Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why cant Nigeria have a National lottery to fund sports

Post by Mr. Piffington »

marko wrote:
soothsayer wrote:i have not given up on the this...the Lottery idea may not work but we can still find other means of raising funds.
keep the ideas coming...

to be honest there is no cutting corners when it comes to sports, its all about long term investments!!! the same ideas that jamaica uses to produce record breaking athletes, Nigeria should use this as well, funny enough like i pointed out, their program is not even rocket science, i wish i had a link to the usain bolt documentary i watched in sweden 2 weeks ago, simplicity, nothing out of the ordinary, but then Bolt had been racing since he was 15!! so it seems the long term investment have started to pay off, believe there is no other way, jamaica is even a poorer country than Nigeria so there are no excuses whatsoever!
I keep trying to tell them that unless some kind of sport institute is built everything else is going to be a waste of time IMHO.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
marko wrote:
soothsayer wrote:i have not given up on the this...the Lottery idea may not work but we can still find other means of raising funds.
keep the ideas coming...

to be honest there is no cutting corners when it comes to sports, its all about long term investments!!! the same ideas that jamaica uses to produce record breaking athletes, Nigeria should use this as well, funny enough like i pointed out, their program is not even rocket science, i wish i had a link to the usain bolt documentary i watched in sweden 2 weeks ago, simplicity, nothing out of the ordinary, but then Bolt had been racing since he was 15!! so it seems the long term investment have started to pay off, believe there is no other way, jamaica is even a poorer country than Nigeria so there are no excuses whatsoever!
I keep trying to tell them that unless some kind of sport institute is built everything else is going to be a waste of time IMHO.
But we have a National Institute for Sports (Nisports)?
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Guv007 wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
marko wrote:
keep the ideas coming...

Then it needs to be improved.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

simplicity is the key, funny enough might not involve too much money, for one, Nigeria has favourable climate, so its athletes dont need to travel to warm places, all they need is the right training, facilities, incentives, there are hundreds of stadiums littered around Nigeria with standard tracks so practically the basic facility is already in place, Abuja stadium is supposed to be world class?? Nigeria hosted the all African games in 2003 or so, so they do have some infrastructure for most olympic sports from swimming, track and field, boxing, tennis, badminton,marathon, wrestling, hockey, volley ball, the government needs to be openly honest and provide the means and expenditure needed so that its athletes dont become distracted, its definitely a gradual process, then there has talent spotting, inter-house sports, university games, you will surely find top talent, there is no cutting corners or Nigeria will simply continue to disgrace itself at the olympics
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

marko wrote: the government needs to be openly honest and provide the means and expenditure needed so that its athletes dont become distracted,
The odds of that happening are staggering. The new Mars Rover will be attacked by John Carter before that happens.

Let me be blunt, brothers. Unless we are ALL willing to spend 8 to 12 years, our finances, and risk our lives to change the political system, we need to forget ANY solution that starts with "government needs to". The Nigerian government at all three tiers, in all three branches, is almost useless. The solutions will come from strong private sector.

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

Riversboy wrote:
marko wrote: the government needs to be openly honest and provide the means and expenditure needed so that its athletes dont become distracted,
The odds of that happening are staggering. The new Mars Rover will be attacked by John Carter before that happens.

Let me be blunt, brothers. Unless we are ALL willing to spend 8 to 12 years, our finances, and risk our lives to change the political system, we need to forget ANY solution that starts with "government needs to". The Nigerian government at all three tiers, in all three branches, is almost useless. The solutions will come from strong private sector.

RB.
kpom, I will say no more except, its time we find a unique solution to our problems and
stop looking to countries who have totally different history and culture... you can't
fit a square peg into a round hole.. Time to think outside of the box.
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Guv007 wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
marko wrote:
keep the ideas coming...

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/generaltopics/?p=43727

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/genera ... /?p=121676
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

soothsayer wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Guv007 wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
marko wrote:
keep the ideas coming...

Part of the problem is funding. Still waiting for when the so called lovers of sports will spend money on sports like in times of old. All those fighting for positions should start by spendingbfor the sports instead thinking about how they will milk the sport dry.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

wanaj0 wrote:
soothsayer wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Guv007 wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
marko wrote:
keep the ideas coming...

