Mexico 1 vs Holland 2.....coach's naiveness 'kills' Mexico

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Mexico 1 vs Holland 0........Mexico might upset the Oran

Post by mcal »

GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:Two goals after the sub justifies the both changes by the Dutch's Pa Oni.
...intelligent dutch pa Oni :biggrin:
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mmeny wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mmeny wrote:
mate wrote:What can one say? That was a BS penalty. You don't give such a call so late in the game.

You can argue about that legitimate penalty not being given for the Dutch at the end of the 1st half. Still, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

At the end of the day, you have to call it like it is. The referee materially impacted this game. Like I said, Mexico deserved to play for a win...as opposed to lose in the dying minutes on a bad penalty call.

Again, I respect the Dutch. They're overall the better team. But today Mexico was at least as good, if not better. All I'm saying is that the teams should be allowed to play for the win...as opposed to being gifted it.

Cheers, Mate
Going by what you just said.. If Holland are awarded the penalty they still win the game 2-1 with Sneijder late strike. Seems like you disappointed because you didn't get the outcome you wanted.
Football is not mathematics :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: perhaps at 1-1, the dnamics of the game would have been different, and that particular chance would probably not have fallen to Sneijder, who might have been subbed?
My point is simple.. let's not act like Holland where not legitimately denied a chance to take a lead in this game in the first half. Like you said, football is not mathematics, Holland would have gone into the half with a lead and might have sat back expecting Mexico to open up so they can hit them on the counter win the game by 2 or more goals or would have lost it as well we do not know but lets not make it look like Holland where not also NOT DENIED a goal scoring opportunity.

So all this Mexico was robbed blah blah or it was a dive is incorrect... he embellished it for sure but Marquez CLIPPED ROBBEN
the part in red is what we should be debating, rather than muddying the waters with what could have been. What may have happened is pure speculation, and an exercise in futility.

:D :D You see yourself now..When you said "Sneijder might have been subbed off" what were you doing there speculating or not? Now you wanna debate whether Robben was clipped.

Well lets go, Robben was clipped are you saying he wasn't?
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

mmeny wrote:
green4life wrote:Robben is disgusting. Rewatching the replays on his dive. JJ says Mexico was robbed and I agree.
Really? If Holland had gone out because of non PK call in the first half.. would you also agree they were robbed. How were Mexico robbed? The game was tied 1-1 it was headed to extra time. I am sorry I still see Holland beating them in the extra time especially when the Mexican Coach has subbed off the team's driving force in Dos Santos.
Listen, Robben is actually one of my favorite players but today he took his act to an unbearable level. Every little contact was an opportunity to go airborne like a ball shot out of a cannon. Every contact in the box isn't pk or else there'd be multiple pks every game. When you embellish contact, good refs don't reward the play acting. Robben was play acting all game long once he entered the box. Where you saw pks, I saw a player diving. Ref saw it as well until he got fooled on the last effort.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

mmeny wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mmeny wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mmeny wrote:
mate wrote:What can one say? That was a BS penalty. You don't give such a call so late in the game.

You can argue about that legitimate penalty not being given for the Dutch at the end of the 1st half. Still, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

At the end of the day, you have to call it like it is. The referee materially impacted this game. Like I said, Mexico deserved to play for a win...as opposed to lose in the dying minutes on a bad penalty call.

Again, I respect the Dutch. They're overall the better team. But today Mexico was at least as good, if not better. All I'm saying is that the teams should be allowed to play for the win...as opposed to being gifted it.

Cheers, Mate
Going by what you just said.. If Holland are awarded the penalty they still win the game 2-1 with Sneijder late strike. Seems like you disappointed because you didn't get the outcome you wanted.
Football is not mathematics :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: perhaps at 1-1, the dnamics of the game would have been different, and that particular chance would probably not have fallen to Sneijder, who might have been subbed?
My point is simple.. let's not act like Holland where not legitimately denied a chance to take a lead in this game in the first half. Like you said, football is not mathematics, Holland would have gone into the half with a lead and might have sat back expecting Mexico to open up so they can hit them on the counter win the game by 2 or more goals or would have lost it as well we do not know but lets not make it look like Holland where not also NOT DENIED a goal scoring opportunity.

So all this Mexico was robbed blah blah or it was a dive is incorrect... he embellished it for sure but Marquez CLIPPED ROBBEN
the part in red is what we should be debating, rather than muddying the waters with what could have been. What may have happened is pure speculation, and an exercise in futility.

