What makes Nigeria a "Giant" in Africa.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg
What makes Nigeria a "Giant" in Africa.

Post by Mzekezeke »

I have noticed the phrase Nigeria is an African "Giant" on several occasions here. Admitedly with a population of alledgedly 120 million people this claim is valid. But what else makes Nigeria a giant and how does it compare with other African countries? To be more blunt what sort of infuence does Nigeria have over other African countries?
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

Nothing but population epidemic. OK, are you happy now? OK, now sharrap. :mrgreen:
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

Man dozer,

Nigeria has a venerable military and has been very instrumental in quelling some of the worst military conflicts on the continent

Nigerians have "style" as compared to others notably those from the South

Nigeria has a sattelite in space only the third African nation

A Nigeria gave us our first Nobel Prize winner

. . . and

419 scammers have made the world fear/respect Nigeria. The world now knows that you ignore a Gidian at your peril !
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Avayi wrote:Man dozer,

Nigeria has a venerable military and has been very instrumental in quelling some of the worst military conflicts on the continent

Nigerians have "style" as compared to others notably those from the South

Nigeria has a sattelite in space only the third African nation

A Nigeria gave us our first Nobel Prize winner

. . . and

419 scammers have made the world fear/respect Nigeria. The world now knows that you ignore a Gidian at your peril !
My brothers why the hostile response? I am asking a geniune question.

Which conflicts have been quelled by the Nigerian military? I am aware of their part in Liberia and Sierra Leone. Where else?

How does Nigerians alledgedly having "style" make their country an African giant?

I am surprised about the satellite thing though, could you please provide me with a link with more info?

How does Nigeria having a nobel prize winner make her an "African giant"?
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

Mandoza,

Satellite URL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3130390.stm

The Nobel Prize Winner means that Nigeria is a "Nobel Prize Winning Giant" and a pace setter . . . . . get it now ?
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

We are giants because:

We get most oil
We get more people
We get more fine babes
We get more Universities
We get more ethnic groups
We get more, period!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

RudeBoy wrote:We are giants because:

We get most oil
We get more people
We get more fine babes
We get more Universities
We get more ethnic groups
We get more, period!
Hmmmmm.. who can argue with that logic.
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

MANDOZA,

HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THE SATELLITE URL YET ?
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Avayi wrote:Mandoza,

Satellite URL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3130390.stm

The Nobel Prize Winner means that Nigeria is a "Nobel Prize Winning Giant" and a pace setter . . . . . get it now ?
We have a nobel prize winner as well so? This is just some Western award that could also be won by someone from the Togo republic or some other non-descript country.

Thanks for the link by the way.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Avayi wrote:MANDOZA,

HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THE SATELLITE URL YET ?
Yes I have, it would appear a lot of your countrymen feel this is a waste of money. What are your views on it?
Thought
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

Mandoza,

The population is perhaps the biggest factor in calling Nigeria the African giant. With its pathetic economy, it still generates more than most other african countries. Nigerians are found almost anywhere you go, and from personal experience about 3 out of every 5 black people you see in traditionally non-black places are Nigerians.

Now put this and, the other mentioned and unmentioned factors, into perspective. If Nigeria were to only progress as a transparent democracy (a process that has already begun even though it doesnt look so pretty currently), the title of THE African Giant will be unquestioned.

And yes, I have an inflated perception of Nigeria. What can I say, the facts lend credence to that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
Real Madrid - The Greatest Club on Earth!
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

By the way I notice this satelleite of "yours" is an old refurbished Russian Satellite.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Thought wrote:Mandoza,

The population is perhaps the biggest factor in calling Nigeria the African giant. With its pathetic economy, it still generates more than most other african countries. Nigerians are found almost anywhere you go, and from personal experience about 3 out of every 5 black people you see in traditionally non-black places are Nigerians.

Now put this and, the other mentioned and unmentioned factors, into perspective. If Nigeria were to only progress as a transparent democracy (a process that has already begun even though it doesnt look so pretty currently), the title of THE African Giant will be unquestioned.

And yes, I have an inflated perception of Nigeria. What can I say, the facts lend credence to that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
You make some interesting points Thought.

Just out of interest approximately how many Nigerians reside outside Nigeria?
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

I personally think it is a VERY GOOD INVESTMENT.

Many European commentators and some short-sighted Nigerian think otherwise.

For the Europeans they are against it solely because of jealousy. Notice how when China sent a rocket into orbit they said China had loads of poverty stricken citizenry ! Are there no poor people in America as well ?

For the "against" Nigerians, they just don't have a clue, period.

