Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

F360
Egg
Egg
Re: Rio Olympics: Nigeria invites 27 basketball stars to cam

Post by F360 »

Ugbowo wrote:Player,

Who all is in Vegas now? I am shocked Sulaimon was not invited.
I thought Sulaimon is/was in Vegas but for the Bulls summer league team??
Player wrote:Team that played the last game

Diogu
Lawal
Uzoh
Umeh
Oguchi
Alade Aminu
Okoye
Gbinije
Akognon
Ere
Ibekwe

Others that have been in camp.. Al Farouq, Oyedeji, Sulaimon, Olasewere, Zanna and Nwaelele
Man it was a shock to me when I heard Nwaelele was in camp because I hadn't heard anything about the dude in a couple of years. Since he was on the Warriors D-League team.
If he can still light it up from arc then he might be of value to our squad.

--------------------------------------------
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

F360 wrote:

Diogu
Lawal
Uzoh
Umeh
Oguchi
Alade Aminu
Okoye
Gbinije
Akognon
Ere
Ibekwe

Others that have been in camp.. Al Farouq, Oyedeji, Sulaimon, Olasewere, Zanna and Nwaelele
Man it was a shock to me when I heard Nwaelele was in camp because I hadn't heard anything about the dude in a couple of years. Since he was on the Warriors D-League team.
He was in the military, I believe.

Looks like your man Ezeli is nowhere to be found.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

We really need Sulaimon and Gbinije in that backcourt, along with Uzoh.

A combo of Akognon & Umeh will be a defensive liability.

I trust the coaching crew to make the right call though.

Front court all set with Diogu, Lawal and Alade Aminu.

Looks like Ekene Ibekwe might sneak into the team and add depth to our wing play with Al Farouq.

Fiba says they need to cut 16 down to 12.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

FIBA story and highlights

[/video]
Last edited by truetalk on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Looks like D Tigers are primarily an outside shooting team. The big question is can they shoot 45 to 50 % consistently from the outside? That's the only way they're gonna be competitive :!:

Cheers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

About time! He should have quit the D'Tigers after the 2012 Olympics.

D’Tigers Captain Oyedeji Withdraws From Rio Olympics

20 Jul 2016 Headlines, Top Stories

By Bamidele Boluwaji:

Nigeria’s senior men’s basketball team captain, Olumide Oyedeji, has pulled out of the 2016 Olympic Games less than three weeks to the commencement of the global event scheduled to hold in Rio, Brazil.

Oyedeji who made his national team debut for Nigeria during the World University Games in Italy in 1997 and was also part of the team to the Senegal African Championship same year decided to pull out due to personal reasons.

According to D’Tigers’ most capped player, there are more pressing issues from the family that he has to attend to which will not make him to be available with the team at the early stages of the Olympics hence the decision to withdraw so that the team will not be affected.

However, the former NBA star will be in Rio as soon as he is through with his family, in the capacity of the International Olympics Committee Career Programme.

Oyedeji who was part of the team’s pre-Olympics tournament in China has wished the team a successful participation in the competition while urging the players to make Nigeria proud in Rio.

Oyedeji, who featured at the London Olympics four years ago, was instrumental in Nigeria securing the Rio Olympics ticket via the Afrobasket D’Tigers won last year.
Read Also: Oyedeji: USA Pre-Olympics Friendly Good For D'Tigers

Meanwhile, Complete Sports gathered that Oyedeji’s name was not among the first twelve players sent to the Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC.

According to Complete Sports source, the former NBA player’s name was placed in the reserves list with one other player, meaning he is not considered good enough for the team except if injury occurs to one of the twelve players already registered for the Olympics.

“Well, I am surprised to see Olumide Oyedeji’s name missing in the first twelve players that will represent Nigeria at the Olympics and it was also funny that the NBBF placed his name in the reserves.

“I don’t know what has happened in the team’s camp in USA but I think this calls for concern,” a Complete Sports source said.

Meanwhile, D’Tigers who defeated Argentina in a build-up game on Monday will play against same Argentina, Croatia, Spain, Lithuania and host Brazil in the group stage of the Olympics.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/dt ... -olympics/
I am happy
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Sulaimon was in camp in LA but not Vegas...watching him for 4 years in College, im not sure how he will improve this squad.

Nwaelele does not seem to be in Voigts plans, he's been playing in the D'League.
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Dammy wrote:About time! He should have quit the D'Tigers after the 2012 Olympics.

