KESHI FIRST GAME FOR SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

omo-eko
Egg
Egg
KESHI FIRST GAME FOR SE

Post by omo-eko »

WHERE WAS KESHI FIRST GAME FOR SUPER EAGLES
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Keshi's international debut was July 18 1981 against Upper Volta
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
azuka

Post by azuka »

Omo-eko,
you wan start katakata with this question. Can't really say the exact year. But Keshi came to national prominence in 1979 alongside Franklin Horward in the central defence of the Flying Eagles team that finally lost to Cameroun (?) in the junior world cup qualifier. Franklin Horward immediately debuted for the GE immediately after with Keshi followin suit. I will say Keshi first game for the Green Eagles should be in 1979. BTW, what year was that friendly match against Norway/Iceland was played. I believe Keshi debuted for the Eagles around that period if not in that particular match.
The match was notorious because of the snow when the match was played.
KIZONZO
Egg
Egg

Post by KIZONZO »

Azuka you be old man o.
You never realize what you have till you lose it.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

azuka wrote:Omo-eko,
you wan start katakata with this question. Can't really say the exact year. But Keshi came to national prominence in 1979 alongside Franklin Horward in the central defence of the Flying Eagles team that finally lost to Cameroun (?) in the junior world cup qualifier. Franklin Horward immediately debuted for the GE immediately after with Keshi followin suit. I will say Keshi first game for the Green Eagles should be in 1979. BTW, what year was that friendly match against Norway/Iceland was played. I believe Keshi debuted for the Eagles around that period if not in that particular match.
The match was notorious because of the snow when the match was played.
Azuka, we are talking of Super Eagles.

Which cousin of yours played for Raccah Rovers? I have been trying to remember the full squad of 1977-81. Raccah was my team.

The line up I can remember;

Haruna Wahab
Walter Osai
Huseini Alabi (capt)
Idri Mohamed
Talaha Mohammed
Shefiu Mohammed
Anas Ahmed
Baba #$% Mohammed
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
azuka

Post by azuka »

If you are talking about Super Eagles, then it was in 1990, against Togo. Hey before you guys crucify me, Green Eagles became Super Eagles after the 1990 Nations Cup in Algiers, via a fiat of Augustus Aikhomu.

I went into that long historical journey to allow us trace back when Keshi first played for the Green Eagles which later metamorphosed into Super Eagles in 1990.

I believe Keshi's first match for the Green Eagles as it was then called was the away match to Norway or Iceland (can't remember which of these two) in 1979 December or January 1980. He finally did not make the team to ANC 1980 though.
Which cousin of yours played for Raccah Rovers? I have been trying to remember the full squad of 1977-81. Raccah was my team
Your team list for Raccah Rovers of that period is incomplete. This guy i am talking about later went on to play for Bendel Insurance, Flash Flamengoes, Iwuanyanwu Nationale and Leventis United. Note, these teams are not listed in any particular order.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

My broda, Keshi debut was July 1981.
azuka

Post by azuka »

No it was not Sir V. Hopefully Enugu II will come on and clarify this. Keshi debuted for the SE long before that period. In 1979 or early 1980 just before the African Nations Cup. I am sure he was in camp before the 1980 Nations Cup that we won. And he played in some friendly matches of that period, most especially that match played in snow-country.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Keshi left Finbars college in 1979, I remember when they came to Benin to play Edo college, Benin.

Franklin Harword's debut was against TaNzania in December 1980. Christopher Nwokocha scored in that Match.
omo-eko
Egg
Egg

Post by omo-eko »

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS KESHI FIRST GAME WAS IN ALGERIA 1981 WORLD CUP QUALIFYING SERIES IN CONSTATINE HE CAME IN TO REPLACE CHAIRMAN CHUKWU
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Azuka,

Nooo the Green Eagles became Super Eagles after Maroc'88. I remember quite well when Aikhomu hosted the team and they were called gallant losers. It wasn't after Algiers'90.

azuka wrote:

If you are talking about Super Eagles, then it was in 1990, against Togo. Hey before you guys crucify me, Green Eagles became Super Eagles after the 1990 Nations Cup in Algiers, via a fiat of Augustus Aikhomu.

I went into that long historical journey to allow us trace back when Keshi first played for the Green Eagles which later metamorphosed into Super Eagles in 1990.

