Landon Donovan did not make USMNT final 23

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Landon Donovan did not make USMNT final 23

Post by ohenhen1 »

Rawlings wrote:So, my Naija cousins, who do you put your money on for their first game?

The US team is weak, my money is on Ghana to cover.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

If this was Afrika, Donovan would be spending the nights at the White House to have Obama include him into the team ... through the backdoor. Just ask Cameroon how Roger Milla got added to the squad in 1990, 1994 and Bell in 1994.
That's how we do things in pays !!!
Bepanda
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Donavan did put on weightG but this droppings get ad e be. I expect ghana to beat the crap out of USA . 4 zip
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

No Johnson and now no Donovan? Is Klinsmann nuts? Anyway he better start updating his resume plus a bullet proof vest cuz a major bullseye just went up on his back. Even the most useless US sports commentator will go to town on this ...smh
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Kolinzo wrote this a couple of weeks ago:
kolinzo wrote:Now this list is a good list and the guys picked are capable of beating any team in the world on any given day. Depending on the formation, Altidore, Dempsey, Landon should be a handful for the Ghanaians. Johansson should also be a handful for the Ghanaians if he is picked.

However, I must state that Landon Donovan has to take the back sit on this one. He does not necessarily have to be on the bench but the ball cannot be going through him all the time. I don't think he's getting along with Clint Dempsey anymore. Dempsey on the other hand cannot play like he owns this team -I trust Klinsman to call him to order. I know for a fact that Jozy Altidore will give 110%. So, Dempsey and Donovan must, MUST share the ball.

I like the defense. Goodson and Cameron are a good pair. Beasley will keep the his opponents honest, Chandler or Fabian will do the same on the right.

In the midfield, my boy M. Bradley, aka box2box X Box, will have a good WC again barring injury. Jermaine Jones is a sure starter staying put in the DM, Zusi or Diskerud (or both depending on the formation) will have a blast.

This team should be built around M. Bradley, aka box2box X Box.

Let me warn you guys, the Yanks are coming!!
Now I anticipated the omission of Landon Donovan but I wasn't ready to just discard him yet. I do think the U.S. is going to miss him but truth be told, the guys picked are more than capable of getting the job done. This team is going to be built around my boy M. Bradley, aka box2box X box. Bradley is the best thing to ever happen to American soccer. He's got heart, talent, skillz, and dedication. He is an American!

Anyway, I hope those German boys in this squad have been psychologically trained to be Americans. They will be playing for the home of the brave where there is no crying in baseball! Good stuff Klinsy. Now let's roll!!!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

bepanda wrote:If this was Afrika, Donovan would be spending the nights at the White House to have Obama include him into the team ... through the backdoor. Just ask Cameroon how Roger Milla got added to the squad in 1990, 1994 and Bell in 1994.
That's how we do things in pays !!!
Bepanda

and that only brought you a qf spot, talk about being ungrateful :D
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

juventuss wrote:Wow...
2014 USA 23-MAN WORLD CUP ROSTER:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/England), Tim Howard (Everton/England), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/Germany), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/England), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg/Germany), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim/Germany), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/France), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg/Norway), Julian Green (Bayern Munich/Germany), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas/Turkey), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland/England), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Here was my pick a couple of weeks ago:
kolinzo wrote:
Defense:
Damarcus Beasley, Clarence Goodson, Fabian Johnson, Geoff Cameron, Timmy Chandler, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez

Midfield:
Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi, Alejandro Bedoya, Maurice Edu, Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Kyle Beckerman

Forward: Jozy Altidore, Terrence Boyd (or Johannson, Aron), Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Chris Wondolowski.

And of course the three goalies are going.
Given the fact that I almost hit the Bulls Eyez, I pretty much feel good about USA's chances this coming WC. :thumb:

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

***Breda = Br****
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Good move. US wasn't going anywhere anyway but this means they're not carrying any unnecessary fat. Tough call but the right one.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

femibyte wrote:Hmm, brave decision by Klinsmann, if Donovan were an African player, would his coach have the cojones to exclude him ??
Especially if Klinsmann were the best player that African nation had ever produced.
The mention of Ike Uche by Keshi doesn't even equate to what Klinsmann just did. Not a smart decision imo and Klinsmann has had an issue w/Donovan since he took the job.
Cmoke wrote:Donovan jerked the team around for a while. This na payback!

Looks to me that this world cup will be full of youngsters.

So be prepared for Keshi's young team!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D
Donovan did no such thing. He didn't "jerk" the team around. This isn't like Kevin Prince Boateng retiring and unretiring or basically refusing to play in WCQ's etc and then magically being ready to return to the fold during the World Cup year.

Donovan took time off that most people that know what he has dealt with since 1999/2000 would try to understand. A lot of fans in the US choose to ignore that and so has Klinsmann.

Either way, I have no qualms rooting for Ghana in that group vs Klinsmann and Aunty Berti.

