Scouting Iran and Bosnia H

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Scouting Iran and Bosnia H

Post by The YeyeMan »

Babayaro wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Nkrumah forehead.. you don come again as babayaro
I don't get that.
I did love watching Celestine in Chelsea shirt... Also, Babayaro sounds really African to the Bosnian ear, one more reason to somehow like it ;)
Nobody gets him, so don't worry. Welcome! :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

This group is actually very similar to Nigeria's group at the Confederations Cup:

1) One team who everyone thinks will be the group whipping boys (Iran/Tahiti).

2) A well drilled, compact and talented team with dangerous forwards (Dzeko/Suarez) and rugged veterans at the back (Spahic/Lugano), who Nigeria can beat IF they play exceptionally well.

3) A world class team full of star players that Nigeria has little chance of defeating (Argentina/Spain).
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

In terms of the Strike Force

Ibisevic has more creative power for Bosnia, that we need to be weary of! People are talking about Dzeko, but this other chap will also be a nightmare.

In the midfield Pjanic will also be another key threat in terms of creating chances

Then there is also this man Sejad Salihović, who will add to the offensive firepower....coming from deep! Unlike in the Bundesliga, the Bosnian coach Susic prefer to deploy him as a Leftback!

The good thing for Nigeria though, is that we can expect the Bosnians to be less defensively solid than the Greeks! Our CB pairing will have to be on the top of their game, while our CF and secondary forwards will have to finish off their own chances! Mikel and Onazi will have to be at their very best, because the Bosnians are very free flowing and we need to win this match in the midfield!
Last edited by Tbite on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

[/video]

[/video]

This chap paired Pjanic in two matches. Sejad Salihović will not be pairing Pjanic....but rather sitting further back. This man Besic is one to look out for.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
iworo
Egg
Egg
Iran's hopes of glory in Brazil rest on Gucci

Post by iworo »

Gucci is %$#@^& fun. He's one of those players whose confidence outpaces his talent, but he's also a worm, with the seemingly innate ability to find holes and crannies in front of goal to exploit and score. Gucci's been on a tear for his country, and he scored in each of Team Melli's final, decisive three World Cup qualifying matches. Like many forwards in his mold, win or lose, Gucci will probably get his at the World Cup.

[/video]

I'm the biggest name in football... but friends call me 'Gucci', says Charlton's Iranian striker Ghoochannejhad

It is pronounced ‘Gooch-an-ee-chad’, in case you were wondering. Charlton Athletic striker Reza Ghoochannejhad boasts the longest surname in English football.
He will face the likes of Argentina’s Lionel Messi and Edin Dzeko of Bosnia and Manchester City at the World Cup with Iran this summer, so we better get used to it.
Good luck to all commentators, pundits and Sky’s Soccer Saturday panel getting the hang of this particular moniker.

Long name... long way to go? Reza Ghoochannejhad is a new name in English football at Charlton

Ghoochannejhad, 26, is set to make his FA Cup debut against Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow after joining Charlton from Standard Liege in January, one of four imports from the Belgians during the window. Businessman Roland Duchatelet now owns both clubs after taking over at The Valley last month.
For £12.95 you can have ‘any name and number’ printed on your Charlton replica shirt, but Ghoochannejhad has opted to wear ‘Reza’ on his back. He has been nicknamed ‘Gucci’ in his native Iran, yet seems slightly embarrassed with the connection to the luxury designer brand.
Charlton fans have already come up with a possible solution: ‘We’re calling him Dave,’ is the striker’s mooted new song at The Valley.
‘My last name is . . . very long,’ says Ghoochannejhad, smiling. ‘They gave me the nickname “Gucci” in Iran and the people here took it over. It’s not something I made up. Believe me, it has nothing to do with the brand — it’s just to shorten my name.
‘The lads sometimes make fun of me, but so be it. It’s too long to put on my shirt. Diego Poyet (the Charlton midfielder) told me this morning it’s the longest surname in the history of British football.
‘It’s OK, but people can call me Reza. It’s up to the fans to make up chants with Reza — that’s probably easier!’ He takes it all in good humour, delivering answers in softly spoken, immaculate English — one of four languages in which he is fluent. Ghoochannejhad only gave up reading law three years ago when he moved from SC Cambuur in Holland to Belgian club Sint-Truidense and may pick up his academic studies after football.