:D :D You see yourself now..When you said "Sneijder might have been subbed off" what were you doing there speculating or not? Now you wanna debate whether Robben was clipped.

Well lets go, Robben was clipped are you saying he wasn't?

you entirely missed my point...never mind! "Sneijder's possible substitution" was in support of the argument that the game is not predictable...
Last edited by Chief Ogbunigwe on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

soothsayer wrote:Robben does have a second career as a stunt man.....
he overdramatise his dive, even the legitimate penalty calls he makes look like dive!!
The most rational post amidst many emotion-laden posts.

Was Robben clipped? - Yes
Did that impact his ability to continue his attack? - Yes
Was it a penalty? - Yes
Did he embellish his fall? - Yes
Did that make it less of a penalty? - No

Mexico have two people to blame - Herrera first and foremost and then Marquez.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Watch Brazil's players flop like crazy inside the box in their coming games. They are bound to get another match-winning PK.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

I cannot believe that someone said that Mexico was punching above their weight.
Mexicans can hold their heads high in defeat.
One thing we can ALL agree on is that like Bo, Mexico knows football.
-Simpli fy -
brigadoon
Egg
Egg

Post by brigadoon »

Heliopolis wrote:Herrara made a fatal error by subbing out Dos Santos...in the 60th minute!?!?!?!

Coaches often forget that attacking players also hold defensive functions. Dos Santos was tiring out the Dutch defence and was spreading them out. He was also one of the few Mexicans capable of holding up the ball and giving the Mexican defenders time to rest. Subbing him off today reminded me of Argentina's decision to sub off Riquelme vs Germany in the 2006 WC QFs.

The PK against Mexico was bogus but bad things happen when you invite pressure. Mexico stopped playing football in the 60th minute allowing Holland over 30 minutes to get back in the match.

I really think Mexico would have given itself a serious chance to close out the match had they stuck with the same approach they used for the first 50 minutes of the match. The Dutch were frustrated while Mexico was controlling the tempo. Mexico let control of the steering wheel and Holland seized the moment.

Even if the PK wasnt awarded, only one team seemed capable of scoring. I think Holland would've scored again in extra time.

Marquez was a major liability all day. He needs to hang up his national team boots.

Congrats to Holland...they will end up in the semis and I like their chances against anyone in the Argentina/Swiss/Belg/USA bracket.
Couldn't agree more. I put this loss down to the poor substitution by the Mexican coach.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote:
green4life wrote:Robben is disgusting. Rewatching the replays on his dive. JJ says Mexico was robbed and I agree.

The onus is not on Robben to avoid contact or not to take advantage of it, ONCE THE DEFENDER ENGAGES THROUGH A TACKLE.

I'm not disgusted at Robben; I am disgusted at the stupidity of a player of Marquez's experience!
Bro, Robben dragged his right foot (not the left) as he dove over Marques. He had gotten by him but was surrounded. The next best option was simulate a foul. That was disgusting. Anyway I'll remember this thread the next time you complain about a player diving :mrgreen:
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

asabe wrote:I watched this game with no pressure, since both teams played good football and anyone of them could advance.

In the game of football at the highest level you create your own luck, and also need some luck. Van Gaal is one of the great tactical coaches and the adjustments he made at half time enabled the Dutch to start dominating. Mexico found the lanes blocked and the freedom they had in the 1st half was curtailed.

As for the penalty Marquez made a mistake, he should not given the ref a reason to make a decision. Robben was fouled, and sold it well.
KPOM. The defender impeded him even is slightly and Robben made the most of it with an exaggerated fall.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

theDunamis wrote:
he overdramatise his dive, even the legitimate penalty calls he makes look like dive!!

Was it a penalty? - Yes

There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Strict enforcement of the former trumped the latter. Incidental contact was made, but NO WAY near enough to upend Robben, who sold it shamelessly.

I keep watching the replay. Hell, if officials always called that, the game would be ridden with penalties.

Again, Mexico and us fans were robbed of an opportunity to see this game played out fairly. Kudos to a great Dutch team, who systematically clawed their way back and took the initiative...but man, let it be played out like it's meant to be.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:
txj wrote:

The onus is not on Robben to avoid contact or not to take advantage of it, ONCE THE DEFENDER ENGAGES THROUGH A TACKLE.

