Africa's best hope! Cote D'Ivoire World Cup Squad

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mouko
Egg
Egg
Re: Africa's best hope! Cote D'Ivoire World Cup Squad

Post by mouko »

Jaidi wrote:The squad:

Goalkeepers: Copa Barry (Lokeren), Gbohouo Sylvain (Sewe Sport), Sayouba Mandé (Stabaek), Badra Ali (ASEC Mimosas).

Defenders: Kolo Touré (Liverpool), Bamba Souleyman (Trabzonspor), Jean Daniel Akpa Akpro (Toulouse), Arthur Boka (Stuttgart), Serge Aurier (Toulouse), Brice Dja Djédjé (Marseille), Didier Zokora (Trabzonspor), Benjamin Angoua Brou (Valenciennes), Ousman Vieira (Caykur Rizespor).

Midfielders: Cheick Tioté (Newcastle), Yaya Touré (Manchester City), Romaric (Bastia), Max-Alain Gradel (St Etienne), Ismaël Diomandé (St Etienne), Didier Ya Konan (Hannover 96), Constant Djakpa (Eintracht Frankfurt), Geoffroy Serey Dié (Basel).

Strikers: Wilfried Bony (Swansea), Didier Drogba (Galatasaray), Gervinho (Roma), Giovanni Sio (Basel), Seydou Doumbia (CSKA Moscow), Lacina Traoré (Monaco), Salomon Kalou (Lille).

I predict a quarterfinal appearance for this squad. I hope Lamouchi grows a backbone and gives Bony pitch time!
Finally out of the limelight, this could actually be the year CIV does something. All that pressure of favorites, greatest African team is all gone now. Even the CIV media has climbed down some not much hype anymore even the public too.
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Ebue deserves to be in this team than Kolo Toure..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

metalalloy wrote:
Ekorian wrote:I don't know when Africans will learn that success in football takes more than assembling household names. Strongest on paper and the weakest group according to pundits but underrate Colombia, Greece and Japan at your own peril...
There is also the danger of overrating the opposition as well. CIV has some players who have been together for almost 10 years now. They have a true game changer in Yaya Toure who is in the prime of his career, and they have avoided being placed in impossible group for the first time since they started qualifying for the WC. I really like their chances in that group. Any 2 of the 4 can qualify out of that group.
Nigeria did well in the AFCON because we were underrated. It's better to go into a tournament as an underdog than to have the weight of the world on your shoulder. The same Yaya became a passenger against Nigeria during the AFCON. They weren't really impressive in the World Cup Qualifiers until they met Togo. Who would have thunk that Denmark or even Greece would disgrace Nigeria at the World stage!I'm just warning against writing any team off. .....
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

Ekorian wrote:I don't know when Africans will learn that success in football takes more than assembling household names. Strongest on paper and the weakest group according to pundits but underrate Colombia, Greece and Japan at your own peril...
Greece is garbage, you cannot convince me otherwise. Colombia and Japan are good teams but CIV certainly is more than good enough to match their level and get out of the group.

As much as people call them chokers, they performed well in two incredibly tough groups their past two World Cups.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ekorian wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
There is also the danger of overrating the opposition as well. CIV has some players who have been together for almost 10 years now. They have a true game changer in Yaya Toure who is in the prime of his career, and they have avoided being placed in impossible group for the first time since they started qualifying for the WC. I really like their chances in that group. Any 2 of the 4 can qualify out of that group.
Nigeria did well in the AFCON because we were underrated. It's better to go into a tournament as an underdog than to have the weight of the world on your shoulder. The same Yaya became a passenger against Nigeria during the AFCON. They weren't really impressive in the World Cup Qualifiers until they met Togo. Who would have thunk that Denmark or even Greece would disgrace Nigeria at the World stage!I'm just warning against writing any team off. .....

