Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: D’TIGERS Tokyo 2021

Post by wanaj0 »

truetalk wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:20 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:27 pm
truetalk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:05 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm
truetalk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm On the Women's side, it will just be unfair to choose Aisha Balarabe over Evelyn Akhator. I was against Scott Nnaji's injustice in keeping Aisha Balarabe out when she was the best Nigerian player available and winning Europe league game MVPs, but that was many years ago. She has looked old and slow in the last few tournaments and it seems there is no reasonable reason for her to be in the team at all, not to talk of ahead of Evelyn Akhator, who was the best player a couple of Afrobaskets last. On another note, good to see Liz Williams and a couple of Ogwumikes.

If they can get Arike, this team might be better than Team USA.

For the women’s national team, coach Otis Hughley listed three new players — Erica Ogwumike, Oderah Chidom and Elizabeth Williams — in his squad.

Ogwumike’s sisters Nneka, a World Cup winner with the US in 2014 and 2018, and Chiney, also made the squad.

The other players who made the squad are Adaora Elonu, Aisha Balarabe, Amy Amukamara, Atonye Nyingifa, Ezinne Kalu, Pallas Kunayi-Akpanah, Ifunaya Ibekwe, Amy Okonkwo and Victoria Macauley.

Also, exciting power forward Evelyn Akhator missed out from D’Tigress squad for the Olympics, following COVID-19 travel restrictions, which prevented her from joining the other players in camp in the United States.

D’Tigress are drawn against USA, France and hosts Japan.
Have Nneka and Chiney been cleared by FIBA?

I hope the part about being better than team USA is just optimistic humor🙂❗️

Cheers.
I'll take Arike over Sue Bird right now. Taurasi is also no Spring Chicken

A front court of the Ogwumikes and Liz Williams will hold its own against Stew & Tina Charles. Maybe Griner will harass us, but we have some height as well.

Then the Nigerian team has a couple of solid players in Ezinne Kanu and Promise Amukamara.

Well, Arike is not in camp & I sense they might just not clear Nneka for the reasons stated above, so we may just never know, but I'm not kidding.
First of all, there is no member of the US Olympic Women’s team who wouldn’t walk on to the Tigeress squad.

It’s nice that you think so highly of Arike that you’ll take her over Sue Bird, the greatest point guard of all time in women’s basketball. Kobe Bryant nicknamed her “the White Mamba”, for crying out loud. Sue at 40, Dianna at 39 and Tina Charles at 32 are still the best of the best. Why do you think they are still in the WNBA? These three, along with Breanna Stewart have won everything there is to win in basketball, from high school to the pros; All American honors, multiple NCAA championships, multiple WNBA championships and more; rookie of the year, mvp, you name it, they’ve done it. Breanna has the exact same credentials as the first three I mentioned except she’s only 27.

I hail your optimism regarding D’Tigeress but the US is too deep and too talented❗️

Cheers.
With what happened tonight on the men's side, I just hope they don't frustrate Nneka's application to switch. The American and the Europeans will have an aligned interest in not wanting a strong Nigerian team
The coach seems to be surprised by FIBA's attitude to the switch.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Okogie, Nnamdi, Nwamu, Okpala, Okafor, Achiuwa, Emegano, Oni, Nwora, Udoh, Agada, Metu

The 12 going for a medal in Tokyo. Counting on them to make it.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Whatever happened to Spencer Dinwiddie❓❗️

Cheers.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 pm Whatever happened to Spencer Dinwiddie❓❗️

Cheers.
DINWIDIE'S A FREE AGENT, AND...

...he's coming off a recent injury and may not want to jeopardize his future. Maybe, understandably, he doesn't want to risk an injury in the Olympics. I don't know why the likes of Aminu, Anunoby and Monte Harris are not there.
Bell
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Bell wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 pm Whatever happened to Spencer Dinwiddie❓❗️

Cheers.

...he's coming off a recent injury and may not want to jeopardize his future. Maybe, understandably, he doesn't want to risk an injury in the Olympics. I don't know why the likes of Aminu, Anunoby and Monte Harris are not there.
Bell
The team is solid enough as is. OG would be great, but

Can't verify Monte Morris' Naija links (outside of a DNA test, which itself is solid). He & Dinwiddie may have been interested in the team due to Brown, but we also have a solid group of NBA roster guys.

Aminu has been mostly injured, and the younger ones are better for this team at this point.
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

truetalk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:43 am
Bell wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 pm

Cheers.

