These Olympics might turn out to be bad investment for GB

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
These Olympics might turn out to be bad investment for GB

Post by Comrade Machel »

These games might turn out to be a disaster for GB in terms of returns via medals

They thought they had won silver in gymnastics but Japan appealed and GB was demoted to bronze :) Even that girl with the horse face Addlington the swimmer who they hoped would win gold, bronze is best she could manage :lol: That swimmer Daley or whatever his surname, they were gushing about his good looks. Well the judges didnt care much for his looks, no medal ;)

So far they are number 17 in medals table :)
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: These Olympics might turn out to be bad investment for G

Post by realtrouble »

How many medals has African countries won?
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

realtrouble wrote:How many medals has African countries won?

South Africa has certainly done better than GB thus far, they have 1 gold, GB = 0 :D

Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:These games might turn out to be a disaster for GB in terms of returns via medals

They thought they had won silver in gymnastics but Japan appealed and GB was demoted to bronze :) Even that girl with the horse face Addlington the swimmer who they hoped would win gold, bronze is best she could manage :lol: That swimmer Daley or whatever his surname, they were gushing about his good looks. Well the judges didnt care much for his looks, no medal ;)

What about our Oyibo flag bearer- the best swimmer Africa has ever seen who has won all competitions on the continent. How is he doing?
His name is Danforth or something.
I never LOSE, I either WIN or LEARN. – Nelson Mandela
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:These games might turn out to be a disaster for GB in terms of returns via medals

I agree that Britain will certainly not match the medal tally they had in China, I think they were being overly optimistic and it was clear that Addlington was lucky to win the Gold in the last Olympic, but quite a lot of olympic Gold medalists have succeeded through a little bit of luck on their side.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

word out is police don loss keys to wemberlie :laugh:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

soothsayer wrote:

I agree that Britain will certainly not match the medal tally they had in China, I think they were being overly optimistic and it was clear that Addlington was lucky to win the Gold in the last Olympic, but quite a lot of olympic Gold medalists have succeeded through a little bit of luck on their side.
She beat her time in china and go t bronze how was she lucky to win in china
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

I doubt GB spent all this money just to win a gold medal.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

soothsayer wrote:

She beat her time in china and go t bronze how was she lucky to win in china
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Its still early.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Might ke? So far day three with three medals it is costing us about 500 million pounds per medal :-)
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
LEFTIE
Egg
Egg

Post by LEFTIE »

AreaDaddy wrote:Might ke? So far day three with three medals it is costing us about 500 million pounds per medal :-)
Yeah but according to a former London mayoral candidate that equates to the cost of a walnut whip for each of us. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

juventuss wrote:I doubt GB spent all this money just to win a gold medal.

Eh if you lived in the UK you would have seen them trumpeting how this is a home games and with the support they will do better than Beijing and what not. Not saying its the reason but the public will be expecting them to overhaul the achievements of 4 years ago

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

The Uk invested in the olympics to bring in more tourist after the games, thats the main catch, am sure they are quite aware that team Uk might do really bad, hardly world beaters, maybe when the track and field starts, they might win a few medals, traditionally the Chinese, US, Russia are very good
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

A report came out yesterday that trade in London's West End has fallen by 70% because people have been scared off by stories of how bad and congested London was going to be during the Olympics.

People not connected with the Olympics have stayed away in their thousands and people coming for the Olympics are only spending money in WestField shopping Centre :-) so the effect in other parts of London is bad.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

well the prices for hotels went up over 200%, maybe they anticipated millions of tourists pouring into the capital, I think the hotels are been greedy if you ask me, they could have kept the same prices and maybe they would have attracted thousands of tourists, remember the world is still in the middle of an economic recession, the Uk is in the middle of a holiday season so typically many UK families will take their kids outside for vacations, i decided to stay away because i cant stand all that congestion, il go to london once the olympics are over, maybe prices will fall
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Some companies have struck gold from the transfer of about £11bn of public money into their pockets.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

cic old boy wrote:
Some companies have struck gold from the transfer of about £11bn of public money into their pockets.
They are not even spreading the thing.....privatise the profits and nationalise the debts :mad: :mad: :mad: The amount black companies made from this olympics is negligible, they didnt even want to accreditate The Voice newspaper.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

well I know stratford and surrounds got a massive development boost from the olympics, so while great britain as a whole might not have
benefitted .. the people of stratford and east london have.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

soothsayer wrote:well I know stratford and surrounds got a massive development boost from the olympics, so while great britain as a whole might not have
:lol: :lol: Don't believe the hype!

Graffiti in Hackney Wick

Local businesses react:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... trade.html

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/2 ... 9N20120726
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

British crony capitalism at work: Olympic Village built with public money @ £1.1bn, sold to Qatari property developers for £557m! Kerching!! :thumbs: I'm sure an investigation of the property developers will reveal their links with the likes of Seb Co and politicos.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Prince wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
They are not even spreading the thing.....privatise the profits and nationalise the debts :mad: :mad: :mad: The amount black companies made from this olympics is negligible, they didnt even want to accreditate The Voice newspaper.

yep heard about this as well, find it rather disgusting, think they changed their mind once the voice raised their voices!!

Marko
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

soothsayer wrote:well I know stratford and surrounds got a massive development boost from the olympics, so while great britain as a whole might not have
Landlords who evicted tenants and increased rents for visitors to the Olympics has backfired as it seems there isn't much interest.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?