Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: JEREMY TAIWO

Post by 1naija »

Dr. Wazobia wrote:
1naija wrote:Half of University of Texas track and field team have Nigerian names ... at least it looks that way from the last big 12 track meet I watched. These are future Olympians. Nigeria should make concerted effort to convince them to represent Nigeria like we currently do in soccer.
Why represent a failed nation? Please, they should stay away from Nigeria if they are serious about winning Olympic medals in the future.

With a population of over 100 million people, it is a travesty that Nigeria cannot boast 10 medals (at least) at Rio. That country is obviously not working.
The fact is most of these athletes won't get the chance to represent the US because there will likely be African Americans that are slightly better and faster. A good example is the women 4 x 100m Relay I mentioned above where a Nigerian American anchored the race for the final heat only to be dropped for Bowie in the final medal race.

In her case, she even made the team. Imagine the many that are very good but not "American " enough to be selected for the US. Most of these athletes are far better than what we have been fielding in the Olympics. To me, this is Nigeria's short term solution for getting medals while we develop a long term plan.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

1naija wrote:
Dr. Wazobia wrote:
1naija wrote:Half of University of Texas track and field team have Nigerian names ... at least it looks that way from the last big 12 track meet I watched. These are future Olympians. Nigeria should make concerted effort to convince them to represent Nigeria like we currently do in soccer.
Why represent a failed nation? Please, they should stay away from Nigeria if they are serious about winning Olympic medals in the future.

With a population of over 100 million people, it is a travesty that Nigeria cannot boast 10 medals (at least) at Rio. That country is obviously not working.
The fact is most of these athletes won't get the chance to represent the US because there will likely be African Americans that are slightly better and faster. A good example is the women 4 x 100m Relay I mentioned above where a Nigerian American anchored the race for the final heat only to be dropped for Bowie in the final medal race.

In her case, she even made the team. Imagine the many that are very good but not "American " enough to be selected for the US. Most of these athletes are far better than what we have been fielding in the Olympics. To me, this is Nigeria's short term solution for getting medals while we develop a long term plan.
What do u mean not American enough??? If that was the thinking they would not b on the team 1st of all. O doubt this bias.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

1naija wrote:
Dr. Wazobia wrote:

Ummmm.........any athlete would have been dropped for Bowie in the final bro. It has nothing to do with heritage. Furthermore, did you see the number of 'Nigerian Americans' on the USA Track and Field team? If you're good enough, you get picked ......
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Vincent. wrote:
Dr. Wazobia wrote:

It makes little of no difference. Nobody is asking them to locate to Nigeria (even top athletes that are born and bred in Nigeria and other countries operate out of training camps in the US). All they have to do is run under the Nigerian flag.
It relates to sponsorship.
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."