ARGENTINA'S PRELIMINARY WORLD CUP SQUAD: No Tevez

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet
ARGENTINA'S PRELIMINARY WORLD CUP SQUAD: No Tevez

Post by Maradona »

Finally it's here. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

No Carlos Tevez. You guys can have him boost your attack. :lol:

GOALKEEPERS: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andújar, Agustín Orion.

DEFENDERS: Ezequiel Garay, Federico Fernández, Pablo Zabaleta, Marcos Rojo, José María Basanta, Hugo Campagaro, Nicolás Otamendi, Martín Demichelis, Gabriel Mercado, Lisandro López.

MIDFIELDERS: Fernando Gago, Lucas Biglia, Javier Mascherano, Ever Banega, Angel Di María, Maximiliano Rodríguez, Ricardo Alvarez, Augusto Fernández, Enzo Pérez, José Sosa, Fabian Rinaudo.

FORWARDS: Sergio Agüero, Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuaín, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Rodrigo Palacio, Di Santo.
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ARGENTINA'S PRELIMINARY WORLD CUP SQUAD: No Tevez

Post by Maradona »

I am delighted that Enzo Perez of Benfica has been included. He is arguably the most inform Argentine midfielder this season, and he should go to Brazil.
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Maradona wrote:GOALKEEPERS: Sergio Romero,
Their biggest weakness.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Sunset wrote:
Their biggest weakness.

I eagerly await Osaze, Emenike and Musa running at Demichelis. :drool: We just need to have some control of the ball in the middle and avoid the farce of 2002.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

metalalloy wrote:
Sunset wrote:
Their biggest weakness.

I eagerly await Osaze, Emenike and Musa running at Demichelis. :drool: We just need to have some control of the ball in the middle and avoid the farce of 2002.
Keep dreaming. He may even be cut from the squad. Garay, Fernandez or even Otamendi will be the centre-backs. :lol:

Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Sunset wrote:
Their biggest weakness.
I think it's the entire defence. Then again, if Keshi wants help, make he drop and I go give am all di low down on Argentina. Every little detail. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

No Ike Uche? I mean, Carlos Tevex? Him refuse to drop? Apologize? How Ke$hi manage to hammer even 4 Argentina?

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Cmoke wrote:No Ike Uche? I mean, Carlos Tevex? Him refuse to drop? Apologize? How Ke$hi manage to hammer even 4 Argentina?

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Go and check his goalscoring record for Argentina and then compare it with the records of Messi, Aguero and Higuain. You will start weeping. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

:scared: :scared: :scared: how we no go chop 3 goals?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Argentina coach dey take benchwarming goalie and dude with knee injury go World Cup.

http://news.yahoo.com/tevez-excluded-ar ... 17121.html
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote::scared: :scared: :scared: how we no go chop 3 goals?
I can help you score 2 in return, but una must drop. :)

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

My broda, I am not too convinced we can pull this one off. WE will easily win OUR group and WE will make any of the Group E runner-ups hear wen (including France). Similarly, none of OUR prospective QF opponents will be favorites against US in OUR continent with tens of thousands of OUR fans in attendance. However, come SF time (which I am confident WE will reach), I don dey shake over the prospects of meeting Spain or Italy. Assuming the almighty is on our side on July 9 in Sao Paulo, WE will probably run into either of OUR husbands - Brazil or Germany - in the final. Defeating Germany in Brazil? Possible. Defeating Brazil in Brazil? Never in a million years. Realistically speaking, I think Argentina can beat 30 of the 32 teams in this tournament except Spain, who will easily choke out our midfield and Brazil who will simply not lose to Argentina at a WC in its own back-yard.

