Moderator: Moderator Team

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rio Olympics: Nigeria invites 27 basketball stars to camp

Post by Dammy »

Sports
By Joshua Odeyemi | Publish Date: May 3 2016 5:36PM...plays USA, China, Argentina, Brazil and Australia
03_May_2016_174210624.jpg
D’Tigers players celebrate after winning the 2015 Afrobasketball championship in Tunisia
The Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) has invited 27 male basketball players to camp ahead of the country's participation in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games in the summer.

The list, made up of both local and foreign stars have regulars like Ikechukwu Diogu, Olumide Oyedeji, Al-farouq Aminu, Chamberlain Oguchi as well as unfamiliar faces like Polish Basketball League's Czarni Slupsk's star Campbell Folarin and Westchester Knicks' forward Antetokounmpo Thanasis.

Others who made the list are: Jamal Olasewere, Michael Umeh, Benjamin Uzor, Michael Gbinije, Olaseni Abdul-Jelili Lawal, Abdul Wahab Aminu, Andy Ogide, Stanley Okoye, Ezeli Festus, ofoegbu Ike and Braimoh Suleiman.

Also, Ibekwe Ekene, Obasohan Derrick, Gumut Stanley, Usman Abubakar, Nwaelele Daniel, Akognon Josh, Udofia Mfon, Ere Ebi, Mbakwe Trevor and Udoh Ekpe made the list.

Nigeria is drawn in Group B of the Men's Basketball event of the 2016 Olympic Games alongside Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Lithuania and a team from the qualifying round.

Speaking on the country's preparation for the Games at a Press Conference in Abuja on Tuesday, President of the NBBF, Umar Tijjani said the players will fight for inclusion into the final list, insisting that only those who are able to convince the technical crew will make the final list.

He also hinted that there were possibilities of adding more names as soon as the federation receive confirmation from the players involved.

"The 28th name suppose to be Victor Oladipo but he has not yet decided and we don't want to put his name out before his decision. He has been in training camp with the US national team and he has not made the team. So, sometimes decisions can be very tough when it comes to that," Umar noted.

While rolling out the team's training schedule, the NBBF President said the team will open camp in either Los Angeles or Bakersfield on June 27th before flying to China on July 1 to participate in the Stankovic Cup between 5th and 10th of July.

He also said possible friendly matches have been arranged with the Australian, Argentine, Brazilian, Chinese and the US national teams before flying to Brazil on August 2 to compete in the Olympics.

In a similar development, the NBBF has called 25 players to the camp of the national women's basketball team as they prepare for the FIBA Women's Qualifying tournament in France for the 2016 Olympic Games.

The players are to arrive at the Abuja National Stadium camp on 15th May, 2016 before traveling out to play the Turkish national women's team on 27th and 28th of May among other high profile friendly matches.

The qualifying tournament will hold between 13th and 19th June, 2016 in Nantes, France.

Players invited are: Ogunjimi Helen, Ogoke Sarah, Elonu Adaora, Madu Ndidi, Imovbioh Sarah, Edeferioka edema, Ibiam Elem, Ugoka Uju, Ekworomadu Joyce, Kalu Ezinne, Amukamara Promise, Ibekwe Ifunanya and Nwaigwe Ugochi.

Others are: Sanni Olayinka, Atonye Nyingifa, Atosu Upe, Udeaja Chioma, Akashili Nkechi, Idoko Patience, Okpe Patience, Chinyere Juliet, Akaraiwe Nkem, Isaac Christiana, Okeke Ebere and Umeh Gloria.

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/sport ... hraQwHX.99
I am happy
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rio Olympics: Nigeria invites 27 basketball stars to cam

Post by theYemster »

Did they retain the Afrobasket winning coach and his crew?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Yes they did, he sent out the invites
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

If not for Jesus, where will i be?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Hopefully Ezeli makes it.

[/video]

I like our front line

Healthy Ike Diogu, Ezeli, Lawal and Alade.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

How players are to make the final roster?
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

Shame Victor Oladipo is not on the list
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

This boy is good.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I am shocked Rashad Sulaimon is not on the list.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

ohenhen1 wrote:Hopefully Ezeli makes it.

