Private Satdium for Naija Club next year

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Private Satdium for Naija Club next year

Post by Guest »

Union Bank builds own stadium next year
By Christian Okpara
WORK has reached an advanced stage at the Union Bank Sports Complex, Surulere, Lagos, where the bank is constructing its sports stadium.

The stadium, which sources close to the management of the bank said would be partially ready by next year, is expected to have a main bowl, where football and hockey matches would be played, and other facilities for both indoor and outdoor games.

When The Guardian visited the complex last Monday, it was noticed that the multi-purpose hall of the complex had been demolished to make way for the facilities intended for the stadium.

An official of the bank at the site said that the management of the bank intended turning the playing ground into a modern stadium, with the dressing room built underground, while the spectators' stand would be elevated above the playing pitch.

"The dressing room, medical room and offices for officials would be built underground, while the fans' stand will be hung above the field.

"Apart from that, the bank is planning to lay an artificial turf of international standard for both hockey and football as is obtainable in other parts of the world," he said.

Asked if the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) would approve the use of artificial turf for league matches, the source, who is a top ranking officer of the bank, said the turf would help in promoting the game in the country, adding that North African countries had used the same facility to their advantage in matches against Nigeria.

"The artificial turf would help Nigeria to counter the advantage North African countries have over us, as our teams will train on it when the need arises.

"We are building the underground basement to maximise space as is done in other countries," the official said, adding that work on the complex was in three phases.

The first phase of the structure, which is the largest, he said, comprised landscaping and drainage, administrative block, tennis court, squash court, gymnasium, swimming pool, conference hall, bar and lounge, and would end this year.

The second phase comprising artificial turf and other facilities would start early next year and end probably before the end of the same year, the official said.

"The third phase would comprise the basketball court, and other indoor games facilities and is expected to end the programme in five years time.

"So, before the end of next year, Union Bank hockey and football teams would be playing their home matches here in Surulere," the official disclosed.
xxmanB2003
Egg
Egg

Post by xxmanB2003 »

It is a step in the right direction. It is high time that naija teams start to have their own stadium especially the bigger clubs. I hope that other clubs would begin to look into ways to have their own stadiums. :roll: :lol: :roll:
With God everything is possible.

Post by Guest »

Its a good idea but it won't bring in money since people don't throng to stadia to watch local matches anymore. How many people will be willing to pay gate fee? The only they can make some money is by renting the ground to all those churches that always have some stupid miracle service will need the size of a stadium to accomodate their customers.
Unisol
Egg
Egg

Post by Unisol »

baba no regrets wrote:Its a good idea but it won't bring in money since people don't throng to stadia to watch local matches anymore. How many people will be willing to pay gate fee? The only they can make some money is by renting the ground to all those churches that always have some stupid miracle service will need the size of a stadium to accomodate their customers.
I dont think union bank would need the little extra income that would be generated in this manner, i mean we are talking of one of the largest banks in Africa
Go Super Eagles - We taught the world to play Soccer.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

If its at the location I think it is, that may worsen the already horrible traffic in that area hundredfold.

If only the NFA can just sit down and repackage the league - security, stadia, players, pitches, camera/TV coverage, marketing et al, things could be a lot better.

I wish they could get hold of one of the brains behind the EPL as a consultant and have them redesign the league. Just like what the South Africans did.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

Is this location the one at the Bode Thomas/Eric Moore intersection? Behind the NYSC Secreterait? If so, I thionk it's a waste of money. They should use or upgrade UAC...
Bell

Post by Bell »

ECHOING SOME OF THEYEMSTERS THOUGHTS...

...a private stadium is long overdue but it should have been part of the reformation of the league. Individual parties should not navigate their own paths like this.

As for getting an EPL consultant, that sounds like the usual we-can't-do-anything-unless-Europeans-come-to-help crap. The English league works very well and there are definitely things Nigeria can learn from them. But intelligent Nigerians can by themselves structure a good league. Heck, how often have I laid my bluepring on this site? The vaunted "consultant" who hardly understands Nigeria would do nothing but try to shape Nigeria to look like England.

Artificial turf: isn't that against FIFA's regualtion?
Bell
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

okuns wrote:Is this location the one at the Bode Thomas/Eric Moore intersection? Behind the NYSC Secreterait? If so, I thionk it's a waste of money. They should use or upgrade UAC...
Yes indeed. The location is on Bode Thomas. The traffic there is killer and a stadium does no good to the residents of that area.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

I remember that ground, we use to tap soccer there back in the days. We would tap like 30 minutes, then the guard would appear and chase us and we return later tap enough 30 minutes, the guard would chase again.

Sometimes we would buy the guard gala and coke and he would allow us to tap without any hassle. :)

Those were the days, and then the field used to be lush, green and well kept
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."