As for the Argentina team, Aguero, Higuain and Messi are probably going to finish among the tournament's high scorers. Argentina is likely going to play 7 matches in this tournament (Again, I think going to the semis is very realistic) and these guys should do the business up until then. Our midfield is alright but it is way too lightweight IMO, and a 3-man midfield with Di Maria in the middle is going to get bossed around by any of the main contenders. If it was up to me, I'd either drop Di Maria for a real CM or put him up top in place of Higuain. Higuain is a liability IMO and from a purely tactical POV, it would make more sense IMO for Aguero to play alone in front of Messi and with 4 CMs. I would not mind Di Maria at CM if we go with a diamond midfield which would morph into a 3-headed attack when we have possession (Di Maria, Aguero and Messi).

Assuming we go ahead with the expected midfield of Di Maria, Mascherano and Banega/Biglia and Messi, Aguero and Higuain, the more unlikely I think it is Argentina will even advance to the final. Against a midfield dominant opponent, Messi, Aguero and Higuain will be rendered useless and our defence exposed with neither of those 3 providing any defensive cover.

Something like this would maximize Argentina's chances IMO:

-----------Mascherano-----------
------CM--------------CM------
-------------Messi--------------
------Aguero------Di Maria-------

or...

-------Masch----CM------------
---CM-----------------Di Maria---
------------Messi---------------
--------Aguero------------------

I am a big proponent of using Di Maria in an advanced role where not only will he create chances but will track back to defend. The same cannot be said of Higuain who can neither create chances nor can defend :boo:

Anyways, I think Argentina will finish either 3rd or 4th in July.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Heliopolis wrote:My broda, I am not too convinced we can pull this one off. WE will easily win OUR group and WE will make any of the Group E runner-ups hear wen (including France). Similarly, none of OUR prospective QF opponents will be favorites against US in OUR continent with tens of thousands of OUR fans in attendance. However, come SF time (which I am confident WE will reach), I don dey shake over the prospects of meeting Spain or Italy. Assuming the almighty is on our side on July 9 in Sao Paulo, WE will probably run into either of OUR husbands - Brazil or Germany - in the final. Defeating Germany in Brazil? Possible. Defeating Brazil in Brazil? Never in a million years. Realistically speaking, I think Argentina can beat 30 of the 32 teams in this tournament except Spain, who will easily choke out our midfield and Brazil who will simply not lose to Argentina at a WC in its own back-yard.

As for the Argentina team, Aguero, Higuain and Messi are probably going to finish among the tournament's high scorers. Argentina is likely going to play 7 matches in this tournament (Again, I think going to the semis is very realistic) and these guys should do the business up until then. Our midfield is alright but it is way too lightweight IMO, and a 3-man midfield with Di Maria in the middle is going to get bossed around by any of the main contenders. If it was up to me, I'd either drop Di Maria for a real CM or put him up top in place of Higuain. Higuain is a liability IMO and from a purely tactical POV, it would make more sense IMO for Aguero to play alone in front of Messi and with 4 CMs. I would not mind Di Maria at CM if we go with a diamond midfield which would morph into a 3-headed attack when we have possession (Di Maria, Aguero and Messi).

Assuming we go ahead with the expected midfield of Di Maria, Mascherano and Banega/Biglia and Messi, Aguero and Higuain, the more unlikely I think it is Argentina will even advance to the final. Against a midfield dominant opponent, Messi, Aguero and Higuain will be rendered useless and our defence exposed with neither of those 3 providing any defensive cover.

Something like this would maximize Argentina's chances IMO:

-----------Mascherano-----------
------CM--------------CM------
-------------Messi--------------
------Aguero------Di Maria-------

or...

I am a big proponent of using Di Maria in an advanced role where not only will he create chances but will track back to defend. The same cannot be said of Higuain who can neither create chances nor can defend :boo:

Anyways, I think Argentina will finish either 3rd or 4th in July.
My God you are now Argentina citizen?
You guys will be runners up at the group and face France.France will knock you guys out.Spain might not top their group and will face Brazil.I will not be surprise if they dont make the knockout stage.German is going home in first round,e go do some of you guys like film trick
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Heliopolis wrote:

:thumb:
This is exactly how they should line up up front. But something tells me Higuain will be paired with Aguero therefore one of the CM will have to make way. But if they go with the formation you described above, I see Messi doing the Maradona of '86.