[/video]

I like our front line

Healthy Ike Diogu, Ezeli, Lawal and Alade.
you must not have watched the Finals :)
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Nigeriai s leading 34 - 31

Third Quarter
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Nigeria has been a bit sloppy..but a bit better now

Nigeria 51, China 42

Lawal and Oguchi in their element in the last two points.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Nigeria wins 79 - 71 in the Stankovic cup.

To be honest, at times we stank...almost threw away the lead at the end, but we held it together, So I'll take the Vic.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Tbite wrote:Nigeria wins 79 - 71 in the Stankovic cup.

To be honest, at times we stank...almost threw away the lead at the end, but we held it together, So I'll take the Vic.
Where/How did you watch this?

Do you have info on the line up we used?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I didn't pay too much attention to the game.

but Diogu played, Lawal played, Oguchi, Uzoh played, Ikene Ibekwe played, as did Ben Uzoh.

These are the ones that I remember.

What I can tell you was that China were not that impressive, they were very sloppy. Poor passing, poor free throws etc...but they defended very tightly.

As for Nigeria, well we weren't in Championship mode, at least from what I saw in the second and third quarters, but we did enough.

Oh and there was one other player that I recognized. He is a bit shorter and wears a headband, I will try look him up. Dude hustles a lot, and defends very well...unless it was Umeh..well it was Umeh or someone with a similar build.

My gf was the one who told me about the match, (She is from Beijing), she gave me the link....that I posted here.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Tbite wrote:I didn't pay too much attention to the game.

but Diogu played, Lawal played, Oguchi, Uzoh played, Ikene Ibekwe played, as did Ben Uzoh.

These are the ones that I remember.

What I can tell you was that China were not that impressive, they were very sloppy. Poor passing, poor free throws etc...but they defended very tightly.

As for Nigeria, well we weren't in Championship mode, at least from what I saw in the second and third quarters, but we did enough.

Oh and there was one other player that I recognized. He is a bit shorter and wears a headband, I will try look him up. Dude hustles a lot, and defends very well...unless it was Umeh..well it was Umeh or someone with a similar build.

My gf was the one who told me about the match, (She is from Beijing), she gave me the link....that I posted here.

Thanks a lot.

I was able to see a few highlights on the link. Happy Lawal and Diogu are fit again.

http://sports.le.com/live/1020160701114 ... s/25946933
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Naija dey play argen o. Same link should work. I no fi watch am...i nor dey for house. M'una try
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

With this link you can watch the FULL China V Nigeria game

http://sports.le.com/live/1020160701114 ... d/25947650

I couldn't watch the Argentina match, but the full game should also be available shortly. I don't know what the result was.

We will play France tomorrow.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I believe that Nigeria is currently at 44 and Argentina are at 55 but I am not entirely sure.

This was the Lineup against Argentina

Image'

Argentina won 71 to 49...We fell apart in the 3rd quarter and most especially in the 4th quarter ...according to the stats.

I wonder what happened in the 4th quarter...
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Tied at the half, but Argentina won 71-49.

We were outscored 38-16 in the 2nd half.

http://www.scorespro.com/basketball/

Hopefully, they played 'practice' players for the 2nd half. They invited a bunch of no-hopers to camp. We have 7 solid guys from Afrobasket. Invite as many as accept from Okafor, Oladipo, Sulaimon, Ezeli, Ochefu and you have a team.

The solid guys from Afrobasket are Diogu, Ala Aminu, Al Aminu, Lawal, Oguchi, Uzoh, and Gbinijie.

Okoye, Olasesewere and Ogide are just there and could be bench players if no better options.

Oyedeji at this stage is a joke and Umeh is not a national team calibre PG.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Is Oladipo still holding out hope for team USA?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

You can use this link to watch the full matches

http://sports.le.com/topic/i/bsschedule2016/index.html

If you use chrome it should automatically translate to English, otherwise translate it manually.

Direct Link for Argentina game (Full match), if that fails: http://sports.le.com/video/25952433.html

From what I have quickly glanced, we did play mostly the B team in the 4th quarter. Josh Akognon, Oyedeji, Ogide, Okoye were playing etc