Yea i hear you.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

juventuss wrote:The team looks loaded on paper.
They always do but on the green grass where it matters the most they always come up short...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Robbynice wrote:
They always do but on the green grass where it matters the most they always come up short...
:agree: I dont know when people will learn.This is a team that with all their loaded names still dream to win ANC in 6 times with best loaded team in all the ANC.
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

kajifu wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
:agree: I dont know when people will learn.This is a team that with all their loaded names still dream to win ANC in 6 times with best loaded team in all the ANC.
How many ANC's did Ghana win these past two decades? Who was the best performing African team for the past two world cups?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

IVC will do well this time (since they did not (as usual) get an absolute horror Group of Death). They can match most teams in midfield and attack. However I agree with you that their GK is the weak link and their defence is not exactly impregnable.
metalalloy wrote:
Jaidi wrote:I see three old players. Zokora, Drogba, and Kolo. Not a guarantee all three will start either. Other than that the team is young or players in their prime.
They have quite a few legs close to 30 and over. Apart from Yaya who is 31 but a freak of nature and in the best form of his life, the rest below are a bit on the older side of things
Copa Barry- 34. Weakest point in the team. Old and a waste pipe even when he was young. When queenie proclaimed him as the best keeper in Africa, that was the final confirmation of his utter uselessness
Romaric- 30 year old midfielder
Arthur Boka 31 year old defender
You also have a few people like Die -29, Kalouseless -28 who are close to 30.

Anyway, ill be rooting for them. This generation deserves to do something worth remembering as one of the top African teams of our time. This is the last time for them to prove it.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Their half backs are really good. Djakpa and Aurier will work well. Midfield is loaded and their attacks is good. The glaring hole is at the central defensive position.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Juventuss, don't tell me that you are one of those that is infatuated with a list of names.

That team is too old... they will wilt.

Mexico showed how to run them ragged and drag them out of position... with zero recovery skills. They will once again play Yaya too far forward that they will lose his effectiveness...

Old men don't do well in tourneys... too many games in a short period of time.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
patrick
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by patrick »

Cmoke wrote:No Eboue?

No who will translate from N. Korean to the team nah?

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
It is hard for Eboue to displace Serge Aurier (Toulouse) and Brice Dja Djédjé (Marseille), both are better RBs on current form.
When people try to use you to gain relevance, just ignore them. It pains them even more
patrick
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by patrick »

papparassi Sport wrote:Ebue deserves to be in this team than Kolo Toure..
There are 2 other better RBs (Serge Aurier (Toulouse), Brice Dja Djédjé (Marseille) in the team so exclusion of Eboue is understandable.
When people try to use you to gain relevance, just ignore them. It pains them even more
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

CIV has 'looked good on paper' for the last 2 WCs and 5 ACNs. The net result? 2 meaningless WC wins and 0 ACN titles. Ironically, despite this being their weakest side in nearly a decade, they still have a good chance of advancing out of their group. Colombia might be without their best player. Japan, while formidable, have an awful defence and are physically inferior to the Ivorians. Greece are always tough to play against but are beatable. Of all the WC groups, this one is the most unpredictable.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Cellular wrote:
Juventuss, don't tell me that you are one of those that is infatuated with a list of names.

Mexico showed how to run them ragged and drag them out of position... with zero recovery skills. They will once again play Yaya too far forward that they will lose his effectiveness...

tell that to the legendary Domenech, I know he's a great coach but he did it with old men
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

Cellular wrote:

Mexico ?? :rotf: Irrelevant friendly that no one cared about.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

King Futcha wrote:
Cellular wrote:

tell that to the legendary Domenech, I know he's a great coach but he did it with old men
Bia, "King" Joe Frazer, Domumunech was lucky to have the legendary Zidane, Makalele, Thuram and Thierry. This kine old bobos no be joke.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If IVC get their act together they will be hard to handle. That is a powerful team. If I was Lamouchi I'd play a 4-3-3 with Yaya, Tiote (he loves a tackle!) and Zokora as a midfielder, with Drogba as the center forward and Kony and Gervinho either side of him.

Where is Eboue?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I still maintain that IVC are Africa's best hope at this World Cup.
wiseone wrote:If IVC get their act together they will be hard to handle. That is a powerful team. If I was Lamouchi I'd play a 4-3-3 with Yaya, Tiote (he loves a tackle!) and Zokora as a midfielder, with Drogba as the center forward and Kony and Gervinho either side of him.

Where is Eboue?
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

Jaidi wrote:
Greece is garbage, you cannot convince me otherwise. Colombia and Japan are good teams but CIV certainly is more than good enough to match their level and get out of the group.

As much as people call them chokers, they performed well in two incredibly tough groups their past two World Cups.
Finally get a manageable group and they got a result. They will just need 3 points from Greece to go through. Bravo! :clap:
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

Still our best hope! Looks Drogba will come off the bench again. Way to stick to your guns Lamouchi :thumb:
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Jaidi wrote:

Ok, a tie against Greece and CIV MIGHT be heading home....
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

CIV will go through, easily at that. Japan will give Colombia a fight and Greece should easily succumb to CIV.