This is a joke...

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

kalamashaka
Egg
Egg
This is a joke...

Post by kalamashaka »

The Olympics are biased towards certain sports and that's why some countries are always at the top of the table while others never get a look in. E.g. There's too many medals awarded for swimming...I mean, WTH. They were talking about Phelps being the greatest Olympian ever but when you look at all the medals he's won, some of them are for events which are, basically, just variations of the same thing...

I'm sure that if they were giving medals in track for 50m, 60m 100m, 200m...backstep, sidestep, high knees, speed walking, plain walking, belly crawling and running backward, we'd see people like Bolt winning just as many medals...
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"
oluphemmie007
Egg
Egg
Re: This is a joke...

Post by oluphemmie007 »

kala don vex o...but i feel your pain sha.
Manchester United: Trophies Yesterday, Today and Forever

This is Cybereagles...expect anything.
kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

oluphemmie007 wrote:kala don vex o...but i feel your pain sha.
you know what I mean...and the sports which give multiple medals for the same things are all, coincidentally, sports which we (Africa) are not very good at. All our medallists only have one shot at gold when others get like 20 shots...
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Thats Oyinbo 419 for you. Thats why they are pissed off that China is winning gold in swimming now.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

African countries by and large focus only on the most competitive sports and the returns are poor...boxing and athletics are very competitive and tough...

A lot of sports like diving , shooting, archery,rowing have lots of medals and are comparatively easy to pick at least a bronze...The downside is that these sports need proper facilities and na there the whole thing go get k-leg
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

That's nothing. An Iranian boxer just got disqualified for holding a Cuban boxer. He was warned and got points deducted 3 times before the DQ. Why bring bias and politics into an event that's meant to unite. That was shameful!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

Black people no sabi organize and lobby. Na our downfall be that.

In my (relatively) short life, I have seen many sports in Yankee and Europe get born, grown "underground", develop a following, organize competitions and tours, standardize, get more following and media/tv coverage, and eventually get tested at and added to the Olympics.

We are not creating new sports. The sports we created (like traditional wrestling, "bolle") we are allowing to die. The sports we play we are not supporting at the local level through attendance, and the organizers are not giving us steady tournaments and schedules, or avenues to help generate funds. Our olympic committees and sports ministries are not bothered in developing local sport.

With the above, how won't more "white" sports get added to the olympics, and more medals for sports where the serious nations have a stake?

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
tippy
Egg
Egg

Post by tippy »

kalamashaka wrote:The Olympics are biased towards certain sports and that's why some countries are always at the top of the table while others never get a look in. E.g. There's too many medals awarded for swimming...I mean, WTH. They were talking about Phelps being the greatest Olympian ever but when you look at all the medals he's won, some of them are for events which are, basically, just variations of the same thing...

I'm sure that if they were giving medals in track for 50m, 60m 100m, 200m...backstep, sidestep, high knees, speed walking, plain walking, belly crawling and running backward, we'd see people like Bolt winning just as many medals...
would you like some ketchup for the massive chip on your shoulder?
My usual reaction after most Arsenal games: "lol, f*** Arsenal."
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

AreaDaddy wrote:African countries by and large focus only on the most competitive sports and the returns are poor...boxing and athletics are very competitive and tough...

A lot of sports like diving , shooting, archery,rowing have lots of medals and are comparatively easy to pick at least a bronze...The downside is that these sports need proper facilities and na there the whole thing go get k-leg
Oh reallly!!!!! Why you no dey there :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol:

No one should cry foul.. countries are focusing on their strengths.. African/Black countries should be dominating Track and field, boxing.... Interestingly, the Southern African countries (especially SA) do well to compete in sports like swimming..

I think it all comes down to facilities like you rightly pointed out. .. Also, one has to factor in the environment/sports culture of the respective countries.. IMO, Nigeria should have a lot of gymnasts (correct me if I am wrong)/swimmers competing at the highest level....

Meanwhile, why catapult no dey as olympic sport..

@Bret-hart,
Too much oyibo hating no good.. :taunt: :taunt: Sofry Sofry.... Who exactly is pissed at the chinese girl.. They expressed a legitimate concern abeit in the wrong manner.. Me sef way watch the race in question could not believe how fast the chinese chic was..
Mind you, past chinese olympic swimmers have tested positive drugs..

http://swimming.about.com/od/swimmingol ... oversy.htm

Kudos to the chic..
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

kalamashaka wrote:The Olympics are biased towards certain sports and that's why some countries are always at the top of the table while others never get a look in. E.g. There's too many medals awarded for swimming...I mean, WTH. They were talking about Phelps being the greatest Olympian ever but when you look at all the medals he's won, some of them are for events which are, basically, just variations of the same thing...

Athletics has 47 Gold Medals which is more than Swimming with 34 Gold Medals.

The same variations apply to Athletics, you have for Men Sprints; 100m, 110m Hurdles, 200m, 400m, 400m Hurdles, 4X100m & 4x400m. There are the Jumps too e.g Long Jump & Triple Jump which are very similar. Bolt can try the LJ just like some great sprinters like Owens & Lewis. :mrgreen:
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

analyzer wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:African countries by and large focus only on the most competitive sports and the returns are poor...boxing and athletics are very competitive and tough...

My guy no joke with me... I use to do Canoe-ing (K1) for a while and was very good at it...the problem was when you starting having to go for competitions if you don't have funding that's it..Most of the other guys had parents pay for them until they broke out to a level that they attracted sponsors.

