Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Worst Olympics in a long long time

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

AreaDaddy wrote:
Prince wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:So many empty stadiums....even for track and field...probably the most premier event in the olympics
:clap:
Thank you my brother. Even the mood doesnt seem festive. Makes me appreciate what a wonderful job the Brits did even them I was taunting them at every turn at the time.

Brazil should be ashamed
Say what you want about the British they know how to plan. They use to rely on government money about 16 years ago and won only three medals. They now secured a percentage of the lottery money to fund athletes that has potential and invest in sports They are good at, hiring petformace directors from all over the world for cycling, rising and swimming. If you go below a particular time they cut your funding
In 1996 in Atlanta Nigerian had twice as many Gold Medal Britain and finished above them in the medal table. They then started this Lottery sports funding and this has turbo charged their sports, as I type they are second in the table.

They lottery scheme is worth other countries having a look at. It has done wonders for British sport.
As long as human beings are in charge of handling and disbursing the lottery proceeds in Nigeria, our athletes would be lucky to see a fraction.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
Prince wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:So many empty stadiums....even for track and field...probably the most premier event in the olympics
Thank you my brother. Even the mood doesnt seem festive. Makes me appreciate what a wonderful job the Brits did even them I was taunting them at every turn at the time.

Brazil should be ashamed
Say what you want about the British they know how to plan. They use to rely on government money about 16 years ago and won only three medals. They now secured a percentage of the lottery money to fund athletes that has potential and invest in sports They are good at, hiring petformace directors from all over the world for cycling, rising and swimming. If you go below a particular time they cut your funding
In 1996 in Atlanta Nigerian had twice as many Gold Medal Britain and finished above them in the medal table. They then started this Lottery sports funding and this has turbo charged their sports, as I type they are second in the table.

They lottery scheme is worth other countries having a look at. It has done wonders for British sport.
As long as human beings are in charge of handling and disbursing the lottery proceeds in Nigeria, our athletes would be lucky to see a fraction.
Even if it were to be used properly I personally don't think it is the right thing to use funds for in Nigeria . There are far too many basic needs unmet in Nigeria that that spending the sort of money the UK spends on sport funding would be immoral. For other developed nations it is a useful model to scrutinise.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

AreaDaddy wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
Prince wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

Brazil should be ashamed

Even if it were to be used properly I personally don't think it is the right thing to use funds for in Nigeria . There are far too many basic needs unmet in Nigeria that that spending the sort of money the UK spends on sport funding would be immoral. For other developed nations it is a useful model to scrutinise.

True
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Brazil should b ashamed? ??? No b mosquito cause am. Zika scared all off.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

AreaDaddy wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
Prince wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

Brazil should be ashamed

The money is not to pay the athletes but also to pay, Performance Coaches, the got some of the best coaches from all over the world, those ones drew up a programme and if you fall below it, they cut off funnding and also they train the next generation of coaches, in boxing we used to have amateur boxing coaches from Cuba, Weight lifters coaches from Eastern Europe that coached the likes of Oliva Orok. Like everything we fail to develop on it

I think sports can be used as a way to bring about social mobility amongst the youth, We have a genertion that only drink and go clubbing, We need to create more for this people and also create a pathway for the elite amongst them.

In UK little league football generates millions of pounds and creates employment for thousands, This is just under 11 football leagues, from Coaches, Shirt Sponsors etc etc
Oya back to the matter
open and close
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

tfco wrote:So I am watching Fencing, just for the heck of it

2 guys with wires on them and helmets flashing red/green and other colours.

Looks ok, but with such sophistry how many countries will be able to afford to participate
Mr. Grammarticus Gradgrind, what the fock does this mean in this context? :mad: You are fired if you cannot explain it.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

tfco wrote:I'm not feeling these games at all

Too many events - how tf some of these are Olympics sports, i will never know

trampoline
dressage - man/woman on horse, prancing about to music. dem for add ballroom dancing then
skeet shooting

...and a host of other sh.!t
Too many obscure European sports that are not REALLY sports. Time to incorporate more non-European sports.
Too many events in swimming, Fencing, cycling, etc
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

i'm enjoying it and enjoying feeds for every sport, so I am not enslaved to biased BBC broadcasting and commentary. Sports that dont really get broadcasting that I fully enjoy include weightlifting, volleyball and handball. but that horse dancing gotta go, I mean ffs, we might as well have wheelbarrow pushing
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

There are some sports that are not too bad to watch. Female Volleyball :sneaky: , Weight lifting, Cycling on Velodrome but I have to agree the NBC has messed it up even further with their programming schedule here in US.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Cito wrote:There are some sports that are not too bad to watch. Female Volleyball :sneaky: , Weight lifting, Cycling on Velodrome but I have to agree the NBC has messed it up even further with their programming schedule here in US.
Pretty much everything is live here, online streaming,
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Vincent. wrote:

trampoline
dressage - man/woman on horse, prancing about to music. dem for add ballroom dancing then
skeet shooting

Too many obscure European sports that are not REALLY sports. Time to incorporate more non-European sports.

You don't get to decide what is sports and what is not.

As Dodo said, get many people interested in wheel-barrow pushing, and you have sport right there.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

trampoline
skeet shooting

As Dodo said, get many people interested in wheel-barrow pushing, and you have sport right there.
The olympics is not really supposed to be about sports IMO. It is about the human ability. So only the sports that BEST show human ability should really feature. Sports that tested strength (Weightlifting), Speed (Dash), Jumping (Long/High Jump) etc

I can permit sports like Basketball and Football, because they have such large participation globally. but the Olympics should not really be about "Everything that human beings can do"...it should be like a crash course on human physiology.

Just the basic elements of what we can do.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Dodo wrote:
Cito wrote:There are some sports that are not too bad to watch. Female Volleyball :sneaky: , Weight lifting, Cycling on Velodrome but I have to agree the NBC has messed it up even further with their programming schedule here in US.
Ya I like watching things on TV and not on time delay either.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

Dodo wrote:i'm enjoying it and enjoying feeds for every sport, so I am not enslaved to biased BBC broadcasting and commentary. Sports that dont really get broadcasting that I fully enjoy include weightlifting, volleyball and handball. but that horse dancing gotta go, I mean ffs, we might as well have wheelbarrow pushing
Some (not all) BBC commentators are incredibly poor. They have their 'favourites' (even amongst the British competitors) and they do not even hide it.
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Cito wrote:
Dodo wrote:
Ya I like watching things on TV and not on time delay either.
Smart TV mate :thumbs:, there's your answer
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

trampoline
skeet shooting

Chief, do you think synchronized swimming is a sport? :rotf:
I don't see it as a sport and I doubt it has mass appeal.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009