I believe Keshi's first match for the Green Eagles as it was then called was the away match to Norway or Iceland (can't remember which of these two) in 1979 December or January 1980. He finally did not make the team to ANC 1980 though.
Which cousin of yours played for Raccah Rovers? I have been trying to remember the full squad of 1977-81. Raccah was my team
Your team list for Raccah Rovers of that period is incomplete. This guy i am talking about later went on to play for Bendel Insurance, Flash Flamengoes, Iwuanyanwu Nationale and Leventis United. Note, these teams are not listed in any particular order.
Soldier of Fortune...
omo-eko
Egg
Egg

Post by omo-eko »

AZUKA ,YOU GOT THIS WRONG NO ONE IS CRUCIFYING YOU LIKE YOU SAID IN YOUR PREVIOUS REPOND TO ME YOU SHOULD ACCEPT THIS IN GOOD FAITH SOMETIMES OUR MEMORIES FAILED US NO ONE IS PERFECT PERFECTIONS BELONGS TO ALMIGHTY GOD ON THIS MATTER THE GREAT IFE HAS FAILED, YOU THINK SAY I NO SABI WHO YOU BE NA ME AND YOU THEY GO CHOP AMALA AT ELEYELE AND MOKOLA
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

omo-eko wrote:THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS KESHI FIRST GAME WAS IN ALGERIA 1981 WORLD CUP QUALIFYING SERIES IN CONSTATINE HE CAME IN TO REPLACE CHAIRMAN CHUKWU
Omo eko,

No, it was July 1981 against Upper Volta.
omo-eko
Egg
Egg

Post by omo-eko »

SIR V ON THIS ISSUE I BEG TO DISAGREE WITH YOU I WATCH THIS GAME LIVE 1981 IN CONSTATINE WE LEFT NIGERIA AND CAME BACK WITH THE TEAM WE CAN CALLED KESHI TO CLARIFIED THIS ISSUE HE IS HERE IN US
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

omo-eko wrote:SIR V ON THIS ISSUE I BEG TO DISAGREE WITH YOU I WATCH THIS GAME LIVE 1981 IN CONSTATINE WE LEFT NIGERIA AND CAME BACK WITH THE TEAM WE CAN CALLED KESHI TO CLARIFIED THIS ISSUE HE IS HERE IN US
I leave in London, You can call Keshi to verify.
azuka

Post by azuka »

AZUKA ,YOU GOT THIS WRONG NO ONE IS CRUCIFYING YOU LIKE YOU SAID IN YOUR PREVIOUS REPOND TO ME YOU SHOULD ACCEPT THIS IN GOOD FAITH SOMETIMES OUR MEMORIES FAILED US NO ONE IS PERFECT PERFECTIONS BELONGS TO ALMIGHTY GOD ON THIS MATTER THE GREAT IFE HAS FAILED, YOU THINK SAY I NO SABI WHO YOU BE NA ME AND YOU THEY GO CHOP AMALA AT ELEYELE AND MOKOLA
Thank goodness, you understand we are all in this for the fun of it. But then, i no sabi you. maybe? well, those were good amalas for those days.
But honestly, you are guys are wrong. I still insist that Keshi's debut was far before that. I still remember that match in Iceland/Norway as Keshi's debut match. It was one of those friendly tours undertaken by the Green Eagles as a prelude to the ANC in 1980. Unless you guys are telling me that friendly matches do not count here.

M15
Nooo the Green Eagles became Super Eagles after Maroc'88. I remember quite well when Aikhomu hosted the team and they were called gallant losers. It wasn't after Algiers'90
scratch your brain and you will realise it was in 1990. The name came about from the way the qualified for the final after losing 5-1 in the very first match.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Azuka,

We did play Norway and Iceland, and that was in August 1981. Eagles drew the match against Norway 2-2 and lost to iceland 3-0. Keshi was with that sqaud but he had already played his first International match in July that year.
azuka

Post by azuka »

We did play Norway and Iceland, and that was in August 1981. Eagles drew the match against Norway 2-2 and lost to iceland 3-0. Keshi was with that sqaud but he had already played his first International match in July that year
Sir V, now you are coming around. If i may ask, is it winter in Norway/Iceland in August. I dont think so. The reason i ask is because the Green Eagles then attributed their loss to the snowy weather in Iceland. And i know these matches were friendly matches palyed preparatory to the 1980 African nations Cup. Good that you admit Keshi was in that squad. But i say it to you that he actually played in one of those matches. Which i can not remember now. Cross check these facts.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Dont forget that Iceland has two months of summer, so in August those areas are cold.

Those matches were friendly matches to prepare the boys for the World cup qualifier match against Algeria in Algeria and the 1982 ANC NOT 1980.
azuka

Post by azuka »

well, Sir V, i rest my case. Omo-eko, next brain teaser please???? Or has your fountain dried? May it never dry ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Stephen Keshi's first game occurred in 1981 against the then Uper Volta (now Burkina Faso) in a dull friendly game in Lagos that Nigeria won 1-0 using a predominantly new squad.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Enugu II wrote:Stephen Keshi's first game occurred in 1981 against the then Uper Volta (now Burkina Faso) in a dull friendly game in Lagos that Nigeria won 1-0 using a predominantly new squad.
thanks
anywork
Egg
Egg

Post by anywork »

azuka wrote:
scratch your brain and you will realise it was in 1990. The name came about from the way the qualified for the final after losing 5-1 in the very first match.
No sir. MI5 is correct. I remember Punch had a picture of Rufai shaking a dignitary's hand in the article about the name change. If you remember, Rufai was in the 88 squad, not the 90 (Alloy Agwu).

Also, Hoerner was the coach when it happened, meaning it HAD to be 1988.