Bring on Messi: The Charlton man will be at the World Cup with Iran this summer

He also enjoys playing Iranian songs on the violin, piano and guitar — ‘Not perfectly, though. I’d like to say people saw me as the next Mozart, but it’s not true!’
Ghoochannejhad was born in Iran, but his football education began in Holland when his parents moved the family to Leeuwarden when the striker was eight and his elder brother Mehdi, now a physiotherapist, was 13.
Ghoochannejhad represented Holland at Under 15 to Under 23 level, but then came the call from former Manchester United coach and Real Madrid manager Carlos Queiroz, now in charge of Iran. ‘It was a very easy choice to switch,’ says Ghoochannejhad. ‘I was raised with both cultures but deep in my heart there is also Iranian pride.
‘We had a chit-chat and the manager said, “I think you can help me, if you feel you want to wear the jersey. If you’re proud enough to wear the jersey, give me a call”.
‘I said, “I don’t need to call you back. I’ll tell you ‘Yes’ right now”.’

New surroundings: 'Gucci' played for Holland in his youth, but switched to play for Iran

Ghoochannejhad scored in each of Iran’s final three qualification games to ensure his nation’s passage to this summer’s World Cup in Brazil. Queiroz’s side face Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Nigeria in the group stages but, although Ghoochannejhad names Messi as one of his role models, he will not think that far ahead. For now, he insists his priority is to help keep Charlton in the second tier.

It was Ghoochannejhad’s childhood dream to play in England, yet he joins a side three points adrift of safety in the Championship — albeit with two games in hand. Charlton have not won a league game since Boxing Day, but have knocked Oxford United and Huddersfield out of the Cup. Boss Chris Powell, whose picture as a Charlton player adorns the walls at the training ground, is under pressure, but Ghoochannejhad pleads for time.

Battle: He has been getting used to the physical nature of the Championship

He said: ‘It’s a boy’s dream to play in England, and also with Charlton, a club where I will have good opportunities to play. That was a very important issue for me. I don’t feel pressure. I’m here to help the other lads out. I’m one of them.
‘It’s going to take time to get used to each other — the players, the gaffer — and I hope that time’s going to be given. The FA Cup can help, of course. If we can win, it will be good for confidence and I’m excited about playing in it.
‘At this moment I’m only thinking about Charlton. When the World Cup comes, we’ll see. The first thing we must do is make sure Charlton are safe. After that I can enjoy the World Cup because it’s not something that is given to everybody.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ejhad.html
http://screamer.deadspin.com/in-brazil- ... regHoward1
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Apparently, some of the Bosnian staff were attacked by thieves in Brazil and the police intervened

http://www.klix.ba/sport/nogomet/selekt ... /140609152
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Workman
Egg
Egg
Re: Iran's hopes of glory in Brazil rest on Gucci

Post by Workman »

Thank you my brother. It seems we are too focused on ourselves to present the "optimal team". Loosing to Iran may be shocking but it need not be if we don't have adequate analysis of them and present a formation/gameplan that is specific for them. Same for Bosnia which may even be tougher.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the matter, Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. "
Ecclesiastes 12:13

popular quote- "Every Good deed will not go unpunished"
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

...ooooooh...I'm sifrin*.. :lol:

Ps
*"shivering" wiff Ibadan accent
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

paj wrote:...ooooooh...I'm sifrin*.. :lol:

Ps
*"shivering" wiff Ibadan accent
Ibadan? I thought you were from West London.

Pop quiz (do not use google): What is the name of the biggest professional football club in Ibadan?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
can04
Egg
Egg
Bleacher Report on Iran: How they may line up against SE

Post by can04 »

Bleacher Report on Iran: How they may line up against SE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2091 ... st-nigeria
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

wiseone wrote:This group is actually very similar to Nigeria's group at the Confederations Cup:

2) A well drilled, compact and talented team with dangerous forwards (Dzeko/Suarez) and rugged veterans at the back (Spahic/Lugano), who Nigeria can beat IF they play exceptionally well.

3) A world class team full of star players that Nigeria has little chance of defeating (Argentina/Spain).
I prefer a comparison to our group at the last World Cup.

Argentina = Argentina
Bosnia = South Korea
Iran = Greece

Iran is not Tahiti, and while I expect us to beat them, I also expected us to beat Greece in 2010. We need to take them seriously, and play against them as if we acknowledge the possibility of losing. Our worst matches in terms of performance tend to come against teams that we expect to walk-over without much effort .... though the low-effort approach only really works against Kenya and South Africa. And lately our matches against Kenya have been getting tighter, probably because they approach us the way you would someone who keeps beating you 3-0, while we approach them like a team we expect to beat 3-0 without really trying.

