Gymnast Gabby Douglas' mom filed for bankruptcy

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Gymnast Gabby Douglas' mom filed for bankruptcy

Post by Man Ataye »

Related ContentThis combination of Thursday, Aug. …
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Court records show that the mother of Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas filed for bankruptcy earlier this year in Virginia.

The filing was first reported by TMZ, a day after it was revealed that the parents of fellow U.S. Olympian Ryan Lochte were facing foreclosure in Florida.

Documents filed in January in the Eastern District of Virginia show Douglas' mother, Natalie Hawkins, filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which allows people to reorganize their finances and pay down debt over several years.

Douglas has been one of the most popular athletes at the Olympics in London, becoming the first African-American woman to win an all-around gold medal in gymnastics. The 4-foot-11 16-year-old taken home two gold medals so far and has become an international superstar, winning over fans with her smile and the nickname "Flying Squirrel."

The gymnast's agent has fielded hundreds of emails from businesses, talk shows and magazines interested in Douglas, and she's already slated to appear on the cover of a Corn Flakes box. She stands to earn millions of dollars from endorsement deals and other ventures. Douglas has been training for two years in Iowa and hasn't been home to Virginia Beach since then.

This combination of Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012 photos shows Natalie Hawkins, left, and her daughter, U.S. gymnast Gabrielle Douglas at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Documents filed in January 2012 in the Eastern District of Virginia show Natalie Hawkins filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which allows a person to reorganize their finances and pay down debt over several years.

The bankruptcy filings list Hawkins as having assets totaling $163,706, with a townhouse in Virginia Beach and a 2007 Nissan Maxima accounting for the bulk of it.

Hawkins said the bankruptcy filing allowed her "to still be able to live and reorganize my debt in such a way that I could still pay what I owed."

"It's my story, it's part of me. I'm not even embarrassed about it," Hawkins said Sunday in London. "It shows that even though I didn't like to have to do it, I'm glad there was something there for me to be able to protect my home."

Hawkins also lists roughly $80,000 in debts. The bulk of that is from her mortgage. Hawkins is separated from her husband and lists about $2,500 in income a month, which comes from Social Security disability benefits and child support, according to the documents.

Natalie Hawkins went on long-term medical disability in 2009, and there were six months when the single mother of four had little to no income. In addition to mortgage payments for her home, there were expenses for Douglas' training and her other three children.

An order issued in March says Hawkins is to pay $400 a month toward her debts over a nearly five-year period.

http://news.yahoo.com/gymnast-gabby-dou ... tml?_esi=1
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Gymnast Gabby Douglas' mom filed for bankruptcy

Post by mcal »

...Donald Trump filed for bankruptcy, now is that a crime?
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Where is the father of her children?

Did she drive her husband out of the house or did he leave her and the children?
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

realtrouble wrote:Where is the father of her children?

Did she drive her husband out of the house or did he leave her and the children?
They are divorced. He serves in the armed forces and he's currently overseas.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

Well, Gabby is going to get a glut of endorsements after these games, so money shouldn't be a problem for much longer (provided they manage it tactfully).
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Kellogs is getting her a $90m deal,she is good,but why is this news though?People file for bankruptcy everyday
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

omey2k4 wrote:Kellogs is getting her a $90m deal,she is good,but why is this news though?People file for bankruptcy everyday
exactly.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

limelight news, no biggy
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

metalalloy wrote:
omey2k4 wrote:Kellogs is getting her a $90m deal,she is good,but why is this news though?People file for bankruptcy everyday
exactly.
some forumers are into the TMZ crap.

I beg the virgin OP watches Ent Tonight and stuff. :?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

tfco wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
exactly.
some forumers are into the TMZ crap.

I beg the virgin OP watches Ent Tonight and stuff. :?

Midget besides being a pesky troll and throwing ya stunted ( i mean limited) lines to kofo, can u not contribute to a thread??????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by CMS »

I don't blame her. Do you know how much it costs to put a kid in Gymnastics in the USA? She took a gamble and it paid off. Kudos to her. Most black families in the USA will not take such a chance. If any of my children have such a potential, I'll do the same, regardless of she wins it all or not. I would not want go through life wondering if and what could have. My Mom (RIP) would have done the same. I cannot even begin to count the sacrifices she made for us. Where do I even start. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Keshi said that before the team arrived South Africa that he told skipper Joseph Yobo that the Eagles were going to win the Cup but the former Everton defender did not believe.
:lol:
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

CMS - Gabby's not the same as "other girls" she was a prodigy since the age of 5. :blink:
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

ElHadary wrote:CMS - Gabby's not the same as "other girls" she was a prodigy since the age of 5. :blink:
Tell am oh :twisted:
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

CMS wrote:I don't blame her. Do you know how much it costs to put a kid in Gymnastics in the USA? She took a gamble and it paid off. Kudos to her. Most black families in the USA will not take such a chance. If any of my children have such a potential, I'll do the same, regardless of she wins it all or not. I would not want go through life wondering if and what could have. My Mom (RIP) would have done the same. I cannot even begin to count the sacrifices she made for us. Where do I even start. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I beg to disagree
Many Parents, both single & not, have made same and more sacrifices and it Did Not Work Out.
The kids never made it or were not good enough.

We Only hear of Success Stories.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

blueangel wrote:
CMS wrote:I don't blame her. Do you know how much it costs to put a kid in Gymnastics in the USA? She took a gamble and it paid off. Kudos to her. Most black families in the USA will not take such a chance. If any of my children have such a potential, I'll do the same, regardless of she wins it all or not. I would not want go through life wondering if and what could have. My Mom (RIP) would have done the same. I cannot even begin to count the sacrifices she made for us. Where do I even start. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I beg to disagree
Many Parents, both single & not, have made same and more sacrifices and it Did Not Work Out.

...well it's not a gaurantee they will all make it. Look at say, American football, how they start out at high school to college to pro. By the time it gets up there the numbers wittle down thru drop outs.
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

But that her mom get boobs for days sha... :taunt:
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by CMS »

mcal wrote:
blueangel wrote:

I beg to disagree

...well it's not a gaurantee they will all make it. Look at say, American football, how they start out at high school to college to pro. By the time it gets up there the numbers wittle down thru drop outs.
Abeg tell am so.. Did you miss a part of my post?

Keshi said that before the team arrived South Africa that he told skipper Joseph Yobo that the Eagles were going to win the Cup but the former Everton defender did not believe.
CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by CMS »

ElHadary wrote:CMS - Gabby's not the same as "other girls" she was a prodigy since the age of 5. :blink:
That was not my point. So many prodigies that did not make it. Its not a guarantee. The point was that the parents were willing to invest in her and took a gamble. Not too many will do that. They will ask the child to take the easier way out. Gymnastics is not cheap in the US you know.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...the Williams sisters is another example. Their father up rooted them from Compton California to resident and train in Florida, well the rest na history as they say. Tiger Wood story we know that too, his father's investment and discipline got him up there.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

I see that too.. Fine sexy lady... Those eyes of her na fire :thumbs: :thumbs: ... Very happy for her and Gabby....

Mudi E wrote:But that her mom get boobs for days sha... :taunt:
Soldier of Fortune...
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

This is interesting from the perspective of how much public funding should be available to potential athletes. Is private funding enough? A Russian official said recently that his country is under performing because Russia is stuck between a Chinese public funding approach and an American private funding approach.

I'm hearing more often that US sports aren't funded well enough due to the economy, although I haven't confirmed this.

But, I agree that it shouldn't cost a fortune for a family to prepare their child for potential Olympic competition.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?