I'm not disgusted at Robben; I am disgusted at the stupidity of a player of Marquez's experience!
Bro, Robben dragged his right foot (not the left) as he dove over Marques. He had gotten by him but was surrounded. The next best option was simulate a foul. That was disgusting. Anyway I'll remember this thread the next time you complain about a player diving :mrgreen:

quick question:

If Marquez had not made that tackle do u think a PK would've been awarded?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

theDunamis wrote:

Was it a penalty? - Yes

Robben is no doubt footballs version of Eddie Guerrero but....

Marquez matched the stupidity of the CIV player on Samaras. There is a game within a game in the box, to naively toss your legs out in the desperate attempt to nick the ball against of all players Robben.....STUPID!!!!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

theDunamis wrote:

Was it a penalty? - Yes

OK. I will go back and look at the replays again. It appeared to me like a clear dive. I was just praising him a few moments earlier when the defender "set" leg and he jumped over it, rather than "get tripped". Perhaps, it was because he knew had control of the ball and a clear shot on goal if he evaded the tackle?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

LOS Patriotas!
LOS Combatientes!
LOS Honourables!

Thank you for making 2014 memorable!
Last edited by GREENWHITEGREEN on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Simpli fy -
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

green4life wrote:
mmeny wrote:
Really? If Holland had gone out because of non PK call in the first half.. would you also agree they were robbed. How were Mexico robbed? The game was tied 1-1 it was headed to extra time. I am sorry I still see Holland beating them in the extra time especially when the Mexican Coach has subbed off the team's driving force in Dos Santos.
Listen, Robben is actually one of my favorite players but today he took his act to an unbearable level. Every little contact was an opportunity to go airborne like a ball shot out of a cannon. Every contact in the box isn't pk or else there'd be multiple pks every game. When you embellish contact, good refs don't reward the play acting. Robben was play acting all game long once he entered the box. Where you saw pks, I saw a player diving. Ref saw it as well until he got fooled on the last effort.
Referees are there to call fouls and could careless about players exaggerated falling motion. Robben was clipped in the box and the ref rightly signaled to the spot. Are you saying because Robben was play acting all game long when he actually gets fouled the ref shouldn't call it?

Somehow, everyone has forgotten that the ref actually denied Holland a clear cut penalty in the first half.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:

quick question:

Is tackling in the box forbidden? Does tackle + dive = PK?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

theDunamis wrote:

Was it a penalty? - Yes

Some people are just mad and disappointed they didn't get the result they wanted. Substitute Nigeria for Netherlands and they all will be singing a different tune.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
theDunamis wrote:

Was it a penalty? - Yes

Robben is no doubt footballs version of Eddie Guerrero but....

Marquez matched the stupidity of the CIV player on Samaras. There is a game within a game in the box, to naively toss your legs out in the desperate attempt to nick the ball against of all players Robben.....STUPID!!!!!!

Those penalties are not even comparable. The CIV defender CLEARLY impeded the Greek taking the shot. Marquez barely made contact with Robben. I need to see more angle, but for now, all I see is a slight stub of the toe. At the very least, I don't see how it impeded Robben?

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:

quick question:

Is tackling in the box forbidden? Does tackle + dive = PK?
Chief why you dey yab like this.. tackling is not the same as fouling.. Yes fouling in the box is forbidden=PK
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:I cannot believe that someone said that Mexico was punching above their weight.
Mexicans can hold their heads high in defeat.
One thing we can ALL agree on is that like Bo, Mexico knows football.
I agree that Mexico knows football. But I want to reiterate that it is BS to say they should hold their heads high or that they tried. Getting to second round is not an achievement for Mexico. They get there all the time. An improvement would have been a quarter final. They are still mentally weak on this stage.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mexico 1 vs Holland 2.....coach's naiveness 'kills' Mexi

Post by Cristao II »

That is one goal for Team Cristao II.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

mmeny wrote:
green4life wrote:
mmeny wrote:
Referees are there to call fouls and could careless about players exaggerated falling motion. Robben was clipped in the box and the ref rightly signaled to the spot. Are you saying because Robben was play acting all game long when he actually gets fouled the ref shouldn't call it?

Somehow, everyone has forgotten that the ref actually denied Holland a clear cut penalty in the first half.
Clear cut pk in the first half? Go on ahead bro :lol: