Rugby : Fiji annihilate Great Britain to win 1st ever medal.

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rugby : Fiji annihilate Great Britain to win 1st ever medal.

Post by AreaDaddy »

I don't generally watch a lot of Rugby, but love seven aside because it action packed and fluid. The Pacific Islanders are Kings of this sport and we saw them in all their glorious pomp as Fiji massacred Britain. (Britian's excuse...it is a experimental side)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/201 ... semi-live/
Team GB thrashed by Fiji in rugby sevens final: But don't cry, it's still a silver medal!

Fiji were crowned the first men's sevens rugby Olympic champions after crushing Britain 43-7 in the final of the inaugural tournament, giving the Pacific island nation its first Games medal.

Britain took silver, while South Africa earlier won the bronze with a similarly lopsided 54-14 victory over Japan at the Deodoro Stadium.

The Pacific islanders started in ruthless fashion, notching up up five first-half tries from Osea Kolinisau, Jerry Tuwai, Jasa Veremalua, Leone Nakarawa and Vatemo Ravouvou, with two Kolinisau conversions, for a 29-0 lead.

Josua Tuisova and Mata Viliame added to that tally in the second period with Dan Norton grabbing a consolation try for Britain in the one-sided match at the Deodoro Stadium.

They were the first men's rugby medals awarded at the Olympics since the 1924 Paris Games, where the United States won gold in the 15-aside game.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg
Re: Rugby : Fiji annihilate Great Britain to win 1st ever me

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

Strength, flair and full of hand offs. 7s is totally different to 15s and THAT is how it should be played. Other teams try to play a condensed version of 15s but that can no longer be the standard. NZ to come back harder and stronger in 2020, not sure if GB and SA have the sort of athletes that can play the Fiji way.
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
akamoke
Re: Rugby : Fiji annihilate Great Britain to win 1st ever me

Post by akamoke »

So the Rugby gold medal winners of all time are

1924: USA
2016: Fiji
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.