--------------------------------------------
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

DAgrin wrote:I wonder why Marcus DaBeasley is listed as a defender..last time I saw him he played as a striker.
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

anikulapo wrote:No Johnson and now no Donovan? Is Klinsmann nuts? Anyway he better start updating his resume plus a bullet proof vest cuz a major bullseye just went up on his back. Even the most useless US sports commentator will go to town on this ...smh
...maybe he sabi our own Keshi's TONY THE HARRIS too...hahahaha...if Klins delievers no problem...
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Wale, why the surprise? Marcus DaBeasley has reinvented himself and his name.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Metho scorpion wrote:
anikulapo wrote:No Johnson and now no Donovan? Is Klinsmann nuts? Anyway he better start updating his resume plus a bullet proof vest cuz a major bullseye just went up on his back. Even the most useless US sports commentator will go to town on this ...smh
...maybe he sabi our own Keshi's TONY THE HARRIS too...hahahaha...if Klins delievers no problem...

Nah, the German Americans all have different agents and the regular American players are split pretty much down the middle between the two major US agents. No American Tony Harris infiltrating the US team.

--------------------------------------------
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

This US team looks weak. Honestly Ghana should manhandle them.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

vancity eagle wrote:This US team looks weak. Honestly Ghana should manhandle them.
What about your CIV?????????????????
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

juventuss wrote:Wow...
2014 USA 23-MAN WORLD CUP ROSTER:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/England), Tim Howard (Everton/England), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/Germany), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/England), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg/Germany), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim/Germany), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/France), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg/Norway), Julian Green (Bayern Munich/Germany), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas/Turkey), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland/England), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Will be an interesting match against Germany
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Klinsmann is going to take a lot of heat after the US team crashes and burns in Brazil. The pitch forks have already been lit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bret- hart wrote:Klinsmann is going to take a lot of heat after the US team crashes and burns in Brazil. The pitch forks have already been lit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truth is it is very unlikely Donovan would have had much impact in this group anyways, but it is still a boneheaded decision.

On a seperate note let us hope that Ke$hit does not try and pull this nonsense.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Image
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Una dey make me laugh. Donovan, while he's got heart, has been majorly too good for himself. After taking a look at America's hexagonal games I pretty much had my doubts he was going to make it and I said he would have to take the back seat. But I put him in my prediction anyway (because he is America's darling), stating that he'd have to start from the bench or the team must not play around him as it was in the past.

The truth of the matter is, Donovan outdid himself. Also I don't think he is getting along with some of the players -especially with Klint Dempsey. The truth of the matter is, everybody in America is saying USA will be three and done. No one is genuinely giving them a chance to advance because of Germany, Portugal, and Ghana. However, there will be a lot of surprises this WC.

***Breda = Br****
femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann declared, "The media thinks [Landon] is untouchable. ... The media thinks he should be in Brazil based on what he did ... but that is not how it works. I have to choose the 23 best players based on what I see today."
The inside story of Jurgen Klinsmann's decision to cut Landon Donovan by Roger Bennett
Why was Landon Donovan cut from the U.S. World Cup squad? Roger Bennett takes you inside the story
ESPNFC.COM

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/releg ... 44?cc=5901

The inside story of Jurgen Klinsmann's decision to cut Landon Donovan
Posted by Roger Bennett
RECOMMEND1KTWEET100EMAIL
No doubt, many U.S. fans woke up this morning hoping that Landon Donovan's failure to make the final 23 for the World Cup roster was a bad dream. It wasn't.

In truth, the signs have always been there. An honest Donovan admitted to us in Los Angeles, for the first episode of Inside: U.S. Soccer's March to Brazil, that "I can’t train 12 straight days in a row and have 12 great days in a row. Physically, it is not possible. My body breaks down; I'm getting older."

On the same day, U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann declared, "The media thinks [Landon] is untouchable. ... The media thinks he should be in Brazil based on what he did ... but that is not how it works. I have to choose the 23 best players based on what I see today."

In football, there is the emotional and the rational. The U.S. team is headed to Brazil, aware they must face a grueling trifecta of challenges -- not only the opposition, but an unforgiving trek around the continent-sized nation and microwave-oven heat. Italian coach Cesare Prandelli learned at the end of the Confederations Cup last year that to win the World Cup he needed not just his nation's "23 best footballers, but the 23 best athletes." After watching Donovan struggle in the second half against Mexico in Phoenix, and train this week in the Californian heat, Klinsmann has determined that in his current shape, his star is not one of the United States' best athletes.

Yet it is impossible to ignore the emotional. Donovan is lauded by many as the greatest American ever to kick a World Cup football. His 156 caps and five World Cup goals stand as testament. He gave the nation an Algeria goal that still stands as U.S. soccer's greatest "SportsCenter" moment. He is the rare footballer whom American mothers name their children after. The timing of his cut has deprived an American legend of the opportunity to make a dignified departure from the team.

ESPN's Inside crew videotaped Klinsmann's address to his final 23 when they assembled together as a unit for the first time in the locker room post-cuts. "It is a bitter pill to swallow," Klinsmann admitted to the team. "Not easy even on the coach. You don't even want to know how they feel right now. … It hurts them, it hurts me, too."

Klinsmann then focused on the task at hand: "I am telling you, I am so excited to have 23 guys going to Brazil and rock the boat and give everything you have and maybe make things happen that nobody is expecting from us ... and you are those guys."

Landon Donovan is not one of those guys. And for a dignified exit, you need look no further than his final words in the first episode: "At the end of it all, I love being a part of this team. This team and this game has given so much to me, and I come at it now from a place of wanting to help. If I get to play, I will be ecstatic. ... If I don't for whatever reason, I will be the No. 1 cheerleader."
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com