Bell
The team is solid enough as is. OG would be great, but

Can't verify Monte Morris' Naija links (outside of a DNA test, which itself is solid). He & Dinwiddie may have been interested in the team due to Brown, but we also have a solid group of NBA roster guys.

Aminu has been mostly injured, and the younger ones are better for this team at this point.
I get chemistry is important but OG can walk onto any roster and instantly make it better. Man's a baller and gets along with everybody, big mistake not to take him.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

OG is solid, but Jordan Nwora, who is a volume scorer, and already established with the team will likely be the starting Small Forward.

His defense is not at OG's level, but the young man can put up points in a hurry. His Dad is also the Assistant (and previous Head) Coach.

As I mentioned here, Jordan was going to be on the team, even though he did not make it to camp.

KZ Okpalla also plays in that position. He is a solid defender, who is lean and long like Tayshaun Prince. He is listed at 6'8, but he looks like a long 6'9 or a short 6'10.

The team will be fine. I expect them to beat Australia (the #1 ranked team that just beat them by 40).
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

I am in pains, I am in sifia pains. Australia and France have done me strong tin today.

First I could not find anywhere to watch the game. Not on Amazon, Apple TV, Youtube, Cable, nowhere. I settled for the FIBA website and livescore for tracking. I checked in the middle of Q1, we were down 7, I checked at the end of Q1, we were tied. I checked at the start of Q2, we were up a bit. I had to go out, but felt 'we have this under control'. We didn't.

To add to the paid, France beat the US. I've not see the game, but yes I will lash out. Damian Lillard does not play winning basketball. It is not just that both countries lost, but it who they lost to.

I won't watch the hightlights. I am that pained.

Anyway, it might just work out for good if both (Naija & USA) win out from here and end up avoiding each other.

For Naija, FTs need to be better. We could have edged in front in the first quarter. Nothing spoil though. All the best to both teams going forward. They have to earn it now.
Last edited by truetalk on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

truetalk wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:46 pm I am in pains, I am in sifia pains. Australia and France have done me strong tin today.

First I could not find anywhere to watch the game. Not on Amazon, Apple TV, Youtube, Cable, nowhere. I settled for the FIBA website and livescore for tracking. I checked in the middle of Q1, we were down 7, I checked at the end of Q1, we were tied. I checked at the start of Q2, we were up a bit. I had to go out, but felt 'we have this under control'. We didn't.

To add to the paid, France beat the US. I've not see the game, but yes I will lash out. Damian Lillard dose not play winning basketball. It is not just that both countries lost, but it who they lost to.

I won't watch the hightlights. I am that pained.

Anyway, it might just work out for good if both (Naija & USA) win out from here and end up avoiding each other.

For Naija, FTs need to be better. We could have edged in front in the first quarter. Nothing spoil though. All the best to both teams going forward. They have to earn it now.
It was on regular TV, NBCSN I think.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

The game wasn’t live❗️

Cheers.
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

What's the deal with the team for Afrobasket 2021? I heard the NBA guys won't be available.
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

oyek wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:43 pm What's the deal with the team for Afrobasket 2021? I heard the NBA guys won't be available.
Different 'team' will be used for the Afrobasket 2021.

Anything short of the trophy will be classified as a failure.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

2nd game starting soon. Absolute 'Must Win', or we are done.

Concerns from the 1st game.

Minutes spread out too thin, with Guards seeing most of the action. (2 major problems here). No leaders on the court (Australia had Mills and Ingles with well over 30 minutes), so we can't settle into a rhythm. Jahlil can be a beast in the paint, but he only played 10 minutes, and significantly, made both of the Field Goals he attempted. I actually assumed he was going to be the No. option on offense.

If the coach wants to play 2 teams and 2 systems, he should do so, but the constant rotating in and out is bad for rhythm. We should work things inside more, and we can with our athleticism. Hopefully, with more time to get, we can also work things in the half court, and not forcing 6 or 7 threes per quarter.

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men ... b=boxscore
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

With the women, the US knew exactly what their strength was and beat us with it. Their frontcourt players were efficient and made all the difference.

Brittney Griner shot 4/4 and made 5/5 FTs. Sylvia Fowles shot 4/6, Aja Wilson shot 6/10, while Tina Charles shot 3/5. That is a massive 72% FG % between those four. That is where Akhator, Liz Williams and Nneka Ogwumike would have helped. Add Arike, and this team would have been sure bets for medals, and maybe as good as this US team.

Like the men, no margin for error. France and Japan will be extremely tough.