What people don't realise is that a satellite will help Nigeria in better utilising her agricultural resources which will in turn help to feed the populace. It will also help in mineral prospecting. It will also help in weather forecasting. It will help in monitoring disasters such as floods and bush fires. According to the current plans the satellite will eventually be utilised in communications. I could go on and on.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Avayi wrote:I personally think it is a VERY GOOD INVESTMENT.

Many European commentators and some short-sighted Nigerian think otherwise.

For the Europeans they are against it solely because of jealousy. Notice how when China sent a rocket into orbit they said China had loads of poverty stricken citizenry ! Are there no poor people in America as well ?

For the "against" Nigerians, they just don't have a clue, period.

What people don't realise is that a satellite will help Nigeria in better utilising her agricultural resources which will in turn help to feed the populace. It will also help in mineral prospecting. It will also help in weather forecasting. It will help in monitoring disasters such as floods and bush fires. According to the current plans the satellite will eventually be utilised in communications. I could go on and on.
Avayi I don't doubt these benefits but why not just use the Satellites already in orbit which get this information quicker and at a much lower cost?
Thought
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

Mandoza wrote:You make some interesting points Thought.

I cant pull any ballpark figure but definitely millions. While some of the accessible indicators of how much nigerians are in the diaspora isnt something to be proud of, it does give a sense of how much Nigerians are around. If you go to Singapore, dont just say you are a Nigerian. trust me. There is a healthy number of Nigerians resident as guests of various correctional facilities around the world, most notably in the SE Asian region.

The Afghan opium trade has a good Nigerian representation; the journey to Europe accross the Sahara has lots of enterprising Nigerians - both as the travellers and as facilitators.

You know how it is, bad things generally make more noise than the good things. But there are quite a number of Nigerians doing some positive things around the world: The NBA, NFL, NCAA, Academics, etc...
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

Mandoza,

The satellite was a newly manufactured in England with the help of Nigerian technicians. It was only put into orbit by the Russians.

http://www.sstl.co.uk/index.php?loc=5

Just as an aside:

I have never known satellites to be brought back to earth and refurbished ! I thought they stay up in orbit and eventually decend to a lower orbit and burn-out OR they get pushed to a higher orbit called a "parking-orbit" !
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

I actually admire this adventureous streak all Nigerians seem to have. You are not scared to try anything or go anywhere and I do not doubt that Nigeria is all the better for this.
Thought wrote:
Mandoza wrote:You make some interesting points Thought.

I cant pull any ballpark figure but definitely millions. While some of the accessible indicators of how much nigerians are in the diaspora isnt something to be proud of, it does give a sense of how much Nigerians are around. If you go to Singapore, dont just say you are a Nigerian. trust me. There is a healthy number of Nigerians resident as guests of various correctional facilities around the world, most notably in the SE Asian region.

The Afghan opium trade has a good Nigerian representation; the journey to Europe accross the Sahara has lots of enterprising Nigerians - both as the travellers and as facilitators.

You know how it is, bad things generally make more noise than the good things. But there are quite a number of Nigerians doing some positive things around the world: The NBA, NFL, NCAA, Academics, etc...
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

The satellite was a newly manufactured in England with the help of Nigerian technicians. It was only put into orbit by the Russians.

http://www.sstl.co.uk/index.php?loc=5

Just as an aside:

I have never known satellites to be brought back to earth and refurbished ! I thought they stay up in orbit and eventually decend to a lower orbit and burn-out OR they get pushed to a higher orbit called a "parking-orbit" !
Okay my bad I had read on that link you provided me with that it had been refurshibed.

The page coming up from that sstl link you provided is blank.
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

Mandoza,

Satellites have something called their "footprints" i.e the area which they cover on Earth. A lot of the existing Sats don't have large footprints in Africa. That is why Nigeria (or even Africa as a whole) need our own dedicated Sats.
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

Mandoza,

The SSTL page is NOT COMPLETELY blank.

Searchfully for the "NigeriaSat1" link and go on from there . . . . Explore my man, Explore !
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Satellites have something called their "footprints" i.e the area which they cover on Earth. A lot of the existing Sats don't have large footprints in Africa. That is why Nigeria (or even Africa as a whole) need our own dedicated Sats.
I certainly can't argue with that. I await the day we can launch African satellites from African soil.
Thought
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

Mandoza wrote:I actually admire this adventureous streak all Nigerians seem to have. You are not scared to try anything or go anywhere and I do not doubt that Nigeria is all the better for this.
Especially if channeled into more constructive pursuits instead of fast cash/ little self effort endeavours. Nice to see you're admiration of Nigerians. I suppose that could further cement the notion that Nigeria is THE African giant. One more thing, take a look at forum.cybereagles.com , the traffic it generates, and even better, www.naijaryders.com , and you'd see further reasons why Nigeria bears that title. These sites are possibly the biggest African forums on the web.

Now do you see why Nigeria is considered THE giant?