Spain announce 23-man World Cup squad

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
Spain announce 23-man World Cup squad

Post by Purity »

Following the win, Del Bosque admitted in his post-match press conference that newcomers, Ander Iturraspe and Alberto Moreno had failed to make the cut, while it would be difficult for Jesus Navas to be fully fit by the start of their opening match against Holland.

The 23-man squad list is as follows:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli/Liverpool), David De Gea (Manchester United)

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Napoli), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Koke (Atletico Madrid), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Pedro (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Juan Mata (Manchester United)

Forwards: Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), David Villa (Atletico Madrid)

Exclusions: Alvaro Negredo (Manchester City), Fernando Llorente (Juventus), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), Alberto Moreno (Sevilla), Jesus Navas (Manchester City)

The squad features: Three from Real Madrid, seven from Barcelona, four from Atletico Madrid, two from Manchester United, two from Chelsea, two from Napoli, one from Bayern

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/11 ... cup-squad/
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Spain announce 23-man World Cup squad

Post by Purity »

Why drop Fernando Llorente??
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Very solid squad!!
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

papparassi Sport wrote:Why drop Fernando Llorente??
I'm more surprised by Negredo's exclusion. Especially with concerns over Costa's injury.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Mata makes it. So happy for him. Mumurinho almost messed up his chances.

See Spain's 3 keepers. Dang!
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

balo wrote:Mata makes it. So happy for him. Mumurinho almost messed up his chances.

See Spain's 3 keepers. Dang!
I didn't notice. I was too busy salivating at the midfield.
Who will be next?
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

I feel sad for Nevas too.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

So Torres made it. Based on what?

Even Iker!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

So Diego Costa who is injured made it? Looks like Del Bosque don hammer. Well if he was Nigerian that is what the fans would have been telling us.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Santi Cazorla going to the world cup! He may have benefited from Thiago Alca's injury at Bayern..
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I dont understand how you can justify selecting Torres for this team.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Heliopolis wrote:I dont understand how you can justify selecting Torres for this team.

Is there any real alternative? Costa might have a niggling injury. Villa is not a go to man. Llorente has never done anything when given the chance for Spain.

Torres definitely hasn't been world class. In some ways he's even a bust, especially after coming back from injury. But he still scores in interesting matches. He's big, powerful, and fast enough. More than any other Spanish forward, he doesn't seem to need that perfect pass and can be physical and mix it up.

I think this is a justified gamble, hoping he shows some form. Again, Spain doesn't exactly have a lot to choose from at forward.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Guess he wants to play with a false 9 and Torres clearly fits that system.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

the Juventus strikers (Tevez and Llorente) were banging in goals all season for their club yet they were dropped from their respective National teams. Makes no damn sense to me..Yet the comical Torres gets selected? This is the year Spain gets found out..
Lager-back
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lager-back »

U guys are really questioning Torres selection? He is del bosque boy and he has cut it for Spain in the past 3 tournaments. Get ready for a film trick.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

mate wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:I dont understand how you can justify selecting Torres for this team.

Is there any real alternative? Costa might have a niggling injury. Villa is not a go to man. Llorente has never done anything when given the chance for Spain.

Torres definitely hasn't been world class. In some ways he's even a bust, especially after coming back from injury. But he still scores in interesting matches. He's big, powerful, and fast enough. More than any other Spanish forward, he doesn't seem to need that perfect pass and can be physical and mix it up.

I think this is a justified gamble, hoping he shows some form. Again, Spain doesn't exactly have a lot to choose from at forward.

Cheers, Mate
When was the last time you saw Torres play?

He is not fast. He is not powerful. The way Spain plays, they do not need a powerful striker, and they do not play the ball in the air so they do not need an aerial threat either.

He has been awful at the club level for 4 consecutive seasons now. In 110 league matches for Chelsea he has scored 20 goals. 1 goal nearly every 6 matches.

Ofcourse you will ask, 'what is his record for Spain'? 11 goals in 25 NT matches in the last 4 years. Not bad right? Except that 4 goals came against Tahiti, 2 in an easy win over Ireland, a useless goal vs Italy in a match Spain won 4-0, etc. The guy scored 0 goals in WCQ for Spain. I fail to see any justification whatsoever for him being on Spain's 2014 WC team. None.

Even if you take away his absymal scoring abilities, he adds absolutely nothing to Spain's attack. He slows it down, he is a poor passer and his off-ball movement is poor. The guy is the definition of a minus one.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I said he was a bust in some ways. Right? And I have been watching him on and off, to the extend Chelsea games are shown on TV.

Again, he's powerful and fast enough, especially by Spanish forward standards. He'll contest and mix it up where a Villa won't. He might provide an grit and random taking of opportunity that seems to elude the Spanish attack.

Again, I didn't see a compelling alternative.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

My thoughts exactly. Llorente is quality. He is also different from their other strikers and offers variation in attack. Have to say - that squad is class personified. Glad Nigeria is not in their group!
papparassi Sport wrote:Why drop Fernando Llorente??