Na so you for see me for Olympics...You go dey wave flag for your condo while I go dey village dey sample all those handall babes....
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

there is a reason why only known rowing event in uk is Oxford vs Cambridge boat race. Its very elitist sport.....
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

folem wrote: The same variations apply to Athletics, you have for Men Sprints; 100m, 110m Hurdles, 200m, 400m, 400m Hurdles, 4X100m & 4x400m.
That's 7 events in the range of 0 to 400m. In the same range, swimming has:

50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke, backstroke, 4x100 freestyle, 4X100 medley, 200m freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke, backstroke, medley, 4X200m freestyle, 400m freestyle, medley.

That's 15 by my count in the same range (but I am sure I am missing one).

RB.
kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

tippy wrote:

would you like some ketchup for the massive chip on your shoulder?
eh?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

analyzer wrote:

No one should cry foul.. countries are focusing on their strengths.. African/Black countries should be dominating Track and field, boxing.... Interestingly, the Southern African countries (especially SA) do well to compete in sports like swimming..

I think it all comes down to facilities like you rightly pointed out. .. Also, one has to factor in the environment/sports culture of the respective countries.. IMO, Nigeria should have a lot of gymnasts (correct me if I am wrong)/swimmers competing at the highest level....

@Bret-hart,
Too much oyibo hating no good.. :taunt: :taunt: Sofry Sofry.... Who exactly is pissed at the chinese girl.. They expressed a legitimate concern abeit in the wrong manner.. Me sef way watch the race in question could not believe how fast the chinese chic was..

Kudos to the chic..
Make dem start with making it a School sports or NUGA sport or even West African sport bifor you go tok about Olympics... abi una dey wait make oyibo pipul approve am for School Sports first? :P

Kosoo should be a sport... even skipping rope sef... :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

analyzer wrote:African/Black countries should be dominating Track and field, boxing.... Interestingly, the Southern African countries (especially SA) do well to compete in sports like swimming.
Two things;

It's not about that...even if African countries were dominating swimming, it'd still be unfair...how do they allocate the medals to the different sports is what i'm wondering.

2nd thing is that even if a country or individuals dominates any of the other sports, the amount of medals they could win is limited by the fact that the events are not as "diversified".
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

kalamashaka wrote:
analyzer wrote:African/Black countries should be dominating Track and field, boxing.... Interestingly, the Southern African countries (especially SA) do well to compete in sports like swimming.
Two things;

It's not about that...even if African countries were dominating swimming, it'd still be unfair...how do they allocate the medals to the different sports is what i'm wondering.
Lobbying by the sports' sanctioning bodies, and perceived popularity of the sport by the IOC.

RB.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

analyzer wrote:

@Bret-hart,

Kudos to the chic..

Bros, i am not hating on oyinbos. I am just disgusted by their false sense of entitlement and superiority. After that Chinese kid won gold, Rather than praise her genius, they went on and accused her of cheating. Really disgusting low down behavior that they will not hesitate to shoot down had it being targeted to one of their own *Phelps* The fact that they claim she came from no where makes me even more furious. This is a girl that was the Asian Champion at age 14 for goodness sakes.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

@Kalamshaka,
I think i somewhat get where you are coming from.. Regardless, the swimming categories are quite adequate imo..

http://www.london2012.com/swimming/men-events/

Next, you have to realize that each sport have relative team and individual medals and sometimes both. Sports like swimming/gymnastics/track/archery/fencing tend to have both individual and team competitions.. Now compared to soccer/bball/volleyball/handball which are all only team medals. Except you want them to start having 3pt competition, dunk competition, tackling competition, 5 v 5, 3 v, 3... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Simply put, some sports more than others can be broken down into meaningful competitive categories..

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Riversboy wrote:
folem wrote: The same variations apply to Athletics, you have for Men Sprints; 100m, 110m Hurdles, 200m, 400m, 400m Hurdles, 4X100m & 4x400m.
That's 7 events in the range of 0 to 400m. In the same range, swimming has:

50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke, backstroke, 4x100 freestyle, 4X100 medley, 200m freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke, backstroke, medley, 4X200m freestyle, 400m freestyle, medley.

That's 15 by my count in the same range (but I am sure I am missing one).

RB.
Not exactly.

The closest Swimming equivalent to 100m Athletics race is the Short Course 25m. 200m is not regarded as a sprint event in swimming but middle distance.

In Olympics only Long Course (50m) events are contested.

In Athletics the longest track event is 10,000m, while in Swimming the longest pool event is 1500m.

The marathon in Athletics is around 42 Km while in Swimming it is 10 Km.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

bret- hart wrote:Bros, i am not hating on oyinbos.
Yes you are. Just come clean and admit it. Maybe this will be easier when you realize that white Olympic officials are vigorously defending the Chinese swimmer.

:idea:
I am just disgusted by their false sense of entitlement and superiority.
Again, who's this their?
After that Chinese kid won gold, Rather than praise her genius, they went on and accused her of cheating. Really disgusting low down behavior that they will not hesitate to shoot down had it being targeted to one of their own *Phelps* The fact that they claim she came from no where makes me even more furious. This is a girl that was the Asian Champion at age 14 for goodness sakes.
As I mentioned elsewhere, it's my opinion that most top athletes are juiced, but some more than others. It was explained why this girl is probably juicing a bit more than others. My guess is that her lab is a bit more advanced than those supplying her competitors.

It all has to do with plain old envy, not racism. Americans are upset that somebody's got better juju than we do.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

bret- hart wrote:Thats Oyinbo ***** for you. Thats why they are pissed off that China is winning gold in swimming now.
Is Japan Oyinbo?
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

mate wrote:.

It all has to do with plain old envy, not racism. Americans are upset that somebody's got better juju than we do.
Cheers, Mate

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mate you no well at all... :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Folem, thanks for breaking down the swimming distances.. Folks here think say na beans to swim 50M... Once you hit the 200M mark it now turns to a test of endurance..