount that while paying lip service to Kick Racism out of football, they harboured the same racist views at Ron.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Chris Rock, the comedian, claims that white people know exactly what to say to not appear racist in public and hide the bad stuff until they get home. He cites a familiar protest. “They say, ‘I can’t be racist — I’ve had three black men in my house.’ Listen, if you know the exact number of black people walked through your door, you are a racist.”

That was Comedian DL Hughley, NOT Chris Rock. That comment was made on the Kings of Comedy movie, directed by Spike Lee
SO MANY PEOPLE MUST HAVE QUOTED IT AND IT CAN BE CREDITED TO ANY OF THESE GUYS.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

quickie wrote:Very interesting article....funny how a man that has stood by these black footballers has been called names like bigot, racist etc on this forum just because he refuses to jeopardise his team's success by playing our countryman.

Q
Quickie: May God bless you. I have said the same thing a million times on this forum but the ignorant ones could never understand it.....
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

CICOB: Thanks for bringing this piece up...
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
peppersoup
Egg
Egg

Post by peppersoup »

SO MANY PEOPLE MUST HAVE QUOTED IT AND IT CAN BE CREDITED TO ANY OF THESE GUYS.
Oga sir..you hardly see comedians repeating each other in a stand up comedy! Especially the prominent ones. Originality is the name of the business!
"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

I never saw any comment about Ron's statement from any of the traditional defenders of racists on this forum . They have been quiet. This tells me that they will never recognize racism when they see it. As far as they are concerned, someone is only a racist when he physically beats up a black person for no reason.
1. Always a fan of good football

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ola34:
Our resident Uncle Toms are amazing.

Now according to them, I hate England!
ola34 wrote:I never saw any comment about Ron's statement from any of the traditional defenders of racists on this forum . They have been quiet. This tells me that they will never recognize racism when they see it. As far as they are concerned, someone is only a racist when he physically beats up a black person for no reason.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

Not a bad piece at all.

I remember Jimmy Hill and his fellow egg-heads on Sky Sports trying to act all PC about the fact that Arsenal had just destroyed Leeds with a team of ten "black" outfield players. Why they had to bring up the topic in the first place, I don't know- I'd like to hear Chris Rock's thoughts on that :mrgreen:
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Racism has nothing to do with performance, form or achivement. And this is where I think this article falls down! The white race feels it is superior to the Black race becasue they are white and therefore superior. Arsenal can win matches with 9 Black players. They are still N****rs. Owens can win 4 Olympic gold medals, he's still a N***er! Henry can be the best striker in the would but guess what? To the white man he is still a N****r. Ask Tiger what they say to him when he plays. Ask Serena. Ask Boa Morte.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

No you fall flat on ur face trying to explain this one.

Not all white men think that I am a #$%$*. That kind of mentality explains why you take the positions you do and this is very sad!
RudeBoy wrote:Racism has nothing to do with performance, form or achivement. And this is where I think this article falls down! The white race feels it is superior to the Black race becasue they are white and therefore superior. Owens can win 4 Olympic gold medals, he's still a N***er! Henry can be the best striker in the would but guess what? To the white man he is still a N****r. Ask Tiger what they say to him when he plays. Ask Serena. Ask Boa Morte.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Chief Ogbunigwe,

Chris rock DID say that first in his 1995 "Bring the Pain" HBO special!
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

YUJAM wrote:No you fall flat on ur face trying to explain this one.

Not all white men think that I am a #$%$*. That kind of mentality explains why you take the positions you do and this is very sad!
RudeBoy wrote:Racism has nothing to do with performance, form or achivement. And this is where I think this article falls down! The white race feels it is superior to the Black race becasue they are white and therefore superior. Owens can win 4 Olympic gold medals, he's still a N***er! Henry can be the best striker in the would but guess what? To the white man he is still a N****r. Ask Tiger what they say to him when he plays. Ask Serena. Ask Boa Morte.
Hey, Well congratulations to you! Some white people think you are not a #$%$*.
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

More important than what white people think of us is what we think of ourselves.
Imagination is more important than knowledge

- Albert Einstein

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

ROSSIKE wrote:More important than what white people think of us is what we think of ourselves.
Thank you Rossike. :D
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

anikulapo wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Birds of a feather ...........!