Part of the problem is funding. Still waiting for when the so called lovers of sports will spend money on sports like in times of old. All those fighting for positions should start by spendingbfor the sports instead thinking about how they will milk the sport dry.
times of old?????
please give examples.... of people who used private funds to sponsor sports.
I hope you are not talking about government.
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

wanaj0 wrote:
soothsayer wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Guv007 wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
marko wrote:
keep the ideas coming...

times of old?????
please give examples.... of people who used private funds to sponsor sports.
I hope you are not talking about government or politicians.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

even the private sector can only do as much, there has to be active government participation in the whole process, i will always use jamaica as a case study because what do they have that Nigeria has not?? even if the government shows good intentions to fund a 20 year program, some individual will probably loot all the funds as usual and when caught, will blame the devil as usual, the country is too big, needs to be fragmented into a thousand pieces!!!

Nigeria is all about politics, oil and looting, everything else has to take a back seat!!!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Good suggestion but when your house is built on quick sand, no way the house will have a strong foundation, and will collapse. The problems starts from the top.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

http://www.lotteryfunding.org.uk/uk/lot ... -sport.htm

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/talent

this is what it takes... obviously there will be failures a country will find that they are more talented
at one sport than the other, or they realize but if Jamaica can get it right why can't we..

good article about Jamaica

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ction.html
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

very well... you might be right about government support but does that mean we abandon all hope.
Because without hope all is doomed. Should we give up on the country... because truth is you are
not going to get change in government until you get change in peoples mentality in general.
You are never going to change attitudes form the top-down... it can only be done from bottom up.
and that requires work of ordinary Nigerians, multiple individuals with ambition and goals... willing
to try something different.
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

To some of you on this thread....

"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Soothsayer, Google Asoju Oba table tennis, Google Lord Rumens Classic. Do you know anything about YSFON and how it wad funded? We killed YSFON after the 1985 victory when people saw the money to be made. Prior to that time, YSFON was spending money on various teams sending them to tournaments etc.

Will not mention Abiola but check what Abidoye did for boxing. Can't remember the name of the Mobil man with athletics again.

Now we have people that claim to love the sport but are only interested in how much they can make from the sport.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Player wrote:To some of you on this thread....

Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

ohenhen1 wrote:Good suggestion but when your house is built on quick sand, no way the house will have a strong foundation, and will collapse. The problems starts from the top.
Quicksand and foundation are both at the bottom, not the top :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Riversboy wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Good suggestion but when your house is built on quick sand, no way the house will have a strong foundation, and will collapse. The problems starts from the top.
Quicksand and foundation are both at the bottom, not the top :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RB.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Ohenhen has been consistently yarning opaks since 2002... :thumbs:
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

even if Nigeria decides to study the jamaican model to see why their athletes are world class, they will probably inaugurate a 15 man committee with a huge budget of over 300 million naira to go on a fact finding tour of jamaica, chances are these members will start bagging chieftancy titles round the length and breath of Nigeria with their new found status and income, they might make occasional trips to London, Brixton claiming thats where all the jamaicans are based in the UK, after they finish the funds, it will just be time for another olympics, then typically the EFCC will move in after allegation of members diverting the funds to build property round Nigeria!

Marko
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

After the Olympics, all these talks will die down and it will be business as usual until the next Olympics in Rio and this same talk will resurface as nothing is being done.
Nigeria and Nigerians are not serious...this is all a waste of time.
While a couple of people will be making efforts, others will be plotting ways to steal the funds and sabotage all efforts...I wash my hands from anything Nigeria abeg. :oops:
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

soothsayer wrote:
Cristao II wrote:Another avenue for chopping money!
So cristao if we hand the management of the finances to you it won't happen right???

Tell me you are part of the solution... :D
If you give it to me. I wont chop money. However you cant do this thing as an island. Govt will get involved and that is where the problem starts. Nigerian govt is a huge problem. Never seen such a huge blocker to sensible development before.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

marko wrote:even if Nigeria decides to study the jamaican model to see why their athletes are world class, they will probably inaugurate a 15 man committee with a huge budget of over 300 million naira to go on a fact finding tour of jamaica, chances are these members will start bagging chieftancy titles round the length and breath of Nigeria with their new found status and income, they might make occasional trips to London, Brixton claiming thats where all the jamaicans are based in the UK, after they finish the funds, it will just be time for another olympics, then typically the EFCC will move in after allegation of members diverting the funds to build property round Nigeria!
...After which they will be forced to return about 25% of what they stole and given a few months in prison.