However, knowing Aguero has been a glass for the past season or two, he might get hurt again in the first or second game of the WC. When that happens do you start Higuain or Lavezzi in place of Aguero?
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

kolinzo wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

:thumb:
This is exactly how they should line up up front. But something tells me Higuain will be paired with Aguero therefore one of the CM will have to make way. But if they go with the formation you described above, I see Messi doing the Maradona of '86.

However, knowing Aguero has been a glass for the past season or two, he might get hurt again in the first or second game of the WC. When that happens do you start Higuain or Lavezzi in place of Aguero?
I'm not a fan of Higuain at all to be honest and I do not see he brings to the table that Messi and Aguero do not. Going with them 3 up top worked well in qualifiers but this is the World Cup. Any well-balanced team can shut down Argentina by over-loading the middle of the park. If Argentina go into a big match with Aguero, Higuain and Messi up front, I can almost guarantee the three of them will be rendered useless by a team that uses 5 midfield players to cut off Argentina's supply lines.

To answer your question, assuming Aguero were to go down, I would use Higuain although again, I think he is a major liability. Not only is he poor at creating chances, but he is also a poor finisher. In the big WC matches where you may only get 2-3 chances the entire game, you need to be able to bury whatever slim pickings you come across and Higuain is not that type of striker. I'm not a big fan of Lavezzi either, who to me, is a less-skilled Tevez, but his constant hustle is something he does much better than a lot of attackers out there including Higuain. On the flip side, Lavezzi is nowhere near the goalscoring threat Higuain is.

If it were entirely up to me, I'd use Di Maria up top in place of Higuain because not only can he score and create goals, he will add an extra layer to Argentina's defence. I think using him in a 3-man midfield against the big boys will result in Argentina's elimination.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Aguero looks like he is made out of glass these days, getting injured every two seconds.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

I see Argentina are still making the same mistake! Playing Messi as a playmaker! Why not put him in his preferred position of up front? Smh
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

B!GGESTMAN wrote:I see Argentina are still making the same mistake! Playing Messi as a playmaker! Why not put him in his preferred position of up front? Smh
Messi has thrived in the #10 position under Sabella. He has 18 goals in his last 16 NT matches. Argentina also finished first in WCQs so it has worked for them.
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

Heliopolis wrote:
B!GGESTMAN wrote:I see Argentina are still making the same mistake! Playing Messi as a playmaker! Why not put him in his preferred position of up front? Smh
Messi has thrived in the #10 position under Sabella. He has 18 goals in his last 16 NT matches. Argentina also finished first in WCQs so it has worked for them.
Messi has never played in the most forward position for Argentina for an extended period of time. We have seen the numbers he puts up for Barca when he is furthest upfront- this season he has been poor but scored 41 goals in 44 games! But they won't play him in that position for Argentina! Absolutely retarded! :roll:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Cmoke wrote:Argentina coach dey take benchwarming goalie and dude with knee injury go World Cup.

http://news.yahoo.com/tevez-excluded-ar ... 17121.html
Brown Envelop :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

B!GGESTMAN wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
Messi has never played in the most forward position for Argentina for an extended period of time. We have seen the numbers he puts up for Barca when he is furthest upfront- this season he has been poor but scored 41 goals in 44 games! But they won't play him in that position for Argentina! Absolutely retarded! :roll:
You did not pay attention to the points I put forward. Messi in the hole has worked very well for Argentina. He cannot play up top for Argentina because they do not have ball distributors as good as they do on Barcelona.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Maradona wrote:
Sunset wrote:
Their biggest weakness.
I think it's the entire defence. Then again, if Keshi wants help, make he drop and I go give am all di low down on Argentina. Every little detail. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
So Maradona, you still dey want to collect from Keshi - eh? Meeee! No wa-o!!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.