By Bamidele Boluwaji:

Nigeria’s senior men’s basketball team captain, Olumide Oyedeji, has pulled out of the 2016 Olympic Games less than three weeks to the commencement of the global event scheduled to hold in Rio, Brazil.

Oyedeji who made his national team debut for Nigeria during the World University Games in Italy in 1997 and was also part of the team to the Senegal African Championship same year decided to pull out due to personal reasons.

According to D’Tigers’ most capped player, there are more pressing issues from the family that he has to attend to which will not make him to be available with the team at the early stages of the Olympics hence the decision to withdraw so that the team will not be affected.

However, the former NBA star will be in Rio as soon as he is through with his family, in the capacity of the International Olympics Committee Career Programme.

Oyedeji who was part of the team’s pre-Olympics tournament in China has wished the team a successful participation in the competition while urging the players to make Nigeria proud in Rio.

Oyedeji, who featured at the London Olympics four years ago, was instrumental in Nigeria securing the Rio Olympics ticket via the Afrobasket D’Tigers won last year.

Meanwhile, Complete Sports gathered that Oyedeji’s name was not among the first twelve players sent to the Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC.

According to Complete Sports source, the former NBA player’s name was placed in the reserves list with one other player, meaning he is not considered good enough for the team except if injury occurs to one of the twelve players already registered for the Olympics.

“Well, I am surprised to see Olumide Oyedeji’s name missing in the first twelve players that will represent Nigeria at the Olympics and it was also funny that the NBBF placed his name in the reserves.

“I don’t know what has happened in the team’s camp in USA but I think this calls for concern,” a Complete Sports source said.

Meanwhile, D’Tigers who defeated Argentina in a build-up game on Monday will play against same Argentina, Croatia, Spain, Lithuania and host Brazil in the group stage of the Olympics.
Seems like they have him a soft landing to save face. They can't say they cut him. What personal reasons will keep him out of the team but allow him be in Rio later? Wedding, funeral, childbirth ???
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Player wrote:Sulaimon was in camp in LA but not Vegas...watching him for 4 years in College, im not sure how he will improve this squad.

Nwaelele does not seem to be in Voigts plans, he's been playing in the D'League.
So, Oladipo is still a no show?

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Player wrote:Sulaimon was in camp in LA but not Vegas...watching him for 4 years in College, im not sure how he will improve this squad.

Player, you've started again. Sulaimon played 3 full years in college. Two of those were very good (his freshmen and senior years). His NBA draft prospect says 'Rasheed Sulaimon is solid at everything, but he’s not likely to go in the NBA Draft'. He shoots over .85 FT & .44 3PT. He can dribble, dish and create his own shot, and he can easily be our best perimeter defender.

Looking at our guard situation, Uzoh and Oguchi should start, with Gbinije first off the bench (or starting if we play small ball). The next man off the bench if he is in the team is Sulaimon. He does everything well & won't be a defensive liability like Akognon or Umeh.

He can also be part of the core team for the next decade.
Last edited by truetalk on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

theYemster wrote:
Dammy wrote:About time! He should have quit the D'Tigers after the 2012 Olympics.

By Bamidele Boluwaji:

Seems like they have him a soft landing to save face. They can't say they cut him. What personal reasons will keep him out of the team but allow him be in Rio later? Wedding, funeral, childbirth ???

We have to stop all these 'big man' tactics in Nigeria. No shame in younger ones now being better than you especially when you are way past your prime.
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

truetalk wrote:

Player, you've started again. Sulaimon played 3 full years in college. Two of those were very good (his freshmen and senior years). His NBA draft prospect says 'Rasheed Sulaimon is solid at everything, but he’s not likely to go in the NBA Draft'. He shoot over .85 FT & .44 3PT. He can dribble, dish and create his own shot, and he can easily be our best perimetre defender.

Looking at our guard situation, Uzoh and Oguchi should start, with Gbinije first off the bench (or starting if we play small ball). The next man off the bench if he is in the team is Sulaimon. He does everything well & won't be a defensive liability like Akognon or Umeh.

Right now, I just can't see Sulaimon's game translate to International ball, he's too inconsistent for me, would like to see him get that one year pro under his belt first.

"Rasheed Sulaimon and Evan Smotrycz will also need their passports.

Neither of the former Terps who finished their college careers as grad students got much of a run on their respective teams. When they did get a chance, neither showed much of what they do best.