The match with Bosnia, like that with South Korea in 2010, is the anticipated "Cup final". Last time around a good result against South Korea could have gotten us into the Second Round. I expect the same will be true this time around.

Argentina explains itself. This will be the 4th time we've played them. We lost the first 3, and lost to Paraguay when they deputized for Argentina in 1998. Every four years this forum's members declare they don't really think Argentina is that good, and only cowards would think that they are favoured to win. From a realistic perspective, hopefully by the time we play them, Nigeria and Argentina both have 6 points, while Bosnia and Iran can only get a maximum of 3 from beating each other .... so the match is a scrimmage where both teams rest key players (i.e. Ameobi gets to play :lol: ).
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

This group is stronger than our last World Cup group.

Bosnia is better than South Korea............Greece and Iran....negligible.

and Argentina is once again there! Our last World Cup group was a joke..the fact that we didn't qualify, should go down as one of the biggest sporting failures in Nigerian history!

This group is a bit stronger.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I agree with you. This group is tougher than Nigeria's 2010 group. Bosnia is better than Greece and South Korea. Let us not forget that Iran qualified for this World Cup by beating South Korea home and away.

Then scary as it sounds, this squad is not as strong as the 2010 squad (thanks to Keshi's strange selections).
Tbite wrote:This group is stronger than our last World Cup group.

and Argentina is once again there! Our last World Cup group was a joke..the fact that we didn't qualify, should go down as one of the biggest sporting failures in Nigerian history!

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

wiseone wrote:I agree with you. This group is tougher than Nigeria's 2010 group. Bosnia is better than Greece and South Korea. Let us not forget that Iran qualified for this World Cup by beating South Korea home and away.

Then scary as it sounds, this squad is not as strong as the 2010 squad (thanks to Keshi's strange selections).
Tbite wrote:This group is stronger than our last World Cup group.

i dont know about that...a lot of the 2010 Squad did not perform! Lagerback had Kaita as a bit of a joker...he was meant to terrorize that right wing, after impressing in training prior to the World Cup, that did not really pan out. Lukman Haruna was supposed to be a wonderkid and although he was not bad, he was not great either! Kalu Uche was on form, but his brother was average. Obafemi Martins was also not at his best, if he was, he would have scored at least once.....Oba went 1 V 1 with the keeper and wasted a glorious chance! Yakubu was lackadaisical as always (One of the most prolific African strikers in Europe and still one of Nigeria's top scorers, but the guy is lazy).

The defense was a joke....Afolabi had no business in the World Cup and neither did Danny Shittu, who was just flopping around. We did not have Mikel in defense due to injury. Victor Obinna was just same old Victor Obinna.....he has a lot of desire and power in his shot....but the guy was just shooting wildly. One of those efforts could have taken us to the 2nd round, but at the end of the day...Obinna is just a gra gra player. Odemwingie was slightly more purposeful...but all in all our forwards left a lot to be desired.

Kanu Nwankwo featured a bit....he is perhaps the most confident SE player I have ever seen on the ball...and I say this, because even in his last caps as an SE player..he was still just as comfortable as he was in his prime! Mikel and Kanu are just beyond confident on the ball! But with that said...that is where the praise really stops for me....once again Kanu was not abysmal...but not great either.

This was largely just a gra gra team.......and a very inefficient one at that.

fastforward to 2014....We still have Enyeama in goal..so no drop off there....we have Emenike, who I rate higher today than of the forwards we paraded in 2010. We have Mikel and Onazi.....who are better than what we paraded in midfield before! Granted they have not been firing on all cylinders in the friendlies..but that is okay, they will peak in the tournament proper! We have Omeruo, Oboabona and Ambrose who are better than what we paraded in South Africa! The only drop off in defense is probably at left back! Taiwo is better than Oshaniwa. also tactically....we do have better link up play, although we have not shown the cutting edge in the friendlies.

The only thing I will say about the 2010 team..is that they were more decisive in the final third...yes they F** things up, but they tried something...anything! From the friendlies....this Keshi team, does not complete their attacks! They just press and then turnover! you just do not see that in football!

So yes if we continue in that fashion, that aspect will be a drop off....but I do not think we will, I think will be working on this communication issues in training.

As far as overall squad depth goes though...I think the 2010 squad was more balanced. Afolabi and Shittu were wastepipes...but everyone else really were at a reasonable standard....so less dead weights.