Ezinne Kalu played well and justified her Afrobasket MVP. Worried by the low rate of assists for a team that has been together for a while, although they did not turn the ball over too much as well.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

truetalk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:17 am 2nd game starting soon. Absolute 'Must Win', or we are done.

Minutes spread out too thin, with Guards seeing most of the action. (2 major problems here). No leaders on the court (Australia had Mills and Ingles with well over 30 minutes), so we can't settle into a rhythm. Jahlil can be a beast in the paint, but he only played 10 minutes, and significantly, made both of the Field Goals he attempted. I actually assumed he was going to be the No. option on offense.

If the coach wants to play 2 teams and 2 systems, he should do so, but the constant rotating in and out is bad for rhythm. We should work things inside more, and we can with our athleticism. Hopefully, with more time to get, we can also work things in the half court, and not forcing 6 or 7 threes per quarter.

Looks like Nigeria lost 92-99. Game was dead even at 74-74 going into the fourth quarter. D’Tigers now have to beat Italy for any hope of advancing❗️

Cheers.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

So maybe I was right?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:51 am
truetalk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:17 am 2nd game starting soon. Absolute 'Must Win', or we are done.

Looks like Nigeria lost 92-99. Game was dead even at 74-74 going into the fourth quarter. D’Tigers now have to beat Italy for any hope of advancing❗️

Cheers.
It doesn't "look like", we LOST. You might have to admit you over estimated our capabilities, for a new look team.
You and Futcha will be having that discussion. :biggrin:

It might have been premature to be talking about them getting a medal in this competition.
Anyways, lets see what the rest of the tournament holds.
I was content for them to be very competitive in every game but BB experts like yourself gave us a sense of falsehood. Now I'm having to readjust, not to see them as a disappointment.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

kalani JR wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:20 am So maybe I was right?
you were wrong, Naija is the friendly/exhibition gold medal winners.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

King Futcha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:13 pm
Yeah Truey got me there. I would credit Diana too but **** that!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

All the best to the Girls. They are shorthanded in the frontcourt with Akhator out, but this is a team of fighters, and I am not counting them out.

I just wanted to get this out before the game against France.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

King Futcha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:13 pm
You've suddenly found your voice.

The players are solid and in terms of what is available, we are 80%-90% there.

Sadly, the team has been let down by the bench. I am shocked, appalled and disappointed by the coaching failures. Totally unexpected. I assumed Mike Brown would use this as solid claim for an NBA Head coaching job. It has been a disaster.

2 straight 4th quarter collapses suggests a team that was completely outcoached. Mike Brown was suggesting Defensive intensity during the friendlies, but this team has had little defensive identity and is giving up 90 points per game. A Nigerian team made up of college players like Ekene Ibekwe of Maryland, at the time, beat Germany with Dirk at the World Cup, and they are losing badly to this German team with 8 NBA players? Too bad.

I thought Jahlil would be the 'go to' guy for the offense. He only played 11 minutes in the first game (2 of 2 shooting) and 13 minutes (3 of 4 shooting, 3/3 FTs) in the 2nd game.

So, the one guy who has proven to be unstoppable (as I said he would) with an 83% FG % and 100% FT % is only averaging 12 minutes. I complained about the high number of 3's against Australia, and the team actually topped it up by attempting more 3's than 2's against Germany. This suggests the coach is not looking at the half-court, pick & roll and other traditional set plays, and is looking to 'hero ball' to win. Well this is not Golden State and we don't have Steph and Klay.

We've been clearly outrebounded in both games, despite our Athleticism. This was not the case, even in the games we lost in the last FIBA World Cup.

I was not happy with the coaching change (I said it on this thread), but I did not expect this at all.

The team has a young core, but the administration needs to have a group of 25 or so players signed to a rolling 2 year national team commitment. It will help the team develop an identity, and also let a larger quality pool commit to the Qualifiers and Afrobasket as well

Too bad this opportunity seems to have slipped away before it even started (unless we beat Italy by double digits, though we may need help from the Aussies(Here I go calculating again)). Hopefully, they are not too discouraged, and a proper administrative structure to help build the team and grow the game emerges.
Last edited by truetalk on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

truetalk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 am All the best to the Girls. They are shorthanded in the frontcourt with Akhator out, but this is a team of fighters, and I am not counting them out.

I just wanted to get this out before the game against France.
The girls seems to always start slowly. Hopefully they finish strong enough to defeat France
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

44-27 at the end of 2nd quarter!