Sulaimon, who was Maryland’s best 3-point shooter among regulars and its top perimeter defender last season, struggled at both ends with the Bulls. Sulaimon shot 3-for-13 on 3-pointers and had trouble matching up against smaller, quicker guards."
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

theYemster wrote:

By Bamidele Boluwaji:

You are right, it was a face saving move. Olumide has been the face of Nigerian basketball for almost 20 years. He has paid his dues but he should know when to move on. Unfortunately a lot of our stars don't know when to move on. While I understand compensating him for his contributions to our basketball by taking him to our first Olympics in 2012 (just like Keshi in WC94), he should have retired after the 2012 Olympics. He contributed virtually nothing at AfroBasket 2015 and you could even see the players laughing at his attempts. A non playing role should be found for him in the D'Tigers.
I am happy
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

theYemster wrote:

Man you missed the announcement a couple of weeks ago. The bobo chose to accept a "very late" call up to the USA SELECT team to scrimmage the actual USA Olympic BBall team. He would rather hold on to the slim possibility of playing for Team USA in future Olympics and BBall World Cups and fighting to beat out Harden, Klay, Beal, DeRozan and the up and comers. Good luck to him.

F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

truetalk wrote:
F360 wrote:

Diogu
Lawal
Uzoh
Umeh
Oguchi
Alade Aminu
Okoye
Gbinije
Akognon
Ere
Ibekwe

He was in the military, I believe.

Looks like your man Ezeli is nowhere to be found.

He finished his military service in 2012.
More likely is the possibility that he was just rehabbing from injury.

I'm not Ezeli's agent. D'Tigers aren't done with training camp and have not left for Rio left. If he isn't in Houston with the team then there should be cause for concern....from those that believe he will be able to help the team.

F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Player wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Player, you've started again. Sulaimon played 3 full years in college. Two of those were very good (his freshmen and senior years). His NBA draft prospect says 'Rasheed Sulaimon is solid at everything, but he’s not likely to go in the NBA Draft'. He shoot over .85 FT & .44 3PT. He can dribble, dish and create his own shot, and he can easily be our best perimetre defender.

Right now, I just can't see Sulaimon's game translate to International ball, he's too inconsistent for me, would like to see him get that one year pro under his belt first.

"Rasheed Sulaimon and Evan Smotrycz will also need their passports.

Neither of the former Terps who finished their college careers as grad students got much of a run on their respective teams. When they did get a chance, neither showed much of what they do best.

Sulaimon, who was Maryland’s best 3-point shooter among regulars and its top perimeter defender last season, struggled at both ends with the Bulls. Sulaimon shot 3-for-13 on 3-pointers and had trouble matching up against smaller, quicker guards."

Player, bros I think gotta agree with truetalk on what Rasheed can bring to the team defensively, even though he didn't have a good time in Summer League... But I guess if Voigt isn't bringing him back to training camp now that Summer League is over then Coach maybe feels the way you do-that Rasheed needs some more professional seasoning.

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

and to think that I was calling Josh Akognon a 2nd rate player earlier.

Kaiii the way this guy was sinking threes.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

F360 wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Man you missed the announcement a couple of weeks ago. The bobo chose to accept a "very late" call up to the USA SELECT team to scrimmage the actual USA Olympic BBall team. He would rather hold on to the slim possibility of playing for Team USA in future Olympics and BBall World Cups and fighting to beat out Harden, Klay, Beal, DeRozan and the up and comers. Good luck to him.
I can understand dumping a starting role for Nigeria in favour of a backup role for USA but what is this...alternate for four years from now?

Well good luck to him and Okafor.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Nigeria Basketball ‏@NigeriaBasket 4h4 hours ago

Final: Argentina 101 Nigeria 79. D'Tigers split the exhibitions 1-1 in Las Vegas

Umeh led the way with 14 points. Oguchi also added 14 points in the loss.
https://twitter.com/nigeriabasket
I am happy
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Ezeli's agent no wan talk why bobo never show. I go wind am again maybe he will spill.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Dammy wrote:Nigeria Basketball ‏@NigeriaBasket 4h4 hours ago

Final: Argentina 101 Nigeria 79. D'Tigers split the exhibitions 1-1 in Las Vegas

Let me guess. Our back court didn't shoot as well as they did the first time around. We must have a balanced inside/outside game :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Dammy wrote:Nigeria Basketball ‏@NigeriaBasket 4h4 hours ago

Let me guess. Our back court didn't shoot as well as they did the first time around. We must have a balanced inside/outside game :!:

Cheers.