Group Difficulty - 2014 more difficult
Squad Depth - 2010 more balanced
Starting XI - 2014
Attacking directness - 2010 (base on 2014 friendlies.....if we use the Confed Cup or the ANC, 2014 is better)
Attacking efficiency - Well 2014 are not creating enough clear cut chances...to really make the comparison..but I have more faith in Nwofor and Emenike than say Oba, Yak etc on their 2010 form.
Fluidity of movement - 2014
Defensive integrity - 2014 are better.....(but not if they exhibit the communication errors we saw in the friendlies)

I say this team is better...BUT it will be more difficult to qualify this time around...2010 was a VERY easy group....we simply F** things up. No way we should not have qualified in 2010.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The Eagle wrote:
wiseone wrote:This group is actually very similar to Nigeria's group at the Confederations Cup:

Argentina = Argentina
Bosnia = South Korea
Iran = Greece

Iran is not Tahiti, and while I expect us to beat them, I also expected us to beat Greece in 2010. We need to take them seriously, and play against them as if we acknowledge the possibility of losing. Our worst matches in terms of performance tend to come against teams that we expect to walk-over without much effort .... though the low-effort approach only really works against Kenya and South Africa. And lately our matches against Kenya have been getting tighter, probably because they approach us the way you would someone who keeps beating you 3-0, while we approach them like a team we expect to beat 3-0 without really trying.

The match with Bosnia, like that with South Korea in 2010, is the anticipated "Cup final". Last time around a good result against South Korea could have gotten us into the Second Round. I expect the same will be true this time around.

Argentina explains itself. This will be the 4th time we've played them. We lost the first 3, and lost to Paraguay when they deputized for Argentina in 1998. Every four years this forum's members declare they don't really think Argentina is that good, and only cowards would think that they are favoured to win. From a realistic perspective, hopefully by the time we play them, Nigeria and Argentina both have 6 points, while Bosnia and Iran can only get a maximum of 3 from beating each other .... so the match is a scrimmage where both teams rest key players (i.e. Ameobi gets to play :lol: ).
Comparisons with the last WC and CC both add up - although CC arguably holds stronger similarity in that the games get tougher as we go along.

I expect the Iran game will be close but Nigeria to win by a narrow margin. Nigeria has enough to beat Iran comfortably but rarely hits those gears. The most recent example was vs B. Faso at the ANC 2013 semis.

As you say, the Bosnia game will likely be our 'cup final'. Meanwhile, Argentina will likely beat Nigeria whatever the weather.

So it's down to the Bosnia game and although I'm leaning towards Bosnia it's too close to call to give a definitive conclusion on how that'll end it up. I think there'll be a winner...
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

442 :D when did we play B.faso in the semis :rotf: eye service
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
The Eagle wrote:

Argentina = Argentina
Bosnia = South Korea
Iran = Greece

Comparisons with the last WC and CC both add up - although CC arguably holds stronger similarity in that the games get tougher as we go along.

I expect the Iran game will be close but Nigeria to win by a narrow margin. Nigeria has enough to beat Iran comfortably but rarely hits those gears. The most recent example was vs B. Faso at the ANC 2013 semis.

As you say, the Bosnia game will likely be our 'cup final'. Meanwhile, Argentina will likely beat Nigeria whatever the weather.

So it's down to the Bosnia game and although I'm leaning towards Bosnia it's too close to call to give a definitive conclusion on how that'll end it up. I think there'll be a winner...
442 :D when did we play B.faso in the semis. You see your life
SuperEagles

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
The Eagle wrote:

Argentina = Argentina
Bosnia = South Korea
Iran = Greece

442 :D when did we play B.faso in the semis. You see your life
I mean Mali.

PS: My life's great. I'll be having a whale of a time in Brazil next week. :D

How's yours?

danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

442 :D, what the heck is that. What evil did you just post, .smh at the gros thing.by the way don't derail the thread.
SuperEagles

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Pretender! :lol:

It's your mirror reflection.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Good news.

We won't be the only ones missing a CB. Their captain and #1 CB, Emir Spahic will likely miss the game with injury too.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

That is a HUGE absence for Bosnia. Spahic is their rock at the back.
:shock:
platinum wrote:Good news.

We won't be the only ones missing a CB. Their captain and #1 CB, Emir Spahic will likely miss the game with injury too.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

wiseone wrote:That is a HUGE absence for Bosnia. Spahic is their rock at the back.
:shock:
platinum wrote:Good news.

Yup. Apart from his physical skills, mentally he's a rock for them. They're working hard to get him back but the chances are fair that he'll miss out. They could play bicakcic, vranjes or sunjic in his stead or move kolasinac there or drop besic